/dist/images/branding/favicon

Gimbal Continuous Vibration

Discussion in '3 Axis Gimbal' started by Diogo Ferreira, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Diogo Ferreira

Diogo Ferreira New Member

Hi everyone,

Me and a friend bought recently our Cinestar 8 with 3-axis gimbal from freefly. We have already built the drone but our gimbal doesn't seem to behave correctly.
    We did all the calibrations with our camera (Canon 60D + Tokina 11-16) and we started to change the gains to get a better footage but we can't see the difference between having the gains at 80% or 130% so...we cannot reach a good value (i don't know if one of the servos isn't working properly, maybe it could be a possibility).

Well...the thing is, we can't get stable footage with the gimbal "ON" but we can have it more steady with the gimbal "OFF" so the problem of vibration doesn't come from the upper part as we can see.

Here in this video you can see the difference. Please give us your thoughts, we appreciate.
    Thank you all!

Herlander Martins likes this.
  2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Diogo:
    Can you confirm that you have balanced the gimbal in tilt, roll, and pan, by removing the belts and making sure that you can put the camera at any arbitrary angle in tilt and roll -- and, by putting the Cinestar so the booms are a vertical plane, that you can put the gimbal into any pan angle?

Can you also confirm that, the belts on the servos are tight -- in you press with one finger in the middle of the belt between the large and small pulley then you should only see 2 to 3 mm of lateral deflection.

Finally can you confirm that if you hold the small pulleys attached to each servo tightly, that there is no looseness -- for example, hold the small tilt servo pulley and gently try and move the camera back and forth in tilt with your other hand. Is there any looseness? Repeat this for the roll and pan axes.

Thanks
    Andy.

3. Diogo Ferreira

Hi Andy, thanks for your reply.
    Yes, i can confirm i've already balanced the gimbal, the servos' belts are pretty tight as well as the servo pulleys. We've already switched servos from tilt to pan and the tilt (which was the worse) had some improvments but it wasn't enough to have an acceptable stability.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

What electronics are you using to drive the gimbal please?

Also, is this a new problem that has developed? Did it used to work ok? If you could provide some of the history it would help...

if you are using Radians, please copy and paste the first message from this thread: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/radian-issue-please-read-this-first.744/ into your response and fill in the answers --- and also take some images showing your installation both generally and in close up -- sorry to make you work at this, but it's really quite hard to diagnose problems just using text messages! :)

Thanks
    Andy

5. Diogo Ferreira

The problem was always there as i can remember. Yes i am using radians. I've seen the thread already, but i think the problem is in the servos. We have switched servos from tilt to pan for example and the tilt which was worse, started to work better but all of the servos don't seem to work properly.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Diogo:
    Good to hear that you've diagnosed the problem! Sound like replacing the servos is the way to go.

Andy.

7. Diogo Ferreira

Well i suppose by replacing them will get better but i will only know if the problem is only in the servos when i replace them.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

True -- sorry I can't be of more help without additional information.

Andy.

Diogo Ferreira likes this.