/dist/images/branding/favicon

MR & Wind

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Sam Donaghy Bell, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Sam Donaghy Bell

Curious as to what wind speed everyone has had their MR in while moving. I've seen all these lovely images from the USA in the sun with no wind and they look great. We're in the UK and a day with no wind is a million to one.

Just wondering if anyone has come across limitations with light wind to strong winds?

Thanks,

Sam

2. Sam Leggett

Sam Leggett Member

We have one in England and have flown in winds of around 25mph... gusty turbulent. Footage remains pretty superb. Obviously the copter rises and falls which can effect the shot and doesn't help with technical shots but that's it. Its the pilots nerves and underwear that suffer!

3. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

Hi guys, I hope all is well with you both. I have had exactly the same experience as Sam. I now fly the Movi without its legs using some retracts instead and that has helped its performance notably.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Angus: Whose retracts did you go with? DJI?

Andy.

5. Sam Donaghy Bell

Photo would be great Angus! Hope you're well.

6. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

I have a heavily modified set of DJI retracts. I made the wider and higher so that the Movi clears the ground nicley. I'll try and get some photos over the weekend.

7. Sam Donaghy Bell

Thanks!

Are you able to mount anything on the legs? I have the video TX and battery for the TX and remote focus on my back leg.

If not what do you do?

8. Sam Leggett

Sam Leggett Member

Hi Angus,
    I'd be very interested in seeing your retracts! I have always liked the idea of them - and if they help the performance of the Movi even more that would be even more of a reason to have a look at them! We found removing the wheels has really helped with wobbles and I should think getting rid of the legs altogether would be even better - provided the retracts don't wobble about.

9. Dejan Mugosa

Dejan Mugosa Member

Legs are one more item in the air that the pan motor needs to compensate and since they are not round, they act like a sail in different combination. So retracts are the way to go.

Ozkan Erden likes this.
  10. Sam Leggett

Sam Leggett Member

Yes, you're right, I think the legs are a bit of a sail too... however those retracts add over 800gs of weight, and with every moving part comes reliability issues. Defo don't want to be landing on a £25,000 camera! But then again you don't want the legs on the booms either, or they will be in all your shots! The lesser of 3 evils... take your pick!