/dist/images/branding/favicon

Power for M5 accessories

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Mike Vickers, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Mike Vickers

Mike Vickers New Member

I just received my M5 Friday and have a RRM microRemote coming in tomorrow! RRM is also about to release an adapter to power Canon DSLR that use a LPE6 battery from their basestation. I believe the M15 has a second battery holder just for powering these types of accessories but not the M5 or M10. Will 1 battery power everything though? The M5, microRemote & Canon 5D mk3? How do I split the power or do I need to figure out how to mount a second LiPo battery just for the microRemote and 5Dmk3? I purchased this cable along with my M5 to run power to the microRemote.

Freefly Battery to 2 Pin Lemo

I also have a SmallHD DP4 and a Nyrius Aries Pro HDMI transmitter which are both powered off of a Canon LPE6 battery from a battery place on back of the monitor.

2. Mike Vickers

Mike Vickers New Member

I'm also trying to figure out how to run power to a SmallHD AC7 and the Nyrius Aries Pro HDMI receiver. The receiver requires a 5V / 2A power source while the AC7 wants anything between 7v-18v DC. It does have a USB power out but only outputs 5V / 1A. Any suggestions?

I've seen one person run his remote station with two Canon LP-E6 batteries for the AC7, a Morphie power pack for the receiver and then whatever battery that comes in the DX7. I'm trying not to have to use a dozen different batteries to power everything.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Mike you can look through the forums as there have been lots of discussions on aux batteries. It isn't a suggested solution to drive other devices from the MōVI battery. Better to keep it focused on running the MōVI so that it isn't competing for power demands from other devices.

4. Ariel Ferrer

Ariel Ferrer Member

Hi Mike I am also in the precess of figuring out the how to power my Movi components!! I currently have a DP4 and a Paralinx Arrow+ and soon will be getting the RRFF!! As of now my plan is to use the DP4 and the Paralinx with a M5 battery!! When I get the RRFF then I will use the RR basestation to Power the 5DMII, the RRFF and the Paralinx of the same M5 battery when RR releases the new LP-EP power connector!! I plan on putting the RR basestation on the handle! To power the Paralinx I am using this Lipo Cell Checker http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=22320 and it's perfect for the Paralink because it have a 5v 1A usb port that plugs to the battery balance port!!

In the future I will be considering using a Anton Bauer battery to Power Everything except the Movi but have to make some test on hoe it will weight!!

5. Mike Vickers

Mike Vickers New Member

Any ideas on powering the remote station? I purchased the DX8 with my M5. I have a SmallHD AC7 receiving signal via a Nyrius Aries Pro HDMI receiver which requires 5v 2a power source. I need to figure out how to provide power to the AC7 and to the HDMI receiver. The AC7 does have a usb power out but it's only a 5v 1a output. I've seen other people use a Canon LPE6 battery plate for the AC7 and a Mophie Juicepack for the receiver. I'm trying not to load it down with batteries though. If the new Freefly remote wasn't $3,500 I would preordered one of those! Having power outs on the remote itself would make piecing this together so much easier!

6. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

I use an Anker battery. I have one that has both USB and 9v/12v out. The 9v/12v out will power the AC7 and the USB powers the wireless HDMI. You will need to find the correct cables for the power but they are available on Amazon. If I can find the cables I ordered I will share them off. If they are long enough you can put the battery in a pocket or hang it from a belt loop.

I have a previous generation of this http://www.ianker.com/product/79AN7905-BA

Mike Vickers likes this.
  7. Ariel Ferrer

Ariel Ferrer Member

Hi Nicolas!! I am in the same boat as Mike! Want to power both the AC7 and the Paralinx Reciever with just 1 battery!! I have the DX8 and a Seacraft Tray with the FPV Station. Are you Powering both with the Anker? How much the battery lasts? Can you provide the link to the cables to power the AC7!! Does the USB Anker port outputs the 2.1v that the Paralinx needs? Sorry for all the questions :rolleyes: I just want to be able to power my remote station with just 1 Battery!! and this Anker one looks goods!! The other option is to use a Lipo Battery with this adapter: http://www.paralinx.net/store/jst-regulator and JST to Barrel Cable to power the AC7!! But I find the Anker easier to use because it charges with a standard AC plug!! If you have any other idea or solution it would be greatly appreciated!!

ariel

8. Mike Vickers

Mike Vickers New Member

Hi Ariel. I've been looking up specs over the past couple days. It looks like the Anker 2nd Gen Astro Pro is capable of powering a 9v 2a or 12v 1.5a device which is perfect for the AC7 while also outputting 5v @ 4.5a via USB for the receiver. ( 4.5a MAX output divided amount the 2-3 usb ports depending on model ) The AC7 LCD only draws 12w to run. I'm not sure what the power draw is on the Paralinx Arrow but I do know it's a 5v input. I have no clue how long the battery will actually last though. I've also stumbled upon a couple more battery options but it still looks like the Anker is the best bet! PowerAdd Pilot Pro has double the battery storage but is also nearly 2 lbs vs the 10oz of the 15,000mAh Anker battery. Hope this helps!

Anker 2nd Gen Astro Pro2 20,000 mAh
    Anker 2nd Gen Astro Pro2 15,000 mAh
    OXA Metal Box S3 30,000 mAh
    PowerAdd Pilot Pro 32,000 mAh

9. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Power Distribution is the weakest part of the MoVI.

It has not been considered at all for professional applications by the designers.

(This is a great shame as mostly everything else is very good).

Everyone (except the 5D Kids) is busy cobbling together a custom solution, when what FreeFly needs to release is a system.

10. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

So it turns out the cable to power the Small HD comes with the battery. I have used the battery to power both the monitor and the Paralinx device. It lasted hours if I recall on a full charge. I can only recall maybe once in which the battery drained. At some point soon I will post some photos of the solution I use.

In response to Ben, the M5 is targeted primarily at DSLR and smaller camera owners. Given the extreme care the Lipo batteries require, I am quite content powering my equipment with LP-E6 and Anker batteries. I had most of my power solutions long before I purchased the M5.