/dist/images/branding/favicon

Multiple Screen Setup

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Jason Battista, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Jason Battista

Jason Battista New Member

Hi all !

Newbie here, I'm about to purchase a Movi M5 for use in Adelaide, Australia.

I'm looking to have a screen mounted on the unit itself and another screen either with the remote operator or for a director to watch when in Majestic Mode. Is there a particular setup anyone can suggest for the Movi M5 if I'm utilising a camera such as the Canon 5D Mark III with HDMI out.

Should I buy the package with the remote and SmallHD DP4, then utilising the passthru HDMI on the SmallHD to run a signal into a Paralinx Arrow transmitter? I assume its ok to have a HDMI cable running from the camera to the SmallHD mounted on the top rail, then the transmitter also mounted on the top rail (as to avoid any issues with restricting camera movement with weight or cables). This approach avoids having to purchase two receivers, if say, I had a screen on the top rail receiving a wireless signal. Interested in hear members thoughts on the lightest, most functional and cost effective approach to this!

Think live event / small productions / lower budget commercial jobs...

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Jason your setup as described is pretty common. Just make sure you get one of the very flexible, thin HDMI cables. The ones from HyperThin work really well.

3. Jason Battista

Thanks Gary. I thought it would be a relatively common setup; just wanted to ensure there isn't any obvious errors with the setup I'm looking to purchase.

Follow up question; does Freefly recommend a specific cradle for the Radio Transmitter and a screen that works well in that cradle? Intended for an operator to comfortably view image and control movement; I've seen a number of people with this type of setup but can't seem to find specifics. Thanks!

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Many folks like the cradles from Secraft.

5. Ariel Ferrer

Ariel Ferrer Member

Hi Jason!! I currently have a similar Setup. I have a DP4 connected to the camera via a thin HDMI mini to regular cable(Type C-A the Thin cable makes a huge difference!!) Also I have another Thin HDMI cable (Type A-A) connected from the out of the DP4 in to a Paralinx+ Transmitter. You can Power the Paralinx+ Transmitter with the DP4 USB output but it is no ideal because the DP4 output 5V .5A(It will work but with limited range) and the Paralinx+ needs 5V 1A. So you will be better powering the Paralinx with a USB charger like the Mophie!! On the other Side I have a SmallHD AC7 with a Secarft Tray http://www.quadrocopter.com/Secraft-Transmitter-Tray-V1--Small_p_1069.html with FPV option http://www.quadrocopter.com/Secraft-FPV-Station-for-TX-Tray_p_1078.html and the Paralinx+ Receiver on top of the AC7. I will be powering the Monitor and the Paralinx_ Receiver with a Anker Battery Charger http://www.amazon.com/Anker-15000mAh-Aluminum-Technology-Multi-Voltage/dp/B005NGKR54/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1398784815&sr=1-3&keywords=anker 15000 The Paralinx+ Receiver needs 2.1A!! Depending on which Paralinx+ combo you buy You can use up yo 4 Receivers!! In the future I will be adding one to use with another AC7 and a RRM Follow Focus!! Hopes this help!!

ariel

6. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

I too have done a similar setup however I plugged the transmitter directly into the small HD and then keep the power for the transmitter in a pocket. It might be safer though to put a cable from the DP4 output to the transmitter. I was definitely curious how people connected the monitors up to the remote. Thanks Ariel for the info to the products for attaching to the remote.

7. Jason Battista

Hi Ariel,

Thanks for taking the time to explain your setup - sounds like a great rig. I have a few follow up questions if you have a moment (or anyone else would like to contribute):

- What batteries are you utilisng to power the DP4? How long do you find they last?
    - Did you buy more than the two batteries that are supplied with the M5? Does two get you through a day of shooting?
    - Do you use the Mophie Powerstation XL to power the transmitter, or another one of their products? How long do you find this lasts?
    - Did you purchase more than one Anker Battery to power the Paralinx Receiver?
    - Regarding the AC7; did you purchase a certain battery bracket, and do you think the $59 Sunhood is a good idea?
    - Are there any other small items that aren't obvious but are really important to add? E.g. the shoulder strap system to hold up the tray?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can assist. It will really assist in getting the rig up and running to its full potential when it arrives!

8. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

• I have used either the Anker batteries or just LP-E6 batteries to power the DP4. If you buy an Anker battery you need one with the 9-10 volt DC output. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...17145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B005NGKR54 I believe comes with the right barrel cable to plug into Small HD monitors. I have the previous model and the cable works to power them. You can power both the transmitter and monitor with the battery.
    • Two batteries for the M5 will last you about 8 hours depending on how hard the motors work. You likely want another pair if you shoot long days
    • I purchased the larger Anker batteries for my wireless transmitters. They are heavier and there is no real battery bracket for them but they last a long time if only powering the transmitters. One set of the 10000 or 15000 mah batteries will last you all day. They usually end up in a pocket or hanging off something.
    • The sun hood is really important if you are outdoors. If you are indoors the only use it has is to shield the monitor from other people which might be needed in live events.

9. Ariel Ferrer

Ariel Ferrer Member

Hi Jason
    Here some pics of my Rig!! it is a work in progress!!
    In the photos I have Custom build Hook Rig that I made using PVC tube and a few hardware rings and screws!! It is really Solid and it only cost me like $25 if you have any questions just let me know!! Hope this helps!!
    ariel
    (sorry for the out of focus pictures i was in a hurry)

Attached Files:

10. Hugh Fenton

Hugh Fenton New Member

Hi Ariel Ferrer, I was hoping to ask you a couple of quick questions on what you said, thanks very much by the way for your detailed answer it's been very helpful.
    You said with the Jag35 Battery "I have a Jag35 Battery V2 http://jag35.com/jag-batteryv2.html with that I am powering the Camera(5DMII or any other camera with a proper conector and a voltage regulator 12v to 7.4) and the Paralinx Transmitter via USB."
    Where do you purchase the proper connector and voltage regulator from? And how do you work out what voltage regulator you need to power the Paralinx with?
    Also how does the JAG35 screw onto the freefly accessory mount?
    Do I need any cords to connect it to the camera and the Paralinx transmitter?

