/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

@Bill, my deepest condolence to you!

Hey guys,

i'm planning a gimbal like the aerial flex AF10 from brushlessgimbals.com, with GB85 motors for the black magic production camera.
    Is it still recommend to use the belt driven pan module, isn't the GB85 powered with 6S strong enough to handle a gimbal with a total weight of about 5kg?
    And also, i'm little confused about the currents the high power alexmos board and the new 32bit alexmos do provide. Is the 32bit enough to power the GB85 motors, or is it better to go with the high power board? and also, is a dual IMU setup as easy with the high power board as with the 32bit board?

Thanks to any help...

2. Jordi Cristofol

@Bill, my condolence to you too!...

Guys, any advice over this gimbal settings?. Now i´m carrying a canon 550d, because my hdmi to av conversor doesn´t works with the gh2 (i´m waitting for new one) .
    After 8 month testing my brushless gimbal i have change the alexmos board and i begin to see the light.... the older was broken.
    (i´ve a belted roll with 2:1 gear and 5208 motors, and well balanced)
    But meanwhile the hdmi board arrives i´ve tested with de canon and as you can see, when i increase speed, the vibration appears and the horizon drift. How can i solve this?, increasing roll power?. Thank You.

Jordi.

3. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

Thank you Urs and Jordi you are very kind.

The V2 board wont handle the 6S is only good to 20V.
    The new 32bit board supplies 3Amps to the motor with 6S battery.
    So the 32bit will handle the GB-85
    Bill

David burdeny likes this.
  4. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

Hey,

Has anyone successfully upgraded to the new 2,4 b7 firmware? I downgraded to the 2,3 again - after pulling my hair out...
    I could forget all my old settings and start all over. Can not figure how it will work with a 5Dm3 and other similar cameras .
    I always ended up with a very low "I" (0,01) It did not leave me with to many "P" and "D" options. It seems very sluggy without any
    torque.

Any ideas?

Cheers

5. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

Hey Bo,

I'm running the firmware 2.40b7, but my camera is lighter (~900gramms with lens).
    For the I value i have 0.15 (tilt), 0.2 (roll), 0.1 (pan). But it seems to me too that there have been more "possibilitys" in older firmwares for the P and D. But it works for me...

6. Bo Tornvig

Bo Tornvig Member

Hi Urs,
    Thanks. It seems the 2,4 firmware is made for lighter cameras..

7. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

Ok, would be a pitty!

@ everyone:

Is it true that the GBM8017 has more torque than the GB85? Still not shure if i should try direct drive pan or with a belt for my soon coming BMPC4K gimbal....

8. Gerard Metz

Gerard Metz New Member

I am struggling with the same question. Should i get GBM8017 or GB85 on pan. Or maybe this one:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...flight-8017-120T-motor/109347_1501915111.html
    Strange thing about last motor is that at famoushobby they say it has more torque then the 8017, but it is labeled as Ipower 8108-90T but on the Iflight site it does not exist. It looks from the specs on the Ipower 8028. I am going for Direct Drive on pan with one of these motors but i am stil not sure wich one will be the best choice.

9. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

As far as i know this linked motor is weaker than the GB85. I have the DYS 8108-90T on my other Gimbal as the pan motor, it works good there with much spare of torque, but the new gimbal will be 2kg heavier...
    If I ask google about the torque of the 8017 the results are smth about 4kg. What should be weaker than the GB85...
    What kind of a gimbal do you build Gerard? Whats the approx. weight with the camera? What Lipo do think about, and on which controller? I think i'm going to order the belt pan module with a GB85 but a direct drive pan cage for it too. So i can do a try and error.

10. Gerard Metz

Gerard Metz New Member

Your setup will be much heavier than mine. I am building the gimbal for the upcoming GH4 (for aerial work.) I want some extra on the pan because of the stress on that axe when flying (wind, speed etc). I more or less decided already for the 8017 but then i saw this Ipower 8108-90T wich i never heard of. I saw the RC Timer. I think you are right the GB85-1 is overpowered for my setup so it comes down to 8017 or 8108. I am going to use main source battery (6S on my octo) and going to try the carvecsystem (i have a servo driven gimbal with radians).

11. Gerard Metz

Gerard Metz New Member

It seems that the GB85-1 weights less then the 8017. When that is true it is also an option , for sure if it has also more torque then the 8017

12. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

Ok, whats your overall gimbal weight?
    Maybe you've seen my post on the previous page, i've built a gimbal, i've mixed the roll and tilt from a DYS eagle eye gimbal and for the pan i used the bigger brushless conversion pan cage with a DYS8108-90T motor in it. This is for my Sony A7R which is about 900gramms with lens, so its similar to the GH4 i think. And for this gimbal, the 8108-90T motor has power enough for a direct drive pan. i've posted a video too. No problem, it had about 15-20kmh wind and aggressive flying is possible with this pan setup too.

13. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

The gimbal with cam and lipo is 3.4kg, i give 190 power out of 255 to the pan motor and is only powered by a 4s. So in your case i think the 8108-90 will work good! And its approx the same weight as the GB85, so almost 100gramm less than the 8017....

14. Gerard Metz

Gerard Metz New Member

Thanks Urs,

I am not sure what will be the total weight, i ordered the parts except for the motor on Pan. So indeed when the 8108 is less in weight it will be a better choice then the 8017 but when the GB85-1 is about the same weight then that is maybe even better, although more expensive, but it has good reviews. It comes all down to weight, good balancing and a lot of finetuning. I will see what the carvec system will do instead of an alexmoss.

15. Bill Collydas

16. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

Looking forward to your results with the carvec!

@ Bill, thank you! I've ordered both parts, the one with belt and the one for direct drive. Do i get the same, or even better, results with the GB85 on the belt drive? Or is the 8017 better for this? Thanks

17. Bill Collydas

Of course you will but is heavier. Go with the 8108 and belt

Bill

18. Gustavo Rios

Gustavo Rios Member

Bill, my deepest sympathy to you and your family.

19. Nejc Slatner

Nejc Slatner New Member

I have a Cinestar 3-axis gimbal modified to brushless for sale under Sale/Trade

20. Josh Haywood

Josh Haywood New Member