/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian and Futaba R7008SB Problem

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Gary Shainberg, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Gary Shainberg

Gary Shainberg New Member

Hi there,

I have an urgent problem an I need some help please.

I have a 3 axis CS3 with 3 Radians and I am trying to use a Futaba R7008SB receiver and a 14SG transmitter and when I run the configuration software it does not detect that the SBUS is connected.

Any thoughts / help please.

Gary

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Gary which port are you connecting the Radian too on the 7008? There are two types of s.Bus on the 7008, a regular s.Bus and an s.Bus2 port. The s.Bus port is inline with the other connectors and the s.Bus2 is on horizontal below those other connectors.

3. Gary Shainberg

Gary (this is going to get confusing)

I have tried using both the SBUS (vertical port) and the SBUS2 (Horizontal) port and neither appears to work.

Do you know if the Radians are comparable with this receiver ?

Thanks

Gary

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

It should work fine with the vertical connector. Can you hook it up and then take a screen shot of the Radian Config? Also a quick shot of how you are connecting from the recv. to the Radian.

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Gary just took a look your Futaba Recv and have a suspicion that it won't work with Radians. The R7008SB is a FASSTest receiver that allows telemetry with the 14SG. Something in the implementation of s.BUS on that receiver may be the issue.

I also have a 14SG, never ran it with the Radians, but it will not drive the MōVI controller on s.Bus. Very likely same issue that you are having.

Good news is that any other Futaba s.Bus receiver should be fine. I use the R6202SBW's without an issue on the MōVI.

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

FWIW I use the R6208SB and it works fine with the Radians.

Andy.

8. Gary Shainberg

***** Final Update & bug needs fixing please *******

OK guys after some late nights and spending money I have come up with the definitive situation with the Futaba 14SG and R7008SB receivers. And the bottom line is they do NOT work.

Situation: As some of you may know with the new generation of Futaba transmitter you can now bind two R7008SB receivers for S-BUS operations which means that it would be very simple to switch between single and duel operation because for single operation you can have two RX working from one TX and then for duel operation you just control each RX from each TX and the switch over is autonomous, however, as a number of people have observe red there appears to be a problem with the radian firmware not recognising either S-BUS or S-BUS2 from the R7008SB.

Tests: I have no conducted a raft of tests using the R7008SB and the older R6303SB and the bottom line is that the Radians work perfectly with the older R6303SB but do not recognise any S-BUS signals from the new R7008SB, there is a thread on a German forum talking about a similar problem and it appears the R7008SB and newer Furtaba RX's output a much high signal value on the S-BUS port, as I do not have an oscilloscope I could not check this out (perhaps someone else can).

The Answer: Initially use the older R6303SB (which I had to buy at £60.00) but ultimately get the Radian firmware developer to get a R7008SB and modify the firmware to work. (I ask this with a very large pretty please)

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Gary if you need 2 recv setup you can use multiple 6303SB's. I run two on my CS/MoVI setup.

The issue as I mentioned earlier is that s.Bus on the FASSTest recv is not the same for some reason. That is an issue for Futaba to fix. They have changed something in the protocol on this recv. s.Bus2 isn't the issue because it is only used for the data telemetry from the available Futaba accessories.

10. Gary Shainberg

Gary (H)

I agree with what you are saying, however, having had a brief exchange with Futaba they appear not to be interested as they say the S-BUS port on the 7008 is the same as all the others (we know otherwise) I will try them again.

More importantly, you say you are running to 6303's is this on a 14SG, I was under the belief that you could only use two 7008's

BTW on a separate note I have just spend an hour or so balancing my CS3 with a Nikon 7100 and in fixed position stabilised the quality is not great, what gains would you recommend for tilt and role ?

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Yeah I got the same answer from Futaba. Total denial. Run the two 6303 in FASST Multi mode and you will be fine.

12. Reno Rieger

Reno Rieger New Member

hi there,
    i do have the same problem - i have two r7008sb receivers and one graupner gr24 : one 7008 for my wookong m copter on t14sg, one gr24 for cam operator on graupner mx20 - and a second 7008 for single operation with the t14sg. - all with radians !!
    flying the copter with the 7008 and t14sg and operating the camera with gr24 and mx20 with 2 people is no problem at all.
    but if i want to go out on my own to shoot some photos i start having a problem as the 7008 won`t work with the radians on the sbus.
    my question is : would the 7008 plus one 6303 work well together on the t14sg ?
    if yes - what would be the settings?
    thank you for your patience reading this and i am looking forward reading some suggestions.

reno

13. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Reno you might want to call Futaba support. I don't know that you can mix and match the 7008 with anything else. There are multiple receiver modes on the 14SG. Don't know that the 7008's work with anything other than FASSTest mode.

14. Reno Rieger

Reno Rieger New Member

hi gary, thanks for the reply.
    i found a work around that works for me - i just plug 7008 sbus to first radian, which is connectected to second.
    then i plug in the tilt radian on a free channel on the 7008 - problem solved.

reno

15. Reno Rieger

Reno Rieger New Member

forgot to mention that pan and roll is stabilized with this option!

reno

16. Gary Lovelock

Gary Lovelock New Member

Hi Guys, I have just decided to use the R7008SB receiver with my DJI A2 system to simplify cables and because i was missing some plugs on the built in A2 receiver and have just seen your post ! the SBUS on this receiver doesn't seem to work with the radians. Has there been any update on this? The receiver works with the DJI A2 either on the SBUS NORMAL PLUG(vertical) or on the SBUS2 PLUG(horizontal) so I have tried both solutions with the radians ( plugged into SBUS and SBUS2) and neither work. The only way it works is the PWM method with 2 wires per Radian which is a shame because I wanted to save the wiring. If anybody has a solution it would help ! Thank you

17. Gary Shainberg

Gary L. I never did get a tidy solution to this problem although there are a few work arounds as mentioned above, the bottom line is that the R7008SB are not comparable with the Radian on Sbus or Sbus2 - its an electronic issue. It does work well with the Sbus on the R6303SB which is what I ended up using, however, I have now decided to switch to using the G-Lock upgrade for the Radian which reduces the radian count from 3 to 1 and does support S-Bus2 and the R7008sb as well as giving great support for the brushless upgrade for the CS3