/dist/images/branding/favicon

Pan drfting

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Arturo Bernardi, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Arturo Bernardi

Hi everybody
    Have someone noticed a pan drifting of the movi when you put it on the stand and try to use the MoVi as a remote head, or just have kind of tripod shot? Also with pan window set to very hight value i still have this very slow pan drif...it''is not relatet to stiffness in fact i have hight value, like around 150. That's pretty annoying when i try to do a long stable shot and i want to frame the scene precisely.
    Thanks everybody for any suggestion or sharing experience!

2. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Hi Arturo,
    The next time you experience pan-drifting, try adjusting the pan trim on your remote. If that doesn't work, on your remote, try panning so your camera so its straight, then switch to majestic mode. Then pick up the MoVI, check stability on each axis, then switch back to remote mode.
    Hope this helps!

-K

3. Arturo Bernardi

Thanks very much Kurt!
    I'll try soon!
    best

4. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Arturo, please keep us updated on this.. Having a similar issue.. Try to reboot your controller and reset the GUI to default as well..

5. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

Yeah I've had the same issue too for awhile. Mine may be because of my cabling but yeah it's frustrating. Going into remote mode and setting the pan drift all help a lot but for majestic mode your going to have to deal with it. I'm hoping a firmware update may help this in the future

6. Justin Marx

I only have the issue currently in remote mode. Not majestic.. How about you guys?

7. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

Adjust the pan drift on the radio. Right thumb stick click button near roll trim

8. Justin Marx

Did that to no avail

9. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

Reset the system restore factory calibration. Check to see if all cables ares snugly plugged in and re-balance.

10. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

I've noticed too that when adjusting the drift I can't get it to perfectly sit still. One click more and it starts to drift the other way. I'd say you might have a balance issue

11. Hi guys,
    I hope I can help here with a few suggestions and comments. First off, the stand that comes with the MoVI is/was not intended to be a piece of production equipment. I understand the convenience of wanting to use the MoVI stand as such, but it is simply made for the initial setup, balance, etc. of the MoVI, and for storage when not in use. I know how time can be of the essence on a shoot and removing the camera from the MoVI to a tripod is not an option sometimes. In that case, I suggest that if you plan on doing a static/still shot with your camera while it is still attached to the MoVI, you acquire a very large C47, or similar tool, to keep the Panning still. (I have an image somewhere of this. I will upload it if I can find it) That way it will take less than a second to go back to using the MoVI as an actual gimbal instead of a faux tripod.
    Second, there could be several causes of the 'drift' a few people are having, and it depends on what type of 'drift" you are getting (i.e. direction/speed/mode/balance). In regards to the 'drift' a few people have been getting when the MoVI just sits on the stand when not in use, but still powered up (slight pan to the right several degrees) , and I asked Tabb directly about this, it is a natural occurrence and you can limit the amount that occurs using the GUI. If there is constant motion or human handling of the MoVI during an actual shot, you should never get the 'drift' and I haven't heard anybody getting it during a take. Similar to when you are adjusting the stiffness settings, and when the MoVI starts to oscillate on the stand, when you hold one of the grip handles it will stop.
    I know this will not explain every 'drift' situation some are having, but part of the reason we ask people to send us videos of their specific issue, after having filed a ticket with support, is so we can isolate the issue to that specific MoVI and actually see the type of 'drift' that is occurring. If you feel that you are having a different type of 'drift' issue. or any issue at all, please file a ticket with us at support@freeflysystems.com, and one of us would be happy to help.

Thanks,
    Chris

12. Justin Marx

Hey Chris.. Working on getting you a video.. My Epic went on another job. Got it back just now, will get u one tomorrow.. Thanks for the help!!

13. Arturo Bernardi

Hi Chris
    In my case i use to have the drif when we had the MoVi handheld with the operator sitting on a whellchair, holding it, framing and ready to start shooting, another time was when we attach it to a barracuda (pole) to achive a shot like the one we saw in the oliver stone's world cup commercial. Anyway the drifting change everytime so i think it's kind of normal behaviour of the gimbal...i still hope in future upgrades that solve that isuue giving us a "flight head" for 15k$

14. Norbert Blenk

Norbert Blenk Member

Hi everybody,
    are there any news in getting the pan-drifting fixed?

Norbert

15. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

I've run into the pan drift problem several times since this discussion started and I found a psuedo-fix for it. After you have balanced the rig and turn it on for the first time, make sure the main top bar (this is the bar the handles attach to )is level and the horizontal tube that points at the operator (this is the same tube where the vertical tube attaches that holds the MoVI GPS and brain) is parallel to the top handle and ground as it sits on the stand. I usually cheat by holding this tube that points at the operator by holding it so it makes it parallel with the top handle. Sometimes, it takes a couple tries to get it right while the MoVI is initializing.

FreeFly, it would be nice to have a pan-trim option like the roll trip. It would be nice to have an accelerometer or some other digital level somewhere under the camera so the camera would initialize level every time.

16. Arturo Bernardi

maybe it's something related to sub-trim, but i can't how to set the sub-trim on the dx7...someone from the drone world said to me that could be an imu calibration issue...unfortunately imu calibration is not possible with movi's software...isn't it?

17. Justin Marx

Make sure your IMU cable is seated nicely..

18. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

*roll-trim

19. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

The system is very sensitive to movement during initialization. I suggest making sure the gimbal is perfectly stable during the initialization process. You can possibly wedge some soft foam between the pan tube and top handle support to keep pan from moving.

Norbert Blenk likes this.
  20. Arturo Bernardi

So the pan drifting in remote mode would be solved holding the tube of pan motor perfectly in the middle during initialization??