/dist/images/branding/favicon

Toad in the Hole quick release mounting system

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Luke Waters, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Luke Waters

Luke Waters New Member

Is there any information about availability dates and pricing for the Toad in the Hole mounting system?

I also noticed in the few interviews I watched from NAB that Tabb mentioned using the Toad in the Hole on several specific platforms, but he never mentioned multirotors. Was this done on purpose, is there a reason this is not a good mounting solution for multirotors?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Luke, Denise told me it would hit the Freefly webstore on April 20... I don't know any other specifics on it though.

4. Chris Gerding

Chris Gerding Member

5. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

With a Cinestar you mount the toad part to the star plate and the hole (reciever piece) to the top of the MoVI. Amazingly simple to change between gimbals. We are constantly testing and running between M10s, M5s and a weighted dummy gimbal. This makes it super easy to swap between any combination in really 3 or 4 seconds.

For your issues above, the landing gear is part of the MoVI.. So it's not lowering anything. As for the pendulum effect... We have not noticed any issues testing with aggressive flying.

Barry Collins and Bryan Harvey like this.
  6. Matt Sharp

Matt Sharp Member

I don't see any options for more toads in the store. Do you have to order 2 to full sets to be able to swap from a handle to something else?

7. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

That’s a good question. I was about to ask the same.
    And on a related matter, it seems to me that this is not the solution to move between a handheld and aerial application, right?

8. Matt Sharp

Matt Sharp Member

I'd think if there was a solution for retracts on the cinestar, then it would work well for easy transitions. I don't mind sorting out cg on the copter. I only worry about strength when it comes to a single point of failure.

9. Steve Maller

There are a few retract systems that I’ve seen on Cinestars, but I’ll pass. My X8 copter can’t really use a retract system with its lower set of props in the way.

10. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Give them a few days to get additional new stuff up in the store. The plan as I understand was to have the Toad available by itself.

Barry Collins likes this.
  11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Steve sure you can us retracts. Just bring lots of props.

Steve Maller likes this.
  12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Be sure to use those props with perforations across the chord of the blades so that they can self-adjust to just the right length, Steve.

Andy.

13. JASPER GLAVANICS

Hey guys, just tapping onto the question already asked a couple of times in this thread. Does one need to buy TWO sets of toad in the holes in order to change from the hand held to the cinestar setup? So one hole part on the handle bars and one hole part on the star plate that attaches to the Cinestar .... ?

14. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

Jasper, in that case you would need two toads and one hole. The hole would be mounted to the MōVI and you would have one toad mounted to your handle bar and another mounted to a star plate for use on the Cinestar. At some point in the near future it will be possible to buy separate toads but I'm not sure when yet.

nick

15. JASPER GLAVANICS

Thanks for the reply nick. Thats what I actually thought .. however found it a bit annoying that one can't buy the toads individually, as I wouldn't have any need for another hole. Hopefully this individual option will be available soon enough!
    Cheers. J

16. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Jasper the individual Toads will be available. Just not on the store yet. I haven't heard a firm date but will post when it becomes known or announced.

Barry Collins and Chris Harrison like this.
  17. My suggestion for the Freefly shop is that the toad in the hole complete unit has a pull down option for the number of extra toads required - considering most Freefly fanatics would want at least 2/3 toads anyway!

18. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Toads are now available in the store.

19. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Just received my Toad In The Hole today. It´s totally awesome and adds a lot of value for my taste. One reason being is when you don´t have easy access to the location by car. Now you can backpack your MoVI and easily assemble it when you arrive. No need to carry around that big MoVI case of yours. Well, and then there are numberous others in my mind.

20. Steve Maller

I started using my Toad in the Hole with my M5 and big X8 copter. About to go off for a shoot in the mountains where it’s going to be enormously advantageous to be able to easily break the copter in two pieces (on purpose :eek: ) so we can hike into our launch site.