/dist/images/branding/favicon

Transporting MoVI M5 - Disassemble/Case

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Curtis Huisman, May 5, 2014.

1. Curtis Huisman

Curtis Huisman New Member

I'm trying to figure out how I am going to fly with my MoVI M5 next Monday. I've decided I'm only going to be taking my MoVI and cameras (5D, 7D) with accessories on this trip with me. I have a backpack that fits my cameras and lenses in it which I usually take as a carry on.

So.. can somebody help me out with some options? I have another passenger coming with me which can take another carry on as well. I have been looking into getting a Pelican Case which can hold the MoVI but then I think it will be too big to take as a carry on.

What about disassembling the MoVI to make it smaller for transporting? Maybe by removing the top bar with the handles, or is it safe to slide it apart where you can adjust the pan axis balance?

Thanks!

2. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

Curtis Huisman likes this.
  3. Curtis Huisman

I will be flying repeatedly so I do need a solution for that. There is no guarantee on having a companion for every trip.

I would like my solution to work locally as well but I'm not overly worried about that as I don't mind using the box it came in, or something else for vehicle transporting.

My main concern is getting it with me safely Monday for right now.

4. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

5. Curtis Huisman

Okay thanks for your help.

What do you know about breaking down the M5 to be slightly smaller in one dimension to fit into smaller cases?

6. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

Not much. I imagine you could take it apart more and I thought about this but then you have to re-assemble it, which will take time. If you lost screws or parts or got it wrong in the process you could be unable to reassemble it or damage it. The risks and time investments go up quite a bit. With my current setup, you can pull it out and be ready to go shooting within 10 minutes.

It would pack a bit smaller if you took the top handle bar off. Now that they have the toad-in-the-hole adapter, this makes it very fast to do without having to take tiny screws in and out.

You really have to ask yourself though, is it worth the 25$ checked bag fee? (Assuming US domestic flight). I am not sure what other chargers are.

7. Curtis Huisman

I guess I'm just looking to see if I can get it carry on size, instead of checked baggage. I'm not too worried about transporting it from shoot to shoot while I'm at my destination and I don't mind if I have to screw a few things back together. It's easy to keep all the items in plastic bags.

You know where you adjust the pan axis balance? What about sliding that right off. I know you can't separate the pieces because there is wires but, this would allow you to sort of stack the pieces making fit into a smaller space?

8. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

Considering the price tag, i decided it wasn't worth trying to put it into something that wasn't going to protect it, which is why I went for a pelican case. Yes it has to be checked, and that made me a tad nervous, mostly for lost luggage. I did get 2 separate TSA luggage locks for the case.