/dist/images/branding/favicon

RED EPIC with Freefly´s Carbon V-Lock Adapter KIT PROBLEM

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Jair Guillen, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Jair Guillen

Jair Guillen Member

Hi, i buy the Carbon V-lock Adapter for use with RED Cameras (Epic or Scarlet) when i mounted on my MOVI M10, but i have a serious problem with that. When i use with a EPIC (only EPIC, Scarlet no), suddenly my camera turn off and appears this error: Error 0x0000001d.

IMG-20140331-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20140331-WA0000.jpg

I have the 2 D-tap V-Mount Model (IDX PV212) and i´m using one d-tap output for my bartech follow focus transmitter and the other d-tap output for power my teradek bolt pro hdmi transmitter. The Epic is obviously power with the lemo connector of the v-mount plate.

IMG-20140228-WA0003.jpg

Any of you guys have this problem or similar? I don´t know where is the problem, but i make some tests, and sometimes when i turn on the follow focus the camera shut down inmediately. The strange thing if that this problem occurs only sometimes, not all the time. Other problem is that sometimes the image of the camera get freeze, and i´m have to turn it off, and restart.

One more important information: I buy 4 IDX Endura 7s batteries for use with this configuration and power Red Cameras on my MOVI. I am very frustanting with that, i can´t use EPIC cameras with my M10.

By the way, my M10 works really fine, i think i am making a good job when i balancing the camera and setting the stiffness with the app.

Please help me guys, i think there would be a problem with the camera and my accesories, but i don´t know why. It could be the v-mount plate or what? any ideas?

Regards.

2. Sam Donaghy Bell

Had not the same problem but something similar while using the endura 7S batteries. The 7s I think are 65wh batteries and once you start trying to power the epic (especially at 5K when turning over) and a TX and a remote focus the batteries just can't handle it and the camera does silly things. My encounter had the camera getting an orange light only and wouldn't boot up.

I changed to 120wh batteries and the problem was solved.

That's the only thing I can think of.

I too thought it was an issue with my plate but it turned out the batteries just didn't have enough kick to do everything at once!

Hope this helps.

Sam

Brad Meier likes this.
  3. Jair Guillen

Jair Guillen Member

Thank you Sam, i would test my configuration with more powerful batteries, but I hope the batteries are not the problem. They are ideal for the movi because of their low weight. Other batteries are too heavy.

4. Sam Donaghy Bell

I thought the same however other batteries aren't too heavy. I was using blue shape batteries. They are a good but bigger but aren't too big. They gave me a good two hours powering the epic, bolt pro 2K and RT motion follow focus.

5. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

I used the 7s (which I own now) many times on the Freefly plate kit, using both Teradek and Paralinx in conjunction with the RTMotion system. I don't know if it's significant but I used the Iris motor on one occation.

The only thing I've noticed so far is that sometimes the camera starts up with no screen display and needs a restart. Of course I can't be sure if it was power-related, or a quirk of the particular Epic I was working with. I should add that the resistance in the lens gears have all been fairly low so far, thus requiring less kick.

Which DTap port to you plug the FF into?

6. Chris McKechnie

You have to make sure the battery outputs at least 60W at a constant rate which is the minimum the Epic needs to run. I'm guessing that's your problem.

I use Freefly Lipos to power my Epic. It's the lightest solution out there right now. Yea, I have to change batteries every 20-25 minutes, but it's totally worth it!!

7. Jair Guillen

Jair Guillen Member

Sam my configuration (see picture above: EPIC + ULTRA PRIME LENS + Teradek Bolt Pro + Endura 7s Batteries) weigths exactly 4865 gr, that is about 10 lb and just a little more. My MOVI works really perfect, but i don´t want to damage my gimballs. Because of that any other battery i think is too heavy. Which model of blue shape batteries do you use? 2 hours of Epic with no too much weight sounds really good.

Brett i plug my Bartech FF in the Dtap with 14.8V pass through voltage (output #1) And in the other Dtap (output #2) i plug my teradek bolt pro. Today i test my configuration with the Bartech FF in the output #1 and the teradek bolt pro in the output #2 and only one time the camera shut down suddenly.

Chris how that you power your accesories? All with freefly lipos batteries? I buy just 4 batteries, i think is a too little quantity.

Thank you for all of your comments guys, i think my configuration is really good, but this problem with only a EPIC camera is a pain.

8. Chris McKechnie

Yea, I use all freefly Lipos. :) 2 to be exact. One for the camera, one for the Movi with a splitter to power the RRWFF, then Canon LP-E6's to run either the DP4 or AC7 monitors. To power the Paralinx transmitter I use a mophie juice pack attached to the top cross bar. Incredibly light weight.

9. Sam Donaghy Bell

Hey Jair,

The batteries I use are the BV140 http://www.pure4c.de/mm/BV070-105-140.pdf

I've found that yes they are heavier but they provide a lot more power for a lot longer time and as long as your gimbal is balanced perfectly you won't have a problem.

10. Jair Guillen

Jair Guillen Member

Interesting batteries Sam, thank you for your advice. Now i´m talking with RED Support, if the problem are the batteries i would look for your power option. RED people say that perhaps the problem could be the Follow Focus. Any body knows if i can power my Bartech Follow Focus transmitter and motor with the Freefly Lipo Batteries?

11. Sam Donaghy Bell

No problem at all Jair.

If I'm shooting Black Magics or C300s or something I obviously can't use the carbon plate for the red so I use swit batteries http://www.proav.co.uk/Swit-Shop/SWIT-S-8U62-High-Capacity-Battery/p18569.aspx with a D-tap out of them. Usually only need between 1 or 2 a day with continuos shooting. Mounting them is a pain but no more so than with a lipo (and they're safer!

12. Jair Guillen

Jair Guillen Member

Nice option Sam, well done. And you say it, Lipo batteries are too dangerous.

Now i´m waiting for the engineers of RED for find a solution. I send to them the log files of the strange EPIC.

Sam Donaghy Bell likes this.
  13. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Lipo and Lion batteries each have their pluses and minuses. Google lipo vs lion. Good reasons that both are used in various roles.

14. bevan goldswain

I contacted IDX yesterday.

They guy on the phone was unable to deviate from the advertised spec of the batteries but he said that IDX gives a conservative estimate when it comes to maximum discharge rates and that the spec they advertise is lower than the actual cutoff where the battery will stop giving power.

Max discharge rates:
    IDX Endura 7s - 51W
    IDX CUE 75 - 59W
    IDX ENDURA HL9s - 120W

Red Epic Dragon advertised power usage: approximately 60w when running at 5k 24 fps.

The fact that many people are using the Endura 7s to power the Epic with multiple accessories makes me think the batteries are delivering much more than their rated 51w.

Has anyone else had issues using the Endura 7s? Whats the limit on accessories before it cuts out?

It's obviously the winner in terms of weight and size.

I plan to power:

RED DRAGON
    RT MOTION
    RED TOUCH
    PARALINX ARROW PLUS

anyone powering all this off an endura 7s battery?

I did test out the ENDURA DOU 95 with he epic and M15 the other day. It fits, but only just, very little room for adjustment of the gimbal.

15. Sam Donaghy Bell

I've found the 7s batteries no use at all because the Epics draw spikes very slightly when you turn the camera on AND when you turn over. So if your batteries are even close to their limit with accessories the betteries won't cope. I was using the same only it was epic, RT motion and teradek bolt pro 2000 and the same kept happening. I wondered the same because of "everyone" doing it.

I would recommend the Blue shape batteries BV090. 3 of them last me all day. Or basically any battery about 90wh or over.

Best of luck.

Sam

16. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

I have been using these batteries on all of my RED builds since August, and haven't had any issues with the camera or accessories being powered.

My typical setup is:

RED (I've used just about every DSMC brain in this config)
    WFF
    Paralinx Arrow Plus
    RED Touch 5"

17. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

Only problem I have with the Freefly Carbon V-Lock Plate is that it has a straight lemo plug on it.

A right angle power plug is a much, much better solution for fitting into the M10. The straight one takes up a lot of room at the rear and limits movement.

(We changed ours over. Kinda surprised that Freefly sends it out with the straight one).