/dist/images/branding/favicon

How to set PAN (window, stiffness and smoothing) for quick movement

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Aaranyan Ramanujam, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Aaranyan Ramanujam

Aaranyan Ramanujam New Member

Hi ,

My Rig - Red Epic, Ultra prime (16mm or 24mm or 32mm), Teradek Bolt, Red rock Micro wireless FF. It works good so far.

The DP wants the camera to pan seamlessly with the turn that he makes in Majestic mode without any lag or delay. Currently there is a second or two lag for the camera to pan after the movement is done by the DP.

We have kept the Pan window to 0.

I would like to know the best settings for stiffness and smoothing to ensure a faster PAN.

Also would like to know, is it possible.

Thank you.
    Aaranyan

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Even in the case of a zero window, there will be some 'switching' effect happening, because the method of the rig is to be smoothing movement in a particular direction of rotation, i.e. filtering movement so it's smooth. Therefore with a zero window you're getting an instantanious swapping between left and right smoothing. Unless you can hold the rig perfectly between those two states (possible with a window of '1') you will get this restless alternation between smoothing directions.

The other thing that could be creating a sense of unresponsiveness is the fact that you have to turn the handle at quite a degree away from neutral before you reach the top speed of the fastest (lowest) smoothing setting. I've found practicing that movement to get to maximum angle quickly helps with a sense of responsiveness.

If you really want it to be smooth and seamless and fast, try rehearsing with the sticks. Their window is much less of a problem and the movement is much more controlled since the person is standing there calmly on the controls with a stationary monitor. IMO the most accomplished moves come from this method.

4. Aaranyan Ramanujam

Hi all,

I have got a new problem. After a tilt in majestic mode, the camera comes back to normal position and it shakes up-down movement before settling down. It shows up on the video as a shake. This is happening for the past 2 days. How can we fix it ? Please help..

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

What are your current gain settings? Might also help with a photo of your setup.

6. Brett Harrison

I believe you will need to describe the problem in greater detail, or post some footage, it's hard to know if it's occilation, setting the tilt window too low, to low smoothing settings, or a balance issue.

7. Aaranyan Ramanujam

I shifted the carbon Vlock adapter a bit more to the front and now the issue is solved.
    But my DP keeps complaining that there is a 1-2 second lag while panning. Will pan window lock work ? So that I can ask the DP to just turn himself so the camera would turn with him on the movi10. But when I tried this , the camera turns to right when I turn left and vice versa.

I just want the camera to pan with me and get rid of the lag. Any suggestions ?
    Thank you.

8. Brett Harrison

Turn the stiffness of the pan motor down to zero and mechanically lock that axis. I haven't tried this, so this is a disclaimer.

Also, there will always be some delay unless the window is zero, which at the moment causes a 'switching' back and fourth as you move subtly in either direction. Turn down the smoothness to get more responsiveness.

A lot of the skill of operating in Majestic mode is getting into and out of the window gracefully.

Operator skill is important with MoVI. People are starting to get this.

Justin Marx likes this.
  9. Aaranyan Ramanujam

Can try this but will it have any adverse effect on the movi10 motors ?

@Tabb - can you verify if we can try this ?

10. Brett Harrison

Just to be clear Aranyan, not implying you don't have operator skill: I am referring to people who aren't necessarily familiar with how it works, like your DoP who may have only used it briefly.

11. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Change your smoothing settings lower.