/dist/images/branding/favicon

5D3 24-105 Settings

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Justin John, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Justin John

Justin John Member

Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions on 5d3 24-105 Gain settings for the Movi MR.

Regards,
    Justin

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Justin:
    Please don't kill the messenger (me), but I'm not sure there really is a "right answer" for you -- I could tell you the gains that I'm using, but I really doubt that they will be the ones that you want -- all you can do is tune the gains by increasing them until you get oscillation, then back off until you do not -- and then back off a little more. (Actually, I cannot tell you the settings I'm using or I would -- I have the BMPCC mounted right now.)

Be sure that you really have balanced the camera on the MōVI -- it should stay in any position you place it -- the cabling might make that a bit harder to determine. Set the lens to 70mm.

Make sure the camera is absolutely rigidly mount on the camera platform and that all the clamps are tight on the entire MōVI -- any looseness will cause oscillation at gain settings that are far too low.

Put the MōVI into the same situation as you will be using it -- if you're going to be hand holding it with both handles, then have someone hold it with both handles. The problem being that how you hold it alters the resonance of the MōVI/camera. I made the mistake of tuning it for dual handles while it was on the stand, only to discover I would get occasional oscillations when I was hand-holding it.

Tune the tilt, then roll, then pan. The oscillation when you are too high is very distinctive and doesn't cause any harm to the camera or the gimbal. Get used to reading the Charts window of the Configuration app software -- it's very useful for telling you, just when you think that everything is tuned, which channel is oscillating. As you will find, the tilt, roll and pan do interact with each other.

Hope this helps
    Andy.

3. Justin John

Justin John Member

Hello Andy,

Thanks for the detailed response. I had some good luck with settings in the 30 - 50 range on all axis. I tuned it while the machine was hovering in the air by small increments.

Cheers,
    Justin

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

That's good news, Justin.
    Andy.