/dist/images/branding/favicon

RADIAN SOFTWARE .problem on my pc

Discussion in 'Radian' started by kjetil tønnesen, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh crap! How bloody frustrating...
    Let me think -- is there any way we can simplify the problem for say, just the tilt Radian servo? The pan is not an issue right now, and we'll get to the roll later.

Apologies if I am asking you to confirm the obvious but on the new laptop you installed the FTDI Virtual Com port drivers without any problems?

If so, then for the tilt Radian servo:
    1. Mount the belt (the servo cable will not be connected in the next step so it should not operate)
    2. On the tilt Radian, disconnect everything but:
    a. The servo cable coming from the pan Radian module (to provide power) to Port 1.​
    b. The programming connector on ports 5 and 6 (double check the orientation of the 3/2 connector).​
    3. Power up the gimbal so the tilt Radian servo is also powered up.
    3a. Note the state of the LEDs after five seconds.
    4. In the Device Manager, confirm that you see a COM port for the Radian USB adapter (under LPT & COM if you're using Win7 which I presume you will be).
    5. Verify the COM port number. (If in doubt, unplug the USB connector to the laptop and the COM Port will disappear from the screen.)
    6. Start up the Radian software, and set the COM port to what you found in 5.
    7. Attempt to connect. I have seen issues (albeit it Mac/Bootcamp/Win7) where I have had to try several times.

Let me know what you find:
    a. LED state in 3a. above.
    b. COM port OK?
    c. Does the Radian software connect to the tilt sensor?

If not, I'm leaning strongly towards (a) asking Tabb and/or JohnC's opinions, but it starts to sound like (b) a pair of bad sensors. What I don't get is how you can upgrade the firmware, determine that it's 1.02, but then not talk to the sensor to program it....that makes no sense.

If you think it would help any, take a close up image of the connections on the tilt module and post that, and/or shoot a video of the tilt sensor LEDs so Tabb/JohnC and I can see it.

Andy.

2. Jonathan Lederer

Jonathan Lederer New Member

Sorry for the late reply, I was unexpectedly hospitalized for the past 6 days so now that I'm home again, let's get to the bottom if this. It appears that after reading and following he steps you outlined, that I will need to shoot a short video demonstrating the problems. I agree wholeheartedly about I bing super strange that I can connect on bootloader mode, but cannot configure (with pc or Mac!!). This is testing my patience. I just don't get it. Please standby for a video of the issue close up.

thanks again, guys.

3. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

HI Jonathan, it seem like you are able to read from the module but not write. Can you confirm that you have the proper FTDI drivers installed and functional.

Tabb

4. Jonathan Lederer

Tabb, the drivers used for the FTDI port must be correct, else I wouldn't be able to successfully connect to target with bootloader and then successfully upgrade the firmware with "program successful" message. Further, when I read the working pan module's configuration, then go ahead and alter something like gain or angle offset, then write, then disconnect, shut off program, then go ahead replug everything and launch the program, when I read the module's settings, they properly reflect th changes that were written to it in the previous session. Just for sake of being through, let me go check in device manger and report the driver details:

Ok, so the interface is set to com10 and under driver it says:

Driver Provider: FTDI
    Driver Date: 4/10/2012
    Driver Version: 2.8.24.0
    Digital Signer: MS Windows Hardware Compatibility Publ (cutoff cannot see the remainder of the word).

That being verified, I must respectfully disagree with your analysis of what seems to be the issue. To me, it appears that no matter what is or is not plugged into any of the ins/outs of the two radians (roll and nick), the God-darn orange LED begins slowly flashing immediately. This is getting to be a real hassle and I hope I can get these traded out for a sept of operational ones and be on my way. I simply don't have all this time to tinker when one module works as expected (so I obviously know what I am doing to some degree -- updated firmware in bootloader mode, reboot and connect programming cable to configure the pan settings without problems, set up for Spektrum Satellite, etc.. I am simply trying the same operations on either of the remaining two modules and immediately get a flashing orange light -- no matter what. I then place each in bootloader mode and it is able to connect to target, reporting the current firmware loaded to the device along with its serial number -- I go ahead and just to be thorough, I re-load the current firmware (fresh download) and it completes reporting success. Then I reboot either unit Anne attempt to connect to the devices. but know beforehand that I will have trouble due to the fact that as soon as power is applied to either radian, the darn orange LED begins its pulsating. I apologize for seeming irritated here, but to be honest, I really am. If there's no solution, how bout a resolution in the form if RMA replacement?!

5. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Jonathan, sure why don't you initiate a return with your FF distributor. I will take a look at your modules and see if I can't figure out the issue.

Best,

Tabb

6. Jonathan Lederer

Tabb,
    The only reason for my not doing that is because, in my excitement to obtain these radians, I purchased them from Kopterworx which is Switzerland I think, therefor it would cost me hundred dollars to get them back to him. Think you can make an exception and let me send them direct to you in Seattle? Thanks in advance.

7. Jonathan Lederer

Tabb, I'd hate to seem like a nag here, but despite my repeated attempts to resolve this setup I am unable to make any noticeable progress. Just out of curiosity, is there any way you could post an older firmware, like 1.01 or even better the factory default 1.0 FW so I can just see what might have been had I not gone ahead and updated the other two modules (nick & roll) as a batch process whilst already updating pan radian, which is the only of the three that i had actually made a successful connection with before making the assumption that i might as well just update all 3 since i was already in that mindstate of Bootloader mode + FW updating. After giving this (too) much thought, i am wondering your opinion on the notion that maybe my not establishing initial connections, coincidentally, with the two radians that now turn out to be causing me this headache before going ahead and updating their software could have anything to do with the issues I'm experiencing?? Please help me, I'm beginning to lose hope here...

8. Jonathan Lederer

Tabb, please see your PM's. I apologize that I didn't happen to notice you'd already replied with a workable method to troubleshoot this annoyance. Next time I'll have to be more diligent about viewing my inbox before posting long rants! Oops!

9. Justin John

Justin John Member

Hello All,

I'm also having a similar problem with the one Radian Pan module. The Orange LED continually blinks slowly in unison with the Green. The green LED will go solid when in cam op input mode.

This is our second 360 gimbal setup with Radians. Our first Gimbal and radian setup was easy and worked great for the RED camera.

So our problem is that the Orange slow blinking LED = IMU self test fault. One of the only main differences on this second gimbal is that we used the castle creations BEC's.

We have upgraded firmware, used alternate power sources and placed the satellite receiver on the other radian modules with no luck.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Justin:
    Could you tell me what you have connected to each of the Ports on the Radian Pan sensor, and also post screen images of the Diagnostic Window and Configuration Window after you have connected up the pan sensor do the Radian software and done a Read, please?

Can you also tell me (if it's not obvious from your answers to the above) which radio receiver you are using and how it is connected to the sensor, and how you are providing power to the sensor? I presume you have checked the voltage being fed to the sensor?

Thanks
    Andy

11. Justin John

Justin John Member

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the quick response. Just to be clear the only issue we are having is on our Radian pan module. All the other radian modules are daisy chained and are working properly. Upon first connection to PC the Pan module read 50hz not the default 400 hz ( we thought this was a bit off). We did then program the pan module to some proper settings and wrote it. After a shut down and restart on the radians to pan module orange LED continually blink slowly. The green LED seems to be functioning fine. We can not connect to the PAN module anymore. The only way we were able to get it to communicate with the PC was by putting it into a "boot loader mode" and applying a firmware upgrade. Our orange LED blinking problem is still there and we can not connect to the PC for regular programming.

Our ports are as follows

Port1 = power (5v Castle Creations bec)
    Port 3 = Output Power (to other radians)
    Port 4 = Pan Servo.

Spektrum Satellite Receiver is plug into the pan module.

Do we have a defective module?

Thanks
    Justin

12. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Justin, can you try using a port other then port 1 for power and report back.

Thanks!

13. Justin John

Justin John Member

Hello Tabb,

No luck with changing the Port for the power. Still the same Orange LED blinking slowly. Seems to be stuck in that mode and there is nothing I can do to get it out of that mode.

14. Jonathan Lederer

Justin,

Would you mind if I inquire as to whether or not you had connected via programming link to the radian in question prior to updating its firmware, or did you just assume it ought to be updated straight away an did that first?

15. Justin John

Justin John Member

Hi Jonathan,

We did not upgrade the firmware right away. We only upgraded the firmware to try and help resolve the issue.

16. Jonathan Lederer

Oh well, so much for that theory. Sorry you seem to be having the seemingly same issue that two of my three modules are experiencing. I didn't get the chance to send mine out today as I had planned, but they're going out overnight (or same day if not crazy expensive) first thing in the a.m., so we ought to have some answers, I'd assume, by the week's end, as Tabb is flying out on a job Wednesday and so might not have the opportunity to check the issue until afterward :(. Cheers and hope all is well with you (and everyone else, for that matter) in all other respects!

I'm certain this will be sorted out soon enough so that we can get on with the show! Happy flying!