/dist/images/branding/favicon

GH4 HDMI out for FPV

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Steve Maller, May 5, 2014.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

It looks like the GH4 only supports 1080P or 4K for output while recording. That's a bummer because the Freefly HDMI converter really only likes 1080i, and gets super hot when it's doing 1080P.

I know of the other options out there, but has anybody found a way around this, or is there a way to get the Freefly HDMI converter to be less stressed with 1080P?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Sigh.
    There's always a catch, isn't there....
    I've not tried 1080P with, say the Kopterworx HDMI converter....don't have anything that shoots 4K. Hint. ;)

Andy.

3. Steve Maller

Is anybody stocking the Kopterworx HDMI converter here in the USA? I tried one of the cheapie Amazon things but it was way too flimsy and didn’t work very well. Had to resolder a couple of things that fell off the board. :mad:

Chris Delaney likes this.
  4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't think so Steve. Bart at MRF was selling them but I remember a post on MRF where he no longer has them available.

5. Marco Godles

Marco Godles New Member

Steve, I can confirm that Kopterworx's HDMI converter works great with 1080p output. Haven't tested on the GH4 yet as im still waiting for mine... however every other camera I've thrown at it has had no issues.

6. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Steve, how did you get HDMI output on the GH4 with that Amazon converter? I just got one as a temporary solution, and cannot get the GH4 to output video with it. My Canon 7D worked with it, but haven't had luck with the GH4. No matter what settings I change in camera or the order on which to power things up, still can't get a signal. Tried hooking the GH4 directly to my HD TV and still no signal. Tried different cables and adapters, tried with/without 5v power. Nothing. :(

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

7. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

I have a GH4 wired up with the microHDMI to standard HDMI to smallHD DP4 monitor. If I don't power up the monitor first then the camera there is no signal to the monitor. If I power the monitor then the camera I get a video signal. I don't recall this being a problem with the GH3.

Greetings,
    Adam

8. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

I have tried powering monitor, then camera but it doesnt work. I checked the manual for the GH4 and it says to press the Playback button (to review photo/video), and a message pops up on the GH4 saying "Connection to TV" or something, but no image. I have been hearing this is an issue with some GH4's, maybe I just got a bad one.

9. Steve Maller

There are two different sets of HDMI Settings on the GH4, one for live view and the other for playback. Maybe your live view is set for 4K? It should be set to automatic or 1080P. But maybe your Amazon HDMI converter is dead? I didn’t get mine to work, but I didn’t try very hard. My Freefly HDMI converter is still working...but barely. It’s running super hot because it prefers 1080i, but I don’t think there’s any way to get 1080i out of the GH4’s HDMI port.

But my HDMI out is definitely working.

10. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

Hey Steve,

My wife may be jumping down south in the morning to ship some stuff, would you like to try my Kopterworx converter? I've got no immediate pending jobs as I'm working my gimbal on some shoots instead of flying. PM me if interested.

Duane

11. Steve Maller

Thanks for the offer, but I’m OK with what I have for now. If I liked it, I wouldn’t give it back, anyway. :rolleyes:

12. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

Offer stands, just let me know if/when you'd like to try it.

13. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I have no issues with HDMI out. I'm using a mini HDMI to AV converter which is sold on amazon. Output is set to auto.

14. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

Turns out the cables I was using were shoddy! Just got the HyperThin one in the mail today and it works great! Nice HDMI output from the GH4, although down converting 4k to 1080 slows down the AF time with my lens set up. Not a huge deal since I lock the manual focus, but thought its worth noting.

Heres the cable, gonna order a couple more as back up! http://www.hypershop.com/HyperThin/HTU08-BLACK.html

Steve Maller likes this.
  15. Stefanie Williams

Stefanie Williams New Member

Hi guys, I've been trying to find a HyperThin cable everywhere! Anyone have any ideas where I can get one in the UK? or does anyone know of a good alternative? Thanks in advance!

16. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

17. hugo burns

hugo burns Member

18. Stefanie Williams

Stefanie Williams New Member

Hi Alex and Hugo,

Thanks for the info. I notice one is in the US which will probably take months to arrive here and the other at kopter worx are out of stock! sob sob! lol.

Thxx

19. Alex Fuller

Alex Fuller Member

The shipping was pretty quick when I ordered from Hyperthin both on ebay and their store. I'm sure it would only be two weeks or so, still slow but at least it'd be on the way!

Stefanie Williams likes this.
  20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Stephanie: I'm originally from the UK -- I'll ask around amongst our Brit friends and see if we can find someone to bring the cable over if that would help...Any forum members States-side and heading to the UK?

Andy.