/dist/images/branding/favicon

Image stabilized lenses on M5

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Andrew Oh, May 11, 2014.

1. Andrew Oh

Andrew Oh New Member

Hey guys,

First of all, thanks for all the great info here on the forums. So I just picked up a Canon 28 2.8 IS lens to use with my new M5 on a 5DIII. Would engaging the image stabilization affect the performance of the Movi? I did a search and it appears another member here turns on the IS. Thanks for the help guys.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

That’s a very good question. Many folks (myself included) use IS lenses on our cameras. I use the Canon 24/IS on my 5D Mark III and the 12-35 OIS on my GH3 and GH4 and I always leave the IS enabled. But I can’t say as I’ve ever done a scientific comparison of it with and without.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I seem to remember somewhere that Canon's advice was not to use the IS if you have the camera on a fixed tripod, so you have to wonder whether the MōVI would "seem" like a fixed tripod....hmmm.

That said, on thinking about it, though, while it might hold the camera steady, there are still going to be forces acting on the camera as you move with the MōVI. I think I'd leave the IS enabled and see if Bad Things Happen.

Andy.

4. aziz khan

aziz khan New Member

I was reading somewhere that the new lenses designed for the 70d have an active IS that can distinguish between the type of stabilization required

5. Andrew Oh

Andrew Oh New Member

Thanks for the answers guys. I'll do some tests and see what I can find and I'll report back.

6. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

This was true of the very first Canon IS lens (I think it was a 70-300), which did have the capability of shaking itself to pieces if it was secured to a tripod. However, that “feature” was eliminated and there is no longer such issues.

I might imagine that there could be some degree of subtle resonance feedback that could develop between the lens and the MōVI when both are doing their thing. But the nature of the lens’ translation runs in different axes than the gimbal’s right?

7. A few things to take in account that will hopefully help. 1) The IS systems on lenses (and in-body IS) were/are initially designed for STILL photography, NOT video. 2) I have never used IS when shooting video, it is not recommended to use any in camera/lens IS when shooting video, especially if you are doing any sort of Post editing that involves extensive rendering and/or post stabilization. Remember, the MoVI doesn't know it has a camera attached to it, it never communicates with the camera, let alone, what any IS system/function is doing.

Steve Maller likes this.
  8. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

I have used IS on my 70-200 and I have found, even on a tripod it helps quite a bit. Of course on that lens, its supposed to disable in the event the camera is still so it might not be doing much. The one time I shot with it off, the camera picked up vibrations that I had to fix in post. That said, for wide angle lenses, I would not bother. I have no IS lenses for use with the Movi and have yet to see any reason why I would want this. I prefer lower F-stop then IS and have zoom's.

9. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Back with the servo gimbals and even with some of the poorly-tuned DIY brushless gimbals, if any vibration/shaking got through to the camera then I found IS to be of help, but only on certain lenses. The canon 18-55mm I once had did not do much good, but the IS in panasonic lenses I have always used and it definitely helped.
    Those were the old days though. The movi doesn't need it. When they first released the zenmuse they told everyone specifically NOT to use IS.
    The only situation it might help is when shooting with really long lenses. Otherwise, it might be fighting you and I would advise having it off.