/dist/images/branding/favicon

Unsure which camera??

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Marty Ferris, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

Hi Andy, Sorry about my English, I probably missed your point and ended lost in translation LOL.
    I agree that having a smaller and lighter camera is a good thing.
    My point is if you will fly only a smaller and lighter camera, why having a big bird? Why not a smaller and more efficient one. That will keep costs down. On the other hand with an octo you will have the redundancy. So here is up to you if the cost of redundancy worth the higher cost . Does it make sense?
    Either way it will be a great choice.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Not a problem -- I know just how hard it is to write in another language (I lived in France for four years and what I did to the French language is probably a criminal offense).

I have heard the argument that the bigger bird gives you more stability -- I suspect this is true but I've not yet proven it to myself. It seems that the basic physics would support this though -- less susceptibility to wind, etc.?

Yeah -- it's a tough cost/benefit analysis to make.

In the case of the Sony CX760/730, I think its optical stabilization makes it a good choice -- plus, of course, it's light. I'm not sure whether Sony's B.O.S.S. (optical stabilization system) is available on any of Sony's larger cameras...[/quote]

3. Louis Wilsher

Louis Wilsher New Member

Andy,

We are considering purchasing the CX760 and find your review very helpful, but #4 in your list of "things I don't like about it" has me concerned. Are you saying that the HDMI output does not work when recording and using an HDMI convertor, and therefore there is no way to downlink to the ground station to frame your shot through the camera, or am I miss reading that? Seems like the other items are workable, but the HDMI downlink is essential. Any additional info would be appreciated!

4. Willie Fields

Willie Fields New Member

Andy, I would say that that's s pretty darn good still image. The CX760 has the same sensor as the NEX7, which is a very highly rated camera for both stills and video. I have the NEX7 and I love it. I'm considering a CS6 build soon, and the 760 will be on my shopping list.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Willie: Welcome to the forum (saw your intro). Yeah. I must say, I'm impressed by the 760 all-in-all, and notwithstanding my whining above. Actually, the whining was more for the benefit of others who might be considering the purchase and I just wanted to let them know what I had found wanting with the 760.

Andy.

6. John Gore

John Gore Member

Hi Steve

Im keen to hear the outcomes of your tests of cameras and lenses.

I have been flying cx760 for video, and 7D with 10-22 for stills. But will be putting my trusty 5Dmkii up in the air soon, and looking at various lens options. I already have a few L lenses, but too big to fly with. Wi will test the 24-105 f4 IS which is pretty wide at 24mm (ideal wide for video IMHO, although wider lenses are of course available) , and will test the 8-15 f4 (fisheye).

I will also look at buying a dedicated prime like a 28 f1.8 or 35mm f2, or even 35 f1.4 L or 24 f1.4 L . Problem with all these lenses is that they do not have any IS (usually do not need it for such wide angle lenses), but for use on flying multirotor IS may be nice to have. In which case, the lens I already own is the widest IS L lens I know of (24mm with IS should be sweet).

7. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Are you a CPS member? I just got them to send me the 24/2.8 IS on loan for two weeks, and I was really impressed. It's light weight, has really nice optical characteristics, and definitely fits the bill. I know the QC guys got one and posted a video or two with it, too. Unfortunately I had to send it back before my gimbal was built up, so I didn't get a chance to fly with it.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I've been ground testing the 24/2.8 IS. Nice lens. Not L-series glass, but much, much lighter than the 24/1.4. Not 100% certain that the image quality in the corners is a distortion free as the 24/1.4 I rented, though.

Andy.

John Gore likes this.
  9. John Gore

John Gore Member

Interesting... Have you tried the 24-105 f4 L IS yet? Weight is the same as the 24mm f1.4 , but it has IS, and the flexibility of zoom as well. Its my go to lens for most "typical" stills and video work on the 5Dmkii, and I imagine it will fly well too with the IS at 24 (of course weight is more than we would like though).

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi John:
    Yes, I have tried the 24-105 -- I found I was flying it mostly towards the 24 end, so thought I'd go with the 24/2.8 IS and save some weight.

Andy.

11. John Gore

John Gore Member

Yup, weight often wins out in the end. How does the video quality compare in the end? IS noticeably worse / better?

What sort of flight time are you getting with 5D + 24mm f2.4 IS ?

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

No appreciable difference for video. I should shoot some test charts for stills, but I've returned the 24/1.4 lens.
    Getting around 6-7 minutes with QC6200's.

Andy.

13. John Gore

John Gore Member

Tks. Is that with 2x 6200mAh batteries, or just 1? Amps on hover?

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

It was 2x. Going from memory about 75-80 Amps.
    I'll see if I can find the actual GPX file and be more precise -- it's over two weeks ago so it's hazy! :)

Andy.

John Gore likes this.
  15. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Thats great detailed feedback. Very helpful. Do you have any video or pics that you can share?

16. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Wait.....you are only getting 6-8 minutes with 2 6200's and the light Sony 760? :eek:o_O:confused:

17. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I got almost 15 minutes on my first flight with two QP 8000s and a CX760V.

18. John Gore

John Gore Member

Hi a
    Hi, any update on this? Has the 24 f2.8 IS become your favorite lens for flying the 5D yet? Very eager to hear feedback and see some sample video if possible. tks again.

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi John: I've not flown it for the past few weeks -- the weather has been crap here in Oregon (it always is in the winter) -- and those few days when it was sunny and/or not raining, I had to work.

Andy.

20. John Gore

John Gore Member

Same here, have not flown since early December. Doh! Been busy with other work, but getting back down to it now. Im really hoping the 5Dmkii + 24mm 2.8 IS combo will make for a good aerial video rig, as well as stills. Then I will sell my cx760 (although until now I have not seen anything nearly as stable at the cx760 is for video).

In this review the 24mm f2.8 IS lens is rated sharper and generally better than the 24mm f1.4 L II and even better than the Carl Zeiss Distagon 21mm !!

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Pu...mm-f-2.8-A-side-by-side-comparison/Comparison

Of course it is the only lens this wide which has IS .

Also, DxOmark scores this lens with a sharpness of 17mp, which beats most of the L lenses they have tested in all focal ranges (very few lenses have more than 17mp for sharpness).

Very keen to see samples shot with this lens. Please share guys...