/dist/images/branding/favicon

Which is the appropriate wireless follow focus for M5

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Gustavo Torres, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Gustavo Torres

Gustavo Torres New Member

Hello:
    I´m from Chile, my Movi M5 newly arrived (2 days ago) and I would like to know which is the appropriate wireless follow focus for it? (another not the redrock)
    Thank you

2. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

Hi Gustavo, welcome to the forums!

I am not sure what you mean by appropriate, as there are nearly half a dozen excellent choices out there, and they vary based on needs and budget. Redrock has the most budget-friendly, but I know you are not as interested in that one. RTMotion makes a great unit with a very light weight receiver, that can be up to 3 channels if you need it, the Hocus Axis1 is an excellent controller. Preston, Bartech and Hedén are all highly respected names as well.

Tilta is new to the game, so we are not yet sure how it will perform, but early reports are promising. I think there was another new one, but I forget who they are.

In the meantime, standby for a friendly message from one of our mods regarding the real-name policy: ;)

3. Gustavo Torres

Thank you Austin.
    I say appropriate because the M5 only supports 5 lbs and do not have much space to put any and I heard redrock is not very good and expensive.
    Thank you again

4. Austin Glass

The Redrock is the least expensive of any of the name brands that I'm aware of. In addition, I have heard a lot of the negative comments that others have said about it, but my experience with the unit has been an overall positive one. Early on they had some issues that were later resolved, but of course it's the first impressions that people remember.

If you mount the receiver for the unit on the M5's crossbar, you will save a lot of weight, since items mounted on the gimbal do not count against your 5 pound limit. Then, the only part of your WFF actually on the gimbal is your motor, and 15mm rods holding it.

5. Austin Glass

Gustavo Torres likes this.
  6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks, Austin....I was, indeed, about to "swoop" and ask Gustavo if he would be kind enough to change his user name to his real first and last name! :)

Andy ("The Swoopervisor?")

Austin Glass likes this.
  7. Austin Glass

I like:

Andy "The Hawk" Johnson-Laird

But "Swoopervisor" is more original ;)

Steve Maller likes this.
  8. Jose Antonio Szabó

Jose Antonio Szabó New Member

Hola Gustavo, Me llamo josefo, estoy interesado en comprarme un Möve 5 , me llamo la atención tu pregunta sobre follow focus , lo resolviste ya? yo filme hace 2 días un Teaser para un largo largo con un alternativo al Mövie ,usamos el Micro redrock ff. la verdad es que se porto bastante bien en general, solo que algunas veces había que estar muy cerca ya que se perdía la señal.... Cuanto peso resiste el Mövie 5? cuanto te costo con el envío incluido en Chile? cuanto tardas en estabilizarlo? aguanta un Matte box ligero y un lente largo? ( 135mm ) te agradezco de antemano y surte en tus proyectos.

9. Gustavo Torres

Thank you again Austin, the change is done

10. Gustavo Torres

Hola Josefo: de donde eres? mira, me dijeron que el red rock no funcionaba bien, pero por lo que dice el compañero de más arriba, han mejorado bastante el problema que para mi sigue siendo caro, está sobre los 2000 dólares y con el cambio de dólar mas impuestos llega hasta los 4000. La M5 no viene con follow inhalámbrico. Yo compré el paquete que trae el control remoto + un small hd. Hasta el momento he pagado mas de 7700 dólares contando lo que me cobró Freefly + el traslado + los impuestos que tuve que pagar acá. La Movi 5 resiste 5 libras, que son 2.27 kilos. El otro día la probamos con una Canon C100 lente 24-105 mm. y la soportó muy bien, las imagenes quedaron buenas (falta práctica) pero para estabilizar la cámara, que son como 15 minutos, necesitas estabilizarla con todos los accesorios que vas a usar, y como la M5 tiene una especie de cofre, puede que tanto accesorio te quede atascado y no puedas estabilizarla correctamente. La M10 es más grande y no deberías tener estas limitantes, pero es más cara y ya freefly trabaja en una M15. Por ahora voy a tratar de resolver el FF haciéndome uno, veremos que tal resulta el invento.
    Mira este video aquí verás como se estabiliza. De pronto si el lente es muy largo puede que la cámara choque atrás o el lente arriba.
    Cualquier cosa me comentas. Saludos

11. Ariel Ferrer

Ariel Ferrer Member

Saludos Gustavo me llamo Ariel y soy de Puerto Rico, Como tú compre el M5 con el control y el DP4!! Yo también estoy buscando un Follow Focus para mi M5 me estoy inclinando mas por el RedRock pues esta a buen precio. Un Colega me dijo que vio el Jag35 en el NAB pero no lo he visto en persona!! http://jag35.com/weffv2.html esta a un precio mas módico que el RedRock pero no lo he usado!! habría que ver los reviews online para ver los pros/cons Me gustaría saber como te va con el invento de tu FF!! Saludos!!

For the non spanish member I was talking about the Jag35 Follw Focus!!It is the less expensive one I have seen but Don't know how it will perform and the pros/cons here are some links http://jag35.com/weffv2.html
    if anyone has one or have use it, It will be great to get a review!!

ariel

12. Gustavo Torres

Hola Ariel: gracias por comentar el post. Mira he estado analizando varios modelos y había visto el Jag35. El único problema que tiene es que suena. De pronto para video clips o videos corporativos es una buena herramienta además tiene un precio asequible. No se si para cine funcione bien. En todo caso, si de ruido se trata hay un modelo que vale como 600 dólares y es un poquito más ruidoso que el Jag35.

Esta semana me llegan los componentes de mi FF ahi te contaré los resultados. Saludos

13. Chris Gerding

Chris Gerding Member

14. Raul Bribiesca

Raul Bribiesca New Member

Gustavo:

I would like to know how was your new FF? Did it worked perfectly on the Movi M5? Which lens are you using? I own a Movi M5 and I want to buy a WFF but the I am concerned with weight issues.

Thank you