Also the Anker battery that you keep talking about, I can't purchase that at the Amazon link because I'm in Australia and for some reason the seller doesn't ship to Australia is there anywhere else you can purchase that? Why do you prefer to use this for the receiver / AC7 monitor rather than the Tekkeon Battery?

Thanks again man any help is appreciated.

Hugh : )

11. Ariel Ferrer

Ariel Ferrer Member

Hi Hugh! About the Jag35 Battery!!! It was working but 2 days in the USB port didn't function anymore!! I tried multiple emails to customer support but they Never respond!!! I had to make a Paypal Complaint to get a Refund!! I am waiting to escalate the complain to be able to get the refund!!! So with that Story I would Stay Away from anything Jag35!!! Maybe other had a different experience but Mine was and Still a Bad one!!! for me a "Pro Video" company that Doesn't reply to Support emails is unacceptable!!

You may be able to find the Anker in eBay also!! Since last post I have used the Tekkeon MP3450i http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618847-REG/Tekkeon_MP3450I_myPower_ALL_Plus_MP3450i.html a lot more and I find it better for the monitor and receiver because it have an ON/OFF switch!! the Anker it is a little more confusing because you have to press a button to power on but sometimes doesn't work well!! and the Tekkeon is voltage selectable from 5V-19V so it is perfect to power the AC7 and the Paralinx Receiver!!

Also You can power the camera with the Tekkeon with this accessories:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618847-REG/Tekkeon_MP3450I_myPower_ALL_Plus_MP3450i.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/590425-REG/Canon_3352B001_DR_E6_DC_Coupler.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ls_075_TEK_SNP_Tekkeon_Battery_Snaps_Set.html
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/151243134026
    with this setup you can Power the a Canon 5D(or other cameras!! that's the benefit from the Tekkeon because of the selectable voltage) with over 4 times the power than a single LP-E6 battery and don't need any voltage regulator because it is build in!! and be able to power a Paralinx Transmitter at the same time!! you can also add a second battery do double the battery time with this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/622827-REG/Tekkeon_MP3450_10_myPower_ALL_Plus_MP3450_10.html

all that being said in most cases I am using the LP-E6 battery because it is more light and have less cables!!! I just have to rebalance the Tilt Axis and it is not that time-consuming!! I do it relatively fast. In that case I power the Paralinx with the USB out from the DP4.
    It's all depends on the king off shot you are trying to do!! If it is a running fast paced shot go with a light rig!! If you have it on a Jib, Steady Arm, not so fast moving shot or you need longer camera battery life go with the Tekkeon!!

Hope this Help!! if you have any other questions be free to ask!!

ariel

12. Hugh Fenton

Hugh Fenton New Member

Hey Ariel,

you are the best! Thanks again for your feedback. So I've taken that feedback to mean that I should use the
    Tekkeon MP3450i to power both the Paralinx transmitter plus the camera (Mark III in my case) and also the paralinx receiver and monitor. So I bought two of them.

A few more questions if you don't mind...

A) How do you attach the Tekkeon to the Movi Rig?
    B) What are the Tekkeon battery snaps for (I think this might be to attach the Tekkeon to the Movi Rig but I'm not sure
    C) What cords do I need to attach the Tekkeon to the Paralinx Transmitter and Reciver and you keep talking about making sure you get the voltage right. How do I work out what voltage to set the Tekkeon to for the Paralinx Transmitter and Receiver? Is this done through the cord you attach? Or you program in the voltage output of the Tekkeon?

Thanks again man, I appreciate all of your help,

Hugh Fenton : )

13. Ariel Ferrer

Ariel Ferrer Member

Hi Hugh!

A-B) With the Tekkeon Snaps and the Mōvi Accessory Mount
    C) To use the Tekkeon with the Paralinx Receiver/Transmitter I use the the USB port on the Tekkeon it is 5V and use the Paralinx included USB to Mini USB cable for the Transmitter an the USB to mini barrel for the Receiver. In the MP3450i there's a dip switch to change the voltage. For a Canon5D/7D/70D you need to put it in 7.5V and for a AC7 or other monitor I use 12V. To be able to use the Tekkeon with the Canon DR-E6 you need the 2.1 barrel coupler to be able to connect the Tekkeon cable to the DR-E6 Dummy battery. Here is a video on the Tekkeon:

14. Hugh Fenton

Hugh Fenton New Member

Hi Ariel,

thanks for that video, that was perfect. I think I'll get one of those couplers at some point.

Do you use a pelican case to store the Movi in for transport? If not how do you transport it in the car, do you just collapse it and put it on the seat?

If you do use a case what brand do you use?

Thanks, Hugh : )

15. Hugh Fenton

Hugh Fenton New Member

Also someone posted about the seacraft tray, is there a place where you can download a manual for how to set that tray up for a Spektrum DX8 Remote?

Thanks!

Hugh : )

16. Hugh Fenton

Hugh Fenton New Member

Sorry for the multiple posts but they also talk about storing the Movi Batteries in a fire retardent container does anyone do this and if so what container did you buy?

Any help is appreciated, thanks, Hugh : )

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I use ammo boxes from Fisherman's Marine and Outdoor, but I drill a 10cm hole in the top and put vinyl tape on the inside and the outside of the hole so that the hole serves as a gas vent -- the ammo box is otherwise completely gas tight and would explode if a Lipo ignited..

Andy.