/dist/images/branding/favicon

What other Movi M10 Cases are available out there?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Adam Brennan, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

I am not looking for the Cinemaoxide one. Had one on order and had complications with the person selling. Not going to get into it, but what other options are out there? If there's not many, I may have one designed and see about possibly doing a group buy. I have people who have access custom fabrication tools, CAD, CNC, Lasers..etc that can have just about anything made or built. I would stick with the Pelican cases since there's a handful that will fit the job.

I was hoping Freefly was going to come out with one, but have not heard anything on that yet. Anyways, if you are interested, let me know and it's something I will start speaking with my friends about.

2. Brad Seals

Brad Seals New Member

I used a Pelican 1630 as a couple other people on here have done. I think the Cinemaoxide is well made and has a good "wow" factor, but I wanted more flexibility on fitting the Movi in without removing accessories. (Plus it was about 1/3 the cost).

The remotes are going in a seperate case since I have the Specktrum on a Seacraft tray with a monitor (case in rear).

I've never been much of a DIY person for production, but I'm finding you have to be with the M10.

Attached Files:

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

If you want a run-and-gun capability (that's to have the camera fully mounted and zero time to set up the MōVI beyond powering it up), then consider the Pelican 0370 case. It's big (as you would expect), but you can pull out on to the tailgate of an SUV, open it up, fire it up and be shooting within 60-90 seconds.

Andy.

4. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Andy, thank you. I typically drive a truck to carry much of my gear in so what you suggest could be an option. Thank you for the input. I have a friend over here right now measuring the Movi. He owns a company that does custom poster/foam cutting.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Adam: If you do go the 0370 case route, you'll have to remove one of the lowermost sheets of closed cell foam to get the lid to close with a monitor on the handle-bars -- in my case I use a Small HD DP4 -- I have it mounted so I can quickly stow it or bring it into viewing position.

Andy.

6. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Andy the case you speak of I think is a good route. "Other" cases out there require you to unscrew things on the Movi rig so the lid closes. Not really a good solution when you want to have your Movi rig ready to go...more to come!

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Adam: The only downside is that the 0370 is a honkin' great case....you can get it with strap-on castors to move it around if you need to protect your back. Or you hire an AC to lift it. <evil grin>

I use it a lot for shooting scenics around Oregon where you just pull over when you see an interesting shot/lighting etc. and you can leap out of the SUV, open it up and shoot....

Andy.

8. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

Anybody can confirm on this case with a image of a movi inside it?

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Charles:
    Here's a top view of the Pelican 0370 with a MōVI M10 in it. It happens to have a BMPCC on it but, it could obviously take a larger camera if you want to remove some more foam cubes. The Small HD DP4 is folded down -- I've been working on the MōVI so the usual clutter of controls and remote video stuff is not on the handlebar.

Andy

2014-03-16 22.17.15 Pelican 0370 MoVI.jpg

10. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

G'Day Andy,

Do you think it would fit in there with the landing gear attached? Looks like it might

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

G'day Chris:

I'm cautiously optimistic about that -- the problem is that the landing gear extend downwards a further five or six cm below the bottom part of the gimbal (which, of course you want otherwise you'd be landing on the gimbal!). So I think it would fit with the landing gear as long as you remove the handle-bar....and the top handle. There's probably enough vertical depth and footprint to allow the handlebar assembly to be installed in the lower right hand area of the image above. The square on the lower left is for the MōVI stand.

Andy.

Chris Fox likes this.
  12. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Thanks Andy, handle and handle bar spend most the time stuck in cupboard somewhere ;)

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

G'day Chris:
    You never know -- you might just want to get that money shot hand-held. Or you could use the handlebar as a giant drinking straw in case you ever find yerself as dry as a pom's towel, eh? Just dip it in a pint -- you wouldn't even have to pick it up... ;)

Andy.

14. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

That's an idea ... giant drinking straw ;) I thought handheld was just run around holding onto the copter booms ;)

15. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

If my friend comes through there could be an alternative to the other cases out there. The quality build of the other case is poor for what you pay for.