/dist/images/branding/favicon

How much abuse will a MoVI take?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Chris Gerding, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Chris Gerding

Chris Gerding Member

I have a 6x6 Ranger that I use in production. I have been mounting large stabilized heads on it for years (Like the Stab-C, Flight Head and others). When offroad, I mount the head on a suspension arm from the Camera Elevator to absorb a lot of the vibration and hard bumps. (I'm currently working on an Air/Oil arm)

I have done some hard mounts on the Ranger for some chase scenes on road. The MoVI did an amazing gob with eliminating the bumps and vibrations.

My question is, when offroad (mounted on a suspension arm), how much abuse will the MoVI take without breaking?
    [​IMG]

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

That's a really tough question to answer, Chris. What units of abuse were you thinking of? :)

Andy

3. Chris Gerding

Chris Gerding Member

I didn't know that abuse was measured in units!

I guess a better question would be, what should I be most worried about with bouncing the MoVI around?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah....it's normally measured in ESM's (Evil Step-Mothers. AMHIK). ;)

Are you concerned about G-forces on the MōVI while it's operating or while it's switched off? I would be more worried about the latter and you might want to use some custom Velcro straps to hold the various moving parts in their normal positions rather than allowing them to flop around.

As to the how many ESMs it will take while powered up, that's a harder question yet to answer -- you can "overpower" the brushless gimbal motors if the rig is out of balance and you subject it to strong G-forces, but it will return to its proper position.

I'm really not sure I'm answering your question....apologies.
    Andy.

Chris Gerding and Steve Maller like this.
  5. Chris Gerding

Chris Gerding Member

I may be you field torture tester.
    One year warranty, right?

6. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

I would love to see your results. We are very interested in a similar hard mount. So far, our only solution has been to use a very strong dolly grip holding the MoVI while harnessed in.

7. Chris Gerding

Chris Gerding Member

I did hard mounts on my 6x6 for some car chase scenes in a parking garage. Up and down the corkscrew, which is corrugated concrete for traction. Also weaving thru the concrete supports on the parking levels. I pushed my rig hard, even putting it up on 3 wheels at times. The MoVI did great.

8. Blake Simmons

Blake Simmons New Member

Chris I would be more concerned about hitting a random bump while going 40 mph(or whatever your top speed of your vehicle is), MoVI is rigid but does not have a suspension like your vehicles and more than 3 G's forces might start moving some of the booms into positions that are quite frightening! Other than that it handles corners and hills/slopes with ease, just not big bumps while going fast. When hard mounted that is!

Cheers,
    Blake

9. Chris Gerding

Chris Gerding Member

I'm in the final stages of building my large suspension vertical vibration isolator. Next will be a small MoVI sized one with air/oil suspension.