/dist/images/branding/favicon

First look at the M5

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Andy Johnson-Laird, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Jerry Boonya

Jerry Boonya New Member

Will there be a manual posted for the m5? Also I noticed the comment about the camera attaching to the mount as well as the hot shoe. Is that a requirement to connect the camera to the top and bottom?

2. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

G'Day Jerry,

The goal is to have the camera mounted rigidly to the frame, one mounting point will allow the camera to vibrate on the mount, hence the upgrade to top and bottom mounting, you don't have to mount it to top and bottom, but performance will be reduced if you don't

Mounting top and bottom, will beat the heck out of shimming with foam wedges.

Cheers

Chris

3. Thanks Jacob, we definitely appreciate the feedback and I promise this is already on our radar.

4. Jerry Boonya

Jerry Boonya New Member

Thanks Chris.

Was just wondering how I am going to do that with the bmpcc :)

5. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

G'Day Jerry,
    Use the 1/4x20 screw hole in the top of the camera.

That should work a treat.

Cheers
    Chris

6. Jerry Boonya

Jerry Boonya New Member

Will try that out when the m5 arrives.

have a great day!

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Gary the M10 and M5 are the same. You adjust roll by sliding the camera or the roll beam left and right.

8. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Theoretically, as long as the tilt motor and other hardware is centered on the roll axis, then it will be balanced up and down once the camera is also centered (CG-wise).
    I find that on my converted CS gimbal that the tubes from the roll to the tilt always end up level. I think back to the servo gimbal days the reason for tilting those tubes up was actually that the tilt was not really balanced, and it was hard to tell because of the servos, and wasn't as crucial.

9. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

Don't want to hijack this thread....
    Tim and Gary: Thanks! Theory is one thing. The difference is that with the CS gimbal the Camera can not be moved Vertically (up and down) on the tilt bar, like it can on the M5.
    The strange thing is on the Gimbal I have the camera CAN move up and down (and front to back) to balance it on the Tilt bar.. I then balance the Roll gimbal side to side. The thing is after the do this the camera is bottom heavy. Not "bottom heavy" at center, but when you tilt the roll axis it doesn't sit there, it goes back to level horizontal. If I perfectly balance the Roll so it does sit there when I move the Roll axis the camera is top heavy on tilt. I've fooled with it for many hours but maybe I missed something.

10. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Gary, the art of balancing a gimbal is a dark one, indeed. One issue with some gimbals is whether the camera is sitting high (or low) enough in its saddle to allow it to achieve good (perfect?) balance. I had that with my GH3, and I had to actually raise the camera mount by a couple cm with spacers to get it all to work. The 5D Mark III shouldn't require that, though. But trust me, one day you'll get it all to work. and the camera should definitely not return to its "center" position when it's perfectly balanced. It should hold whatever angle you move it to (within reason).

Gary McCready likes this.
  11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

You may find that the countersunk screws provided with the M5 are a bit too long for the top threaded hole on the BMPCC. As a quick fix we used the countersunk screw from the camera plate on an M10 -- you need a 1/4 - 20 x 3/8" for the top of the BMPCC. It seems to have an unusually shallow threaded mount on top of the BMPCC.

And yes, you really do want to attach the top of the camera -- it really allows for higher gain values because of that stronger mechanical coupling between the camera and the M5.

Andy.

12. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey Gary, the key difference between the CineStar gimbals and MoVI gimbals with respect to arm tilting is that on the old 3 axis gimbal the roll axis pivot point is above the the tilt axis pivot point if the arms are horizontal. For perfect balance we need to have the tilt and roll axis lines intersect, thus the upward angle. On the MōVI the tilt and roll axes intersect so no need to angle the arms.

Hope that makes sense? ;)

Best,

Tabb

Gary McCready likes this.
  13. Steve Maller

I always wondered about this, and it's great to see that math and science have proved my (very uneducated) hunch correct.
    Now when is my M5 arriving? :)

14. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

Tabb: Thanks! I think I'm getting a handle on this concept.
    This helped me:
    http://www.dronetrest.com/t/balancing-your-brushless-gimbal/55

Now if I can just figure out why, even though I raised my camera vertically on the tilt table to balance, it is still bottom heavy on the Roll. I'm thinking my axises are not perfectly square on my "test gimbal".

15. iterki

iterki New Member

Hi guys really excited about the M5. I'm still waiting for the package to arrive. Quick question: How easy it would be to attache my wireless follow focus motor to the M5 ? The cage seems to be very tight. Is in it ?

16. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

17. Steve Maller

The cage is pretty tight for the 5D Mark III, but your issue may be more around the weight than the size. The M5 is only spec’d to hold 5 pounds.

iterki likes this.
  18. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Just making sure: There is enough space between a 5D mark 3 side and the vertical bars of the gimbal to attach a HDMI or AV out cable? In many of the pictures 5D is equipped with a heavy lens, so the camera body has been moved back. Maybe so far back that the AV/HDMI connections are clear of the vertical bars already?

I am planning to use a 24mm or 28mm prime that is not heavy, so the camera body will be in a more forward position.

Does anyone know where an AV connector for 5D 3 could be purchased by the way? It would be better than a HDMI cable because it could be directly connected into a video TX without a converter.

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Tukka:
    I've tried the 5D Mk III with a 24 mm lens for you. It's tight, but it does work.
    Sorry about crappy iPhone image -- I was in a bit of a rush.

Andy
    M5 with 5D Mark III 24mm lens.jpg

20. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Thanks Andy. So that´s with both HDMI and AV wires out installed?

What 24mm lens you were using? Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM?

To me it seems that if I would have to move the camera body forward, I would get into troubles as the vertical bars would be blocking the connections even with angled connectors.