/dist/images/branding/favicon

What options for Tx/Rx do I need to look at?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Steve Montoto, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Steve Montoto

Steve Montoto New Member

I was curious as to what Tx/Rx I need to purchase for the M5? I thought I saw something in the forums but I cant find it now. :-( Are there options as to the different kinds or what specs I need to look for?

Also is there a plug for the Rx on the Movi or will I have to solder/modify something.

Thanks.

2. Jack Klink

Jack Klink New Member

You can find options for MOVI M5 packages here: http://store.freeflysystems.com/collections/movi/m5

The receiver is built-in to all MOVI's I believe. You can either buy the transmitter with your purchase from FreeFly or on your own, but only a few transmitters are supported.

3. Steve Montoto

Steve Montoto New Member

Hi Jack,

I talked to Denise today and it sounded like I was going to have to get a Rx to go on the MOVI too. Maybe I understood her wrongly but that's why im asking for specifics. I can't find information anywhere.

So if someone knows specifications or what is compatible I would greatly appreciate some instruction.

4. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

Are you talking about for video monitoring? Jack's answer sounds like he interpreted you as asking about the radio transmitter.

The mainstream options are the Paralinx Arrow Plus, or any number of offerings from Teradek. Both are great choices. In either scenario, you will need to choose a powering option that works for you.

5. Jack Klink

Jack Klink New Member

Sorry, I was talking about the radio controller for dual-operator use. I'm pretty sure that's what Steve was referring to as well, but yes... wireless video is separate and not built-in. I am using the Teradek Clip for that.

6. Austin Glass

On re-reading, I can see it both ways… perhaps Steve can clarify. Although I would assume that the RX for the radio is already integrated, but I guess I could be wrong.

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Steve you will need to buy the TX and RX. The standard that is shipped with the M10 and is optional through the store is a Spektrum unit. A 'satellite' receiver for the MoVI and Spektrum DX8. While you can use other brands for ease of support I would suggest buying the Spektrum, perhaps as part of your order.

Jack the RX is not built in. MoVI supports Spektrum and Futaba sBus. The M10 ships with the Spektrum satellite already installed.

8. Jack Klink

Jack Klink New Member

Oh okay so the "MōVI M5 + Radio Transmitter Package" does not come with the Rx installed, but does come with the Tx? Maybe I am confused at how this works haha. Thanks for the clarifications.

9. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

If you order the "MōVI M5 + Radio Transmitter Package", the receiver is included and mounted ready to operate.

If you do not order the package, you will have to provide your own transmitter and receiver either Futaba Sbus or Spektrum satellite. There is no soldering involved. Just plug and bind.

M10s all ship with transmitter and receiver installed for dual operating.

10. Steve Montoto

Steve Montoto New Member

Hi guys, sorry but I had just left to pick up some boxes to ship stuff.

I was talking about the Controller options and which Rx would work. However I am also interested in the Video Tx/Rx as well.

Gary.. I thought the same thing too but it was not convenient for me to do so. My MOVI was scheduled to ship out today and she said she would have to cancel my order, credit my card back(wait 3-6 days for it to show up on my open balance) then re-charge the new order with the Tx option. To be honest, I'v waited so long for this, I was not prepared to wait any longer. :) If it would have been easy and I could have just made a separate purchase without all the rigmarole then it would have happened today. So now I need my options.

11. Steve Montoto

Steve Montoto New Member

BTW... Any particular tx/rx model numbers or part numbers of Spectrum or Futaba I should be looking at? There's quite a few of them, will they all work? Im no RC guru so please forgive my ignorance, I just don't want to waste money trying stuff out.

Any detailed help would be appreciated.

12. Austin Glass

The Movis these days are shipping with Spektrum DX8. They also works with the DX7s, or the Futaba transmitters. As Brad mentioned, the Movi is compatible with those two brands only.

13. Steve Montoto

Steve Montoto New Member

Thanks Austin I understand either DX8 or DX7 but which Rx from Spectrum are they using. There is a bunch as far as I could tell or will they all work?

14. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Make sure but usually they ship with the satellite receivers. At least they did when I bought a DX8 a few years back

15. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Buy the DX8 (TX only) and one of these [​IMG]
    DSM2 Remote Receiver

SPM9545

If you can't find the DX8 TX by itself then a kit with a regular RX and the Satellite will be fine. You may find that you can use the regular receiver later.

Many online dealers. Try Quadrocopter...

16. Steve Montoto

Steve Montoto New Member

Perfect, thanks guys.

17. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

I just spoke with QC yesterday and Jeff & Royce both said that *IF* I want to shoot stills via the Canon 5DMKX remote trigger, it would NOT work with the DX8 configured as a satellite. Does anyone have a proposal for shooting stills from the M5 using the DX8 to fire the shutter from the M5?
    -m

18. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Hey Mike...this could be an option. I do not have my M5 in my hands yet so I have not had a chance to try this, but it works perfectly on any Spektrum receiver I have tried it on. The issue will be if there are extra servo out plugs on the Movi to plug it into. If not, I think with Spektrum you can bind to multiple receivers so you may just have to put an additional Spektrum receiver on your gimbal to plug this into.

It has worked great for me so far on the first non MK rig I built up (DJI X8). The board is tiny (not much bigger than the width of the wire). This store also has some other camera triggering products that are interesting too.

As far as transmitters go, I fly with someone who has a DX8 and I picked up a DX9. Its not much more expensive and gives you really flexible switch and channel mapping. Its software is more like the DX18 than the DX8. Plus it has diversity antennas built in if I remember right. Its wireless training mode is fantastic. I can bind it to a DX5, DX6, DX7, DX8, etc and give away a single channel or all functions. I am teaching my 4 year old son to fly with a DX5 and I give him just the throttle and I control everything else. If he goes crazy as soon as I touch my throttle I get instant control back until I click a switch and let him take it over again. Anyway, just something for anyone looking at a DX8 to consider.

http://www.rcshutter.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=75

MIke Magee likes this.
  19. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

FYI, just got a response from Rich Spiess (Freefly Systems) that applies to my issue and anyone else that needs a channel for something.

Mike ,

With the DX8, 7 of the channels are used but the GEAR channel is still open, I believe you should be able to transfer those setting to the DX8 with ease.

Thanks,
    Rich

20. Scott Strimple

So I understand the support community when using a Spektrum radio
    but when they say the Movi ... and I'm talking about the 5... won't work
    with anything other than the Futaba SBus or the Spektrum ...I find that
    Strange .... What is it specifically that prevents me from using
    a JR or Graupner tx and recvr? On the Movi10 where it comes with the Spektrum
    Already installed I can see this being the case but on the movi5 it's escaping me.
    Thx