/dist/images/branding/favicon

Dji Ronin?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Sam Fleishman, Apr 8, 2014.

1. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

Thanks for posting video. Some good points in it. The mention of the cables not freaking out the gimbal is key, but who knows if theirs will actually work like that. Video shows it working well, but I saw it at NAB freak out several times.

On other posts in here I agree the Ronin horizons seem to be off. All Ronins at NAB which I played with were off a bit. But who knows if anyone there knew how to adjust or the units just don't hold horizons well.

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I think it’s kind of ironic that DJI don’t have an aerial answer for the Ronin. It’s not clear that their S1000 would be capable of lifting a Ronin with anything but a light-ish camera on it, but there doesn’t even appear to be a mount available. It sure looks pretty, and knowing DJI like we all do, it’d be a mistake to discount them.

3. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

Hi Steve,

DJI reps said at NAB that an S1200 was coming for lifting the Ronin and Epic sized cameras.

Wayne Mann

4. Chris Corsello

Chris Corsello New Member

I just picked up a foxtech Kraken k130 1300mm octo. To fly our heavy stuff. Really happy with its build quality. Waiting on my FC and gimbal.

5. dan mohr

dan mohr New Member

Curious indeed. Still totally happy w my MoVI, anxiously awaiting my m15 upgrade avail email in fact.

i am curious though like everyone else about the wide disparity in cost/value bw MoVI and Ronin etc..

Just my 2 cents:

----hypothesis #1: Maybe Freefly charges an exorbitant premium for the MoVI, being the first "pro", heavy-duty gimbal to market.Obviously, the R&D was exTensive, but could it really have been THAT exPensive for an already successful aerials/gimbals company?? Same for construction, components, software etc... Top notch i'd say, but how new is it? (Obviously camera manufacturers have played this game at every level for years, pricing out the amateurs while simultaneously igniting their envy, driving sales of the next-tier-below "pro-am" product line.)

---hypothesis#2: Ronin and the like are much cheaper for good reason. DJI is also successful in aerials/gimbal technology etc, but seems to wanna occupy a slightly different market segment. Could be the same here. One button tuning, tools-less balancing, magnesium unibody etc. if it works, great, but looks like not a lot of room to tweak and customize if it's imperfect. While the Ronin may share some specs of the m10/15, could have a much narrower field of play.

I suspect it's a bit of both, and hopefully mostly the latter.

I've now flown just about every compatible camera on my m10, and while I'm generally thrilled w the results, i do wish i had just another ~2 lbs capacity, for bigger "pro" configs and greater rigidity/control/stabilization in moving cars, high mode, matte boxes etc. I suspect that Tabb n Co have discovered the same thing while the M10 was put thru paces on some of those top-shelf productions.

For the Ronin, i never saw any video of the rig working w/ anything but a DSLR or CF Epic on it, and even then with very mixed results as it appeared horizon was drifting, esp when flipped to high mode. Would love to see a monitored C500 w FF, filters, MB, wireless hops etc... and one button tuning seems a little oversimple, no? My guess is the Ronin will get great results for the money, and sell like hotcakes to a certain segment, but for reliable "pro" precision and customization, pretty sure the MoVI's not goin anywhere.. Again, just one shooter's humble opinion.

6. Chris Corsello

I see where you are coming from. The way im looking at it is. Freefly didnt invent anything. They took existing tech and adapted it first. Not a bad thing not at all. Its safe to make the claim the hardware is there for whoever jumps in to this market. Software is the area where the most improvement can be made.

Is the Ronin a pro rig. We find out in a month or 2. Will many Movi users jump ship?

Cost can be as simple to first to market...... and greed. Even the Cinestar was way way overpriced. At one point they wanted 3800 for 200bucks in cf.

Look at brushless gimbals in general. You can buy a 3 axis alexmos based gimbal built and tuned to carry a RED For 5k. The zenmuse is 2500ish and works great.
    Nothing but the MOVI is 15K is it the market or the company?

After rereading my posts I sound anti Freefly. That is not the case but I do not agree with their pricing structure. It is dumb and greedy.

7. Chris Corsello

8. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

Thanks for posting that Chris.
    Some observations- the stairs shot where he is following a couple. Really poor framing. Now was that just a bad take or was it the Ronin not being able to follow his tilting in "majestic mode". When I played with it the tilt response was really bad. Who knows.

See his footsteps in some footage in walking shots. Have seen that in some Movi stuff too. Anyone have any techniques to help eliminate that? I know smooth your walk and deaden your upper body a bit, but any other tips?

Notice horizon of camera when he flips it over.

9. Wayne Mann

Wayne Mann Member

I have mentioned the horizon issues in an earlier post, but remember...everyone (manufactures) has horizon issues. Nobody has figured out the secret sauce for eliminating it. Even the full scale mounts have issues with it from what I have been told.

Wayne Mann

10. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

I love the construction.

11. Chris Corsello

Thanks stoked I found it. I have to say its not bad and very usable footage. Quite a few really good moments. I would blame framing on the Op. My guess first time he ever held a brushless handheld rig. Im not sure about it holding horizons upside down. I would love to see some on-board footage in that mode. It could just be the perspective of the camera filming the Ronin. As a person who was on set till 4 am last night. Dealing with one of my Cameras and a perspective issue. Im holding judgment till I see some onboard footage in the other 2 modes.

Its looking to be pretty solid.........so far

12. Joe Lawry

Joe Lawry Member

Late reply. But i was referring to Multirotor work, what these gimbals were originally designed for. Weight is a huge issue.

13. Chris Corsello

You need to jump up in frame size. I am building a kraken k130 1300 folding octo. ( today... Its a super nice frame)It will fly16kg for 19mins. Or lighter for longer.

Jeremiah Kaynor likes this.
  14. Howard Dapp

What motors and prop size will you use to fly 35lbs for 19mins? Incredible

15. Chris Corsello

288kv motors from foxtechfpv.com and a set of t-motor 18inch cf props. I am 550 into just props counting the spare. Also we use 2 6s 16000mah batterys.

About half way done mounting motors and ESC's. The A2 is still a week or 2 away..........its backordered. :(

This beast is a little intimidating....

16. Joe Lawry

Joe Lawry Member

Unfortunately getting lipo's larger than 8000mah into my country seems near impossible.. other than that my coaxial airframes have no issues lifting.

Im still standing by fact that the weight of the gimbal is important, camera packages aren't getting lighter. I got asked to fly an Epic with an angenieux 15-40 the other day.. errr No!

17. Ary Suryanto

Ary Suryanto New Member

Wow, thats BAD!!! Ballet in the air
    Im sure you are in right decision to M5.

Compare to this..

Ary

18. Chris Corsello

In other forums it has been mentioned sometimes receiving larger battery's with smaller mah stickers on them. For some strange reason
    ;)

19. Howard Dapp

I'm wondering if 288kv at 6s lifting 16kg will actually work, even with 18x5.4 props. Or if those foxtexh motors have any real power. Have you done any thrust testing? Where is your hover stick position? I'd be very curious to see this work wih that projcted weight

20. Chris Corsello

They do this is a proven setup already. They also have a unedited video of it flying a case of water for 19 mins pretty impressive if you ask me.