/dist/images/branding/favicon

Balancing Epic huge problem!

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Frank-Michael Krause, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Frank-Michael Krause

Hi all,

we never had issues with DSLRs on the M10!
    But now with the epic ... physics is trying to give me the finger.

I have the feeling that there is a loose mass in the rigg or camera.
    --> the camera is quite balanced at first
    the second i add a bit of shake, just like shaking an invisble mass, in any direction it is off balanced in a NEW direction!

without explaning too much ... here is the short clip:

- maybe it is the Freefly cable?
    - Is there something in the camera that is actually loose?

please, any help is very much appreciated!

thanks
    Michael

2. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

I think this is something akin to static v. dynamic balance on a Steadicam. The distribution of weight isn't even across the camera therefore any neutral balance for a given set of angles won't be the same when you move to another orientation. This kind of thing I encounter in every balance no matter how bang on you get it. Judge a balace by its results; see if you get the stiffness settings you want/require and if you do you're well balanced (but check for self oscillation at all tilt ranges / handle positions).

3. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Make sure the center clamp on the bottom rail below the camera is tight. You may need to take the driver and tighten up that clamp a bit. It should be snug. Seems like the camera is moving just slightly.

4. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

When I fly the Epic and there is a lot of dynamic movement, the camera will always shift out if tilt balance. Everything is as tight as is possible. i suspect there may be some loose tolerances at this clamp. When you look at the total mass sitting on such a small base, it's not surprising with only one clamp holding tilt. Will be far less an issue with M15.

5. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

I am having this problem also

6. Frank-Michael Krause

So you all have the exact problem?
    That sudden change in tilt axis has a major impact in your framing when you have bigger accelerations.
    Has the m15 clamps on top AND bottom? That would fix my occuring problem at least.

7. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Your initial balance looks good. If I was having your situation, I'd try to get the camera so it stays level facing forward. If it doesn't then slide the camera on its dovetail forward or aft until its balanced again. Then I'd turn on the MoVI and check the motor charts. If the motors are within +/- 10% then I wouldn't worry about it.

I've found balance is important but it doesn't need to be perfect for most handheld work. If you're doing a shot with an extreme angle or if there's going to be strong G's put on the MoVI then balance becomes important.

To add to what Brad is saying, periodically making sure all the screws on the MoVI are tight is a good idea.

8. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

I think Brad is correct.

Our centre clamp came ever so slightly loose the other night… it's a very quick fix.

9. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

Perfect balance is more critical on a flying rig verses handheld.

10. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

The gravity center on the pitch axis seems too high...try lowering it a bit. It works for me.

11. Frank-Michael Krause

Thanks for all the feedback.

I tried to lock down the one clamp even more. Maybe it helped a little.The problem i see is that i shot the video above with the camera striped naked. Cam & Lens only. Adding the rest would not ease the task :)
    But the M15 will be the only way i guess --> Top & Bottom mount at the same time sounds like the way to go.

thanks
    Michael