/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cinestar 8 central HUB (made in China) …..

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by David Tivadze, Apr 4, 2014.

1. David Tivadze

David Tivadze Member

Recently bought this

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6005147902.html

assembled as is, rather good quality product, and as You can see half of price of original one (Freefly)
    BUT!!! The problem is:
    On the upper plate there are ONLY 4 holes for the mounting battery plate. NO holes for mounting Power board at all.

From one side, I can easily drill the holes in upper plate myself ( may be just 4 holes) , BUT in that case the Power board's arrow will NOT be exactly pointed to the boom #1. Because my holes will be slightly shifted relatively the holes that has the original upper plate ( from Freefly).

So, any suggestions for this matter? Is it a problem to have orientation of the arrow on Power board slightly shifted from the direction of Boom@1. I mean VERY slightly.

Thank You in advance
    David

Graydon Tranquilla likes this.
  2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

David:
    I think your best option will be to send this part back and ask for a refund. It is obviously not designed for the Cinestar.

Andy.

3. David Tivadze

David Tivadze Member

Thank You Andy. Yes, I know that this part is not designed for MK Power distribution board to be mounted on it. . Unfortunately , sending this part back is impossible. So, I have somehow adopt it to PDB of MK.
    David

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That sounds like an interesting challenge...the problem (as you have obviously figured out) is that it is missing the tabs and the holes in the tabs for the mounting -- so it's not as simple as drilling holes. The good news is that the MK PDB is not directionally sensitive so if you can find a way of mounting it, even when it is offset slightly, "it should work" (as we say in the software business ;) ). However the Flight Controller and Navigation control board are directionally sensitive.

Andy.

5. David Tivadze

David Tivadze Member

Andy,
    Thank You. Never drilled carbon fiber… will try :) Yes, Flight Controller and Navi board will be placed as they should be, there is no problem here.
    David

6. Noel Zinger

Noel Zinger New Member

David, carbon fiber dust gets into your lungs and stays there for life. Use Hepa filters in a vacuum at the very least! Drill bits lose their cutting edge very quickly. I use needle files locked in a drill press, very clean hole and no tear out.
    There is good information on the dangers of drilling carbon fiber on the web. Good luck with your project.

Regards,
    Noel Zinger

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I second Noel's comments. CF dust is nasty stuff. I'm just setting up my CNC milling machine and having to deal with a way of capturing the dust. I did one test piece (just an inch square) and there was a large amount of black dust.

Andy.

8. David Tivadze

David Tivadze Member

Noel, Andy
    Thank You so much both. I will try to do it carefully. BTW Andy, what is the model of Your CNC machine? May be in PM, because here it will be off top.
    Regards

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

10. Graydon Tranquilla

If those inner four holes were not already drilled out for you, Famous Hobbies slipped up..... but not the case for mine obtained from same source. I tossed the original power board that came with it and installed a Super Hungry PDB but with some mods to make it shorter and lighter.

11. David Tivadze

David Tivadze Member

Andy,
    Thank You!
    Best Regards
    David