/dist/images/branding/favicon

How To Switch Pan To The Left Controller?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by James Michaels, Mar 28, 2014.

1. James Michaels

James Michaels New Member

Or, I'm new to R/C and it's probably an obvious answer.

Just finished perusing the entire forum and couldn't find a thread on this topic, or it's in 'R/C talk' and I missed it. How do I put the pan control to the left stick rather than having both pan and tilt on the right? I find it's difficult to just tilt without panning, or vice versa.

Thanks!

JM

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

James:
    Sometimes the allegedly "obvious" answers are the hardest ones to figure out. :)

The RC transmitter assigns individual sticks, switches and rotary controls to specific radio control "channels."
    You see the channel assignments for the MōVI on page 04-P24 of the MōVI manual (for the M10). The minus signs mean that the direction of the stick/control is reversed.

Assuming you have the DX7s, then you need to go to page 17 -- the diagram there shows you from top to bottom, how channels 1 - 7, are assigned. However, because it's a manual written for RC enthusiasts flying model aircraft, it doesn't spell it all out.
    Firstly there are several different transmitter modes. Yours will be Mode 2. Just tuck that information away for the moment -- it concerns how the sticks are mapped and Mode 1 tends to be used in Europe. See http://www.ef-uk.net/manuals/mc-20/rc-control-modes.jpg if you really want to know. :)

MODE 2
    Channel / Description
    1 : Thr = Throttle -- left stick back/forwards
    2 : AIL = Aileron -- right stick left/right
    3 : ELE = Elevator -- right stick back/forwards
    4 : RUD = Rudder -- left stick left/right
    5 : GER = Landing gear = Check page 6 of the manual to find the switch on the diagram
    6 : AX1 = Auxiliary 1 = Check page 6 of the manual to find the switch on the diagram
    7 : AX2 = Auxiliary 2 = Check page 6 of the manual to find the switch on the diagram

So now, using the MōVI software Remote Operator Config, you can re-assign the channels on the MōVI to whatever you want on the transmitter.

Hope this helps.
    Andy

3. James Michaels

Thanks for the reply, Andy. While I sort of see where you're coming from, I don't see anywhere on the Remote Operator Configuration where I'd make the changes to put pan control to the left stick. Is there a different thread you could direct me to, or a video for a step-by-step?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

James, the left stick (in the RC Aircraft world) controls the Throttle (Channel 1) and Rudder (Channel 4).
    If you want the MōVI pan control to be controlled by, say, the left-right operation of the left stick, Channel 4, then you need to go into the Remote Control Config menu (see page 04-P24 of the M10 manual).

Right now, you should see that the Remote Pan has a -2 alongside it and the Remote Roll Trim has a -4. (Meaning that Remote Pan is currently controlled by whatever on the transmitter is waggling channel 2 -- which you can see from message #2 above is the right stick moved left/right). You can also see that right now Remote Roll Trim is being controlled by channel 4 -- which is the left/stick moved left-right -- and that's the channel you want to use for Pan control!

So, you need to make two changes:
    1. Change Remote Pan to -4 -- this assigns channel 4 to control pan and (because Channel 4 is already in use for Remote Roll Trim),
    2. You will also have to change Remote Roll Trim to -5. Why 5? Just because channel 5 is not already being used to control something -- it thus "parks" Remote Roll Trim on an unused channel.

Remember the - (minus) sign means "operate this control in the reverse sense" -- so if you forget to put the -4 and enter it as 4, then when you move the left stick left, the gimbal will pan to the right. At which point, you smack your hand on your forehead and say "Rats! So that's why he told me to put the minus sign in...." :)

Hope this helps.

Andy.

5. James Michaels

Andy, the exact directions I've been looking for! And I now also understand more of how these things works. New to RC, that's for sure. Thank you so much! I'll report back on my hopeful successes.

6. James Michaels

Hi again, Andy.

I changed Map Remote Pan to -4, and Map Remote Roll Trim to -5. The first change didn't do anything, but when I changed the second one, the Map Remote Roll Trim, the whole gimbal rolled to the left and started to shake violently. Neither one allowed me control in the manner with which I'm trying to gain.

Thoughts?

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

OK. I've spent 40 minutes actually doing what you need to do.
    I think the problem is that Freefly have carefully set up the transmitter for the configuration they needed.

We've got to undo part of that setup.

The oscillations you're seeing are are something you may have to live with while you do the last part of this procedure.

Just to give you the big picture first: The left stick being used as a "Rudder" controller (in RC terms) has effectively been disabled. Therefore we have to enable it.

Here are the steps -- and I'm going to have to devise a brief notation to tell you what to do on the transmitter. It has a thumbwheel on the right hand side that can be rolled left or right in discrete click stops. You can also push the thumbwheel down to make it select things.

So:
    TWR means Thumbwheel to the right one click stop. TWR3 means thumbwheel right three.
    TWL and TWL2 will mean thumbwheel left one or two click stops.
    PTW means press the thumbwheel.

What we're going to need to do is get into the D/R (Dual Rate menu) so get the manual out and turn to page 17 (Assuming it's a DX7s transmitter). If it's not a DX7s, search in the table of contents for Dual Rate/Exponential.

We need to change the D/R: value from 0 to 100. EDIT: I should have said: "For the RUDDER!"
    EDIT 2 : I revised this "script" a bit:

1. Turn the MōVI off!
    2. Turn the transmitter on.
    3. PTW (Screen change to Function List)
    4. TWR2 (Moves selection to D/R and Expo)
    5. PTW (Select D/R-Expo screen)
    6. TWR (Moves selection to Aileron)
    7. PTW (Selects so you can change away from Aileron)
    8. TWR2 (Changes Aileron to Rudder).
    9. PTW (Selects Rudder)
    10. TWR (The rectangle should be on D/R: 0)
    11. PTW (Selects the 0 so you can change it)
    12. TWR as many times as you need to to get the value to 100.
    13. PTW (stops rectangle around 100 flashing and sets the value to 100).
    14. At this point, look over to the left of the Transmitter screen. You should see that if you move the left stick all the way to the left, the vertical marker line moves all the way to the RIGHT (yup, right....) and vice versa...stick right, marker left.
    15. Press the BACK button (just to the left of the screen).
    16. If for some reason in step 14. when you move the stick left, the vertical line also moves left, then:
    17. TWL (To move selection to Servo Setup).
    18. PTW (To enter Servo Setup).
    19. TWR (To move selection rectangle to Travel).
    20. PTW (To cause the selection rectangle to flash so you can change the setting).
    21. TWR2 (To change the value in the flashing rectangle to Reverse).
    22. PTW (To stop the selection rectangle from flashing).
    23. TWR (To move selection window to Throttle).
    24. PTW (To start selection rectangle flashing).
    25. TWR3 (To display Rudder inside flashing rectangle).
    26. PTW (To stop selection rectangle flashing with Rudder displayed.
    27. TWR (To move selection rectangle down to NOR REV -- that's normal and reverse).
    28. PTW (To toggle the setting -- NOR should have the dark rectangle underneath it).
    29. Press the BACK button twice (just to the left of the screen).
    30. Now power up the MōVI and establish a connection with the Configurator application software.
    31. Using the Chart option, select Radio, and verify that RC Cmd Roll Trim's trace goes up for left transmitter stick left and down for left transmitter stick right.
    32. Contrary to what I said before, use the Configurator's Configuration menu, Remote Controller Config, and change the Map Remote Roll Trim to 0.
    33. Then verify that you have mapped the Remote Pan to -4.
    34. Set the left stick to the middle forwards/backwards position (the forewards/backwards controls the pan speed so you want a reasonable speed). Keep it at the middle position for the next two steps.
    35. Experiment by moving the left stick gently to the left -- the MōVI should pan left.
    36. Move the left stick to the right -- the MōVI should pan right.
    If you are still getting oscillation, then you need to adjust the stiffness settings -- they're too high for one or more of the axes.
    Hope this helps.
    Andy.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

James: Check the above for edits rather than relying on a email version of what may have been sent to you (without the edits).
    Andy

9. James Michaels

Will do! I'm going to attempt it today as I have a shoot on Monday.

I'll look them up, but if you happen to respond in time, what does all of the PTW/TWR/TWR2/TWL/TWL2 mean?

Thanks
    Jim

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

See my posting:

11. James Michaels

Dang it. You beat me to it. I forgot that you had spelled it out. Sorry! Thanks again!

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hey, I've never, ever overlooked something in a posting.

At least not today. So far. :rolleyes:

Andy.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Email me at ajohnsonlaird AT me DOT com if you get stuck. I should be around all day.
    Andy.

14. James Michaels

Just did it and it worked! So far so good. Thanks again! :-D

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Glad to hear it -- did you back off the stiffness settings to reset them to the point where you're no longer getting oscillations?

Andy.

Chris Monberg likes this.
  16. James Michaels

The prior oscillations were with your previous instructions. When making the changes, the MoVI would lilt to the left and shake. After doing these new instructions, not only does the pan work on the left stick, but it didn't even shake. I'll still run a test or two, but nothing immediately.

17. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

How do you like it on the left?

18. James Michaels

It's more natural, and not as easy to tilt or pan when I'm trying to do the opposite, if that makes sense. While I'm not familiar with RC and all of the terminology, I'm familiar with flying craft, and having the pan on the left is so much easier. It separates tilt and pan. So for instance, if I'm panning right, I might by accident start a tilt movement. Not cool. This alleviates that.

19. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

I think I might do this as well.. Have you lost any control on tilt/pan speed?

20. James Michaels

Not at all. The same movement for thrust on the left stick still controls the pan speed. In fact, I think it's much better. I have more control over the speed of a pan, and can do more intricate following moves that way.

Another HUGE kudos to Andy Johnson-Laird. That took a lot of time to answer a request by me.