/dist/images/branding/favicon

Aerial vid with Brushlessgimbal conversion

Discussion in 'CineStar Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Devin Card, May 3, 2014.

1. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

Gary McCready likes this.
  2. Shane Moore

Shane Moore Member

Devin Card likes this.
  3. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

Brushlessgimbal.com conversion kit customized. New 32 bit Alexmos board, controlled by DX7 transmitter, Canon5d mk 3, 24-105.
    Here is footage of it on ground at 24mm and up too 100 mm walking and running:

PW is movi and this video has zero post stabilization....straight out of camera and clipped together!
    The other vid we had to do a bit of stabilization because of 25 km/hr gusts and my camera man getting excited with controls and moving the camera sloppily.

4. Graydon Tranquilla

Please forward your Vimeo password for this vid so that we can view the videos. Thanks

5. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

Hey!
    It says the password in the first linea bove...pw is movi :)

6. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Looks amazing

Devin Card likes this.
  7. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

Hi guys, I have the 5208 brushless pitch and roll with the 8017 pan. My issue is that there seems to be sideways flex. If you tap the camera from the side, it vibrates back and forth a few mm. It doesn't matter if the motors are on or off it still flexes. Im not sure if its just the roll pivot point flexing on if its the down tube some how flexing. I changed the plastic clamps on the down tube to metal, which i think made a tiny difference. I shortened the horizontal tubes as much as possible as well. But its still flexing, and it shows up in the footage some times. Does any one else have this issue?

I was wondering if either of these parts would maybe help stiffen it up?
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...r-balancing-the-gimbal/109347_1714015832.html
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...ertical-arm-update-for/109347_1766682487.html

8. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

When you say flexing are you saying roll twitch? Or are you saying you get vibrations? Or are you saying the horizontal roll tube is moving? Are you using the alexmos board?

9. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

What camera are you using? It might very well be the tripod mount->roll bar connection. I think this is the reason that Freefly added the upper hot shoe mount to the MōVI M5.

10. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

Im using a gh3, so its not a heavy set up. Everything seems pretty stiff in the system, which is why I'm thinking its the roll tripod mount.
    Heres a very short video of the issue. (its still in line to be converted by vimeo, 40min left.)

Dave, I'm using alexmos. The video is with the motors off. Its not a roll twitch, more of a side to side wobble in the footage. The whole assembly that pivots from the roll motor seems to be flexing side to side.

11. Shane Moore

Shane Moore Member

I've experienced this same issues with wobble from the mount. It's been more problematic for me with heavier cameras. There is a lot of leverage, due to the length of the carbon fiber tubes needed for these mounts, so the slightest disturbance creates wobble. In my experience, it's not a gimbal tuning issue so there's no way to eliminate it with tuning - you can only get it so good. The only ways I've found to minimize it somewhat are by using longer booms to get the camera completely out of the prop wash (especially in the X configuration) experimenting with different o-ring combinations, by carefully balancing motors and props and carefully tuning the flight controller for the smoothest flight possible. This lengthy exercise has convinced of the value of flying lighter and smaller cameras that are less prone to creating these problems in the first place, and in addition the smaller cameras often have optical image stabilization which can eliminate the effects of slight wobble before it reaches the cameras sensor.

12. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

So your saying nothing will really stop this happening. Its just a design flaw?

13. Shane Moore

Shane Moore Member

Wobble should not be a significant problem with the GH3 because it's relatively light and compact. From your video I wonder if using less or-rings or softer o-rings would help?

14. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Does it wobble when the landing gear is not touching the ground?