/dist/images/branding/favicon

Shooting with Movi out of Helicopter

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Andrew Hewson, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Andrew Hewson

Andrew Hewson Member

Hey all :)

Has one used a movi for shooting out of a helicopter?
    Just wondering what is the best way to do this and if anyone has any pointers? Did you just shoot straight out of the helicopter or did you use a rig of some kind.

Suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. Shaun Gish

Shaun Gish New Member

I've done it several times. The basic setup we used was to rig the unit slightly inside the cockpit to a couple of bungees so that the operator didn't have to take the entire weight. We also cranked the smoothing way up to compensate for a lot of the wind gusts/course corrections. Footage looked great.

I know that the aerial footage in Vincent Laforet's original Movi demo video was shot out of a heli... not sure what their setup was like though.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Do a search on the forum Andrew. There have been a couple of threads on shooting from a heli.

4. Jason Hawkes

Jason Hawkes New Member

Hi Shaun,

Im an aerial stills photographer based in the UK, and am really interested in testing the Movi rig. Have you used other rigs before in a helicopter swell, I wondered how they compare, and do you have a link to the footage you shot online anywhere?

Thanks

Jason

5. Be conscience of prop wash and sudden shifts in direction the Heli may make. The sudden changes in direction will increase g-force suddenly, which in turn, may cause the gimbal to go of horizon temporarily. Obviously your experience may differ because of speed, position in the Heli, etc..

6. Sean Harris

Sean Harris New Member

Just air-to-air shot out of a Bell 407. Doors were removed. I sat in floor with feet on skids, Movi bungeed and safety wired to the passenger handle above the door (300# rated I was told...Movi rig 12# just a little overkill). Slip stream was not an issue...except for my legs on skids. At 70 Knots, better have your shoes double knotted.

7. Daniel Holmes

Daniel Holmes New Member

what do you mean when you say bungeed?

8. Sean Harris

Sean Harris New Member

Just plain ole bungee cord. I did fasten the bungee cord to locking carabiners .

9. Even Sigstad

Even Sigstad New Member

Done it a few times with good results. Removed the side door and half of the seats. Sitting inside the heli with the Movi on a Easyrig. Then leaning out as much as needed. As Chris said, when going really fast and turning the heli the horizon will go of, but it recovers pretty fast. Operator sitting in the front seat.

10. Christer Dahl

Christer Dahl Member

Even, your rig has gps assist, right? How fast does it recover after a spinout?

11. Tip Weiss

Tip Weiss New Member

Can the movi be switched on or initialized while in motion/flying? I tried another BG and I had to initialize it in the ground before takeoff.

12. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Yes, Freefly added a 'motion booting' feature very early on. There's also a set-down feature that might be useful in close quarters.