/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

Wow great results... Thanks for your suggestion for the 2nd IMU.

I just finished all the wirings... 100hours of crimping, soldering and LANC-Remote programming. But now i'm happy ;)
    Need to wait until my IMU mounting plates are milled, but then i can run it up too ;) Tomorrow i'm going to build the handle with the buttons, another LANC and a joystick, which i can mount with a second quick release rail. Removing the legs and i got a handheld too. It's great that there are now 5 profiles, so i can use two of them for a handheld setup...

[​IMG]

Devin Card likes this.
  2. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

What PWM Frequency are most people running? High silent or low noisy?

3. Josh Haywood

Josh Haywood New Member

Wow Devin that's some nice locked in shots!!

Devin Card likes this.
  4. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

HI URS,
    Looking good! Is that your IMU under the roll bar. If it is I might contemplate moving it to limit it being knocked around. We have ours just above the roll bar.
    Cheers,
    Devin

5. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

High!

6. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

7. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

Just ordered one from them. WOrks Great!

8. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

Hey Guys,

For RC control on the 32 bit board we have it hooked up and powered from a outside battery source. to get power out of it directly at the rc roll/yawcpins do we need to bridge anything or solder anything on the board?

Have tested and cannot get power out of pins

ok answered my own question......J1 tab needs to be bridged....
    image (1).jpeg

9. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

Holy smoke, the GB85 are just AMAZING! wonderful motors....
    Does anyone run a similar gimbal with direct drive on the pan and would share the PID's? I want to test it if it works but i have the belt drive parts too if it doesn't. Just thought it's worth a try... With 220 power it looks like it has enough torque, need to do some fine tuning tomorrow... (I use 5s lipo)

Thank you! No, i haven't mounted the imu when i took this photo, needed to wait for the IMU mounting plate i've CAD-ed. But now it arrived and i've mounted it on top of the camera. That what you thought it is,i think is the sdi converter... But thanks for your suggestion!

I use high silent too...

10. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

Hi guys....
    So today i wanted to do another fine tuning... But now my alexmos doesn't work anymore! I didn't change anything but I can't power it up with the lipo. It also doesn't power up when i plug in the USB cable... But the IMU looks like it works, it has power and the LED works. I've checked the board, nothing is burnt up or smth similar....
    I pressed the button on it, thought i can reset it with this, but it doesn't help too...

Any hints.?

11. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

Hi,
    Yea we love the GB 85's too! You should have enough power with those! We have the 8017 on pan, but power is maxed out but still good results. You can see our settings on the spreadsheet link I posted above.
    We have IMU mounted on top of camera roll bar.

12. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

Try restarting GUI and board, sometimes a reset helps. Can you access board the GUI?

13. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

Unfortunately not... I can't connect it with the USB cable. It doesn't power up with the cable, only the IMU (at least the LED) works.... Tried several times to restart the PC, GUI, I've desoldered the bridge, tried with a normal USB adapter on the normal power, tried using a BEC, nothing happened...
    I really don't know what's wrong... I used 5S lipos which should be good for this board, and they announced it with all the overcurrent protection, wrong polarity protection, so i guess it's a case of warranty because there is simply no way i could have destroyed it... :confused:
    I'm going to order a new one and return this.... hope they will replace it, then i'll use it for the sony gimbal...

14. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

What settings do i need to change if my 3rd axis/yaw has a slight side to side wag in flight? I got pitch and roll pretty good for only doing a few test flights since the conversion but can't get yaw as close. My i gain on yaw seems like it gives me the best results thus far at only .01. Is there some other settings i need to change to be able to bring up that i gain? Using GB85 and my current yaw settings are 10 .01 15 and power is 185

15. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

I've had this on my Sony gimbal... Increasing power did eliminate it in my case...

16. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

Seems like you need to increase the Yaw P and Power to increase holding power. ours is now 250 power and P at 12 but ours is the 8017. Also try I at 0

17. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

I thought I was the speed the gimbal reacted to a movement, but in the new tuning guide its saying its the speed it reacts to rc controls?

18. Kirk Williams

Kirk Williams New Member

Hey Guys,
    I'm looking into upgrading from my 3axis radian to brushless as well. I have a CS8 non HL and will be flying the GH4. I'm wondering if you recommend a conversion from brushlessgimbals.com using the GBM-5108 for roll and tilt, alexmos 32bit and http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...Adapter-Kit-fo-GBM8017/109347_1524374419.html for pan or just getting a Zenmuse Z-15 GH3? I'm a quadriplegic and have limited dexterity so 'tinkering' take a lot of time as I usually need help. That being said, if the brushless conversion isn't a complete pain it would be nice to have the options to switch camera's as I still have my 5D. But if I constantly need help adjusting, It's not worth it. Thanks for any input!

19. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

Hi Kirk,

We have found that we have had to put tons of time into tinkering and upgrading the brushless gimbal. Probably way less tinkering with zenmuse! Keep us in the loop!

Kirk Williams likes this.
  20. Loïc Oswald

Loïc Oswald New Member

Good job every one. It's amazing to see how fast the freely 3 axis gimbal could be converted to a brushless one ;-)

I also one to convert mine, but I'm a little confuse with all this posts ;-)

I've got the freely 3 axis gimbal with radian system. What should order to have a good brushless system to take a gh4 and/or a FS700 (could be nice too). I try to find something not to expensive.

Thanks for your help.

Loïc