/dist/images/branding/favicon

Teradek Clip

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Drew Kachurak, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Michael Gailing

Guys,

We have a new Android app for Clip in beta right now and I need to find some testers. If any of you have an Android tablet, shoot me an email and ill set you up!

2. MarkAxius

MarkAxius New Member

CLIP Update from the field. Got the CLIPS working via an Apple Airport Extreme and have confirmed, line of sight distances of about 500 ft without drop offs. I know that our application is a bot different than flying around a few hundred feet, but here is our set-up:

Pelican 1700 case modified - $190.00
    3 Teradek CLIPS - $1,800.00file
    6 SWIT Batteries - $900.00
    3 iPAD Minis (used) - $750.00
    Apple Airport Extreme - $200.00

Total Video Village cost: $3,840.00

Total cost Transvideo Rainbow II systems - $26,000.00

Uhhhh.........NO BRAINER

Pics can be seen at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Axius-Entertainment-Group-Inc/239045406166362?ref=hl

3. Drew Roberts

Drew Roberts New Member

4. Toby WIlson

Toby WIlson New Member

Can report success of 450 meters line of sight (ground based) with the Clip and a Netgear N600 router.
    Prior to this had dismal results using only the Clip to Ipad connection.

Equipment used:
    Teradek Clip
    Netgear N600 (runs on 12v and makes a 2.4 or 5.0ghz network, we used the 5.0ghz network to avoid any interference with our octo 2.4 control)
    2x Turnigy 3s Lipos which run between 12.60 (full) and 11.50 volt (safe low level)
    Sony FS700
    Modded power cables
    Tripod
    Ipad Mini 1

we built a base station of the ipad and the netgear router with one 3s lipo to power the router, all put together on a light tripod.

we used the sony FS700 outputting 1080i through hdmi to the clip with the clip also powered by a 3s lipo.

Range was measured through gps with myself walking a straight line from the base station with the camera in hand.

Very happy with these results and looking forward to testing on our octo tomorrow wind dependant!

Latency hovered around 110ms and video quality was set at 2 all at a range of 450 metres.

Toby

Heli Optics NZ

Steve Maller likes this.
  5. Pete Kenny

Pete Kenny New Member

Hi Guys,
    Sorry been off air for a while, designing and developing 'copter got in the way of further clip/ubiqiti tests, resuming very soon and will publish comprehensive report then.
    Thanks Toby, very useful info, please could to tell me what vertical range you get with that setup?
    PK

6. TimZeroTechUSAHolland

Info@zerotechusa.com I would love to test the beta and report back.

Thank you

TIM

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

8. Fritz Kolmayr

Fritz Kolmayr New Member

Hello !

I have received the clip and it worked ok !

Then I made a firmwareupdate to version Teradek_Clip_firmware_v1.1.10r20318
    Everything seemed ok.
    But after power down and up the following things happen :

1 the video led is blue
    2 then the video led is off and the enc led blinks blue
    3 after 2 seconds the video led turns off and the video led is blue again

And that happens again and again and again.
    And there is no more wifi so that I can access the clip

What can I do to make the clip work again ?

9. Toby WIlson

Toby WIlson New Member

Hi Pete,

We shot a commercial last week using the movi m10, a RED and the clip and can report no major frame drop outs ot loss of connection for as far as pilot was safe with flying line of sight.

Height wise, i haven't looked at the telemetry logs but i would say around 40-50m vertical and 30-40m horizontal.
    Other shots would have been about 10m vertical and 100-150m horizontal.

Easiest way for me to put it is that we had no issues with the connection for the shots we required, in saying that, this wasn't a shoot that required lots of distance so i will be very interested to see how it preforms when we fly it FPV.

As long as you keep the battery for the Router at a good voltage and also for the Clip everything seems sweet.

Carbon blocking is an issue though so the Clip needs to be somewhere on the airframe that has minimal carbon between us.

Cheers

Toby

10. Matthew Lavin1

Matthew Lavin1 New Member

I saw there was an update in the app store. Will the clip stream to the iPhone 4s now?

11. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

I've been using the Clip with the Rocket M5 and Airmax antenna for a bit now, and have had it running pretty well, my cam op has been able to frame shots well. We found that when using the RED if we dropped HDMI output down to 720p it improved the latency significantly.

One thing to be aware of .... we held a demonstration event, with about 25 people ... prior to everyone arriving we tested the system, and the flights that we were going to do, and the system worked well. However when everyone turned up (as is the case when trying to demonstrate something :confused:) the influx of 25 mobile phones, all searching for a wireless network swamped the system, and we could not get a consistent image. Half way through the event it twigged to us, and after we asked everyone to turn the phones to flight mode or off, the video transmission worked again .....

12. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

13. Toby WIlson

Toby WIlson New Member

Very interesting about that issue you experienced, possibly that many phones overloaded the beacon system (beacon frames produce the information of the network needed for devices to connect to the actual wifi network) which would have effected the internal processor of the Rocket.
    We had a shoot which had a full agency and 3 camera units there so around 50 people all in the same area as well as a 2.4ghz monitor village with a microwave antenna and experienced no issues. Not sure why it was better, possibly could have been the fact the Netgear we use has a dual core processor so dealt with the Beacon requests without overloading the processors.

Great point you raised! Something for us to be aware of, nothing worse than having equipment fail when impressions need to be made.

14. Guillaume Perