/dist/images/branding/favicon

Epic + LEICA Summilux-C

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Markus Mueller, May 2, 2014.

1. Markus Mueller

Hello community,

I´ve got a job coming up and the client plans to use Leica Summilux-C lenses on an Epic. I wonder if that lenses are not to long to adjust the roll balance ? Does anyone have expirences or suggestions ?

I don´t have a chance to test the setup before the shooting day, and it´s not that far away :)

Best Markus

2. I think you meant to say tilt balance, not Roll Balance.

3. Markus Mueller

I´m sorry - tilt.

4. Charlie Beyer

Charlie Beyer Member

Yes it will be the tilt balance that will not be possible. There has been much discussion about longer pipes to get the camera further forward from the roll gimbal and I'm not sure if those rods are available. Until then I have added counter balance to the back bottom of the epic. Under the power cable. The added weight is a drag but I've found I the only way to get heavier lenses on the camera. I made and aluminum plate that screws into the camera with a steel bar kind of like a roll of nickels on the back end. The Movi sliding base plate thing screws into that. Keep in mind I don't put any other weight on the gimbal other than the camera body, redmote, focus motor, and lens. Everything else is up on the handle bars or in a belt battery pack. If your showing up without a prep, I'd have something similar ready or ask for some lighter lens. If you can't balance the camera you'll be shooting hand held.

5. Markus Mueller

Hi Charlie,
    thanks for your answer, and thanks a lot for the tip about the added weight. This will help a lot in my upcoming lens discussion.

All the best from overseas.

6. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

I suggest u try to get hold of a M15 or wait for the upgrade.

7. Mark Pugh

Mark Pugh New Member

I've balanced the Summilux with an Epic in the M10. Preston focus motor. No weights needed.
    The payload seemed a little heavy, though, and it was a relief to get back to lighter lenses afterwards. The Summicron would be easier.

8. Charlie Beyer

Charlie Beyer Member

Mark, Do you have stock tubes on the front to back and are you limited on your tilt with your config? Where is the MDR? Which motor are you using. I am only asking because I wasn't even close to getting balance with a Bartek digital motor which is about the same weight as the DM2 and would love to get all these different lens set ups clean and mentally thought out.

9. Mark Pugh

Mark Pugh New Member

Yes standard m10. Strange. I definitely balanced OK. The FF was a preston. reciever on the top hande.

10. Charlie Beyer

Charlie Beyer Member

copy thanks
    I happen to have a CF Epic so its lighter weight and must be the x factor.

11. Mark Pugh

Mark Pugh New Member

Yep. That weight difference might mean a half inch or more of fore/aft balance with a summilux on board.