/dist/images/branding/favicon

O-Ring Dampening Configuration...

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Chris Daidone, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

I'm currently flying a 5DM3 with red o-rings. I get a small amount of vibration. Nothing too major, but always searching for ways to improve the quality of the final product. I was curious of those of you out there also flying 5DM3's, what o-ring config's do you guys use?

2. Shane Moore

Shane Moore Member

I've spent a lot of time trying different 0-rings, every color and number combination possible. My suggestion is to mount your camera and then feel how "squishy" it feels by compressing the mount from above. This will change as the temperature changes. This is not very scientific, but you want it to feel pretty squishy, so the vibrations are not coming through. Be careful when you lock them in place that they're evenly aligned otherwise it's possible for them to roll over slightly and touch the frame. One of the problems with the larger mass of the 5D or bigger camera is that the 0-rings can handle the vertical compression, but the whole gimbal is prone to wobble. You can have a perfectly tuned gimbal that is still prone to wobble. Good luck!

3. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Thanks for the insight Shane.

4. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Try combo of red/blue orings.

5. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

How many Dave, 3 and 3?

6. Dave King

Yes! That's what I ran last year with the Canon 7D. Motor choice makes a big deal too. I for one found the stock QC3328 motors very rough. In contrast the new Tiger U5 motors have very little vibrations.

7. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Howe did you have them staggered, red, blue, red, blue... Or all on one side. Good to know about the motors. Did you ever try balancing the motors? I attempted that yesterday, and the numbers that I found really wasn't that high? (iPhone app)

8. Dave King

Yes staggered. Never tried balancing the motors. You can't believe the difference in smoothness of the new Tiger motors compared to even lasts years Tigers motors.

9. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Gotcha. I'm gonna try that. I got some Xoar's coming in tomorrow too.. First time trying wooden props. Hope they are worth the hype. If that doesn't work, I'm gonna def look into those Tiger motors. Thanks a lot for the input Dave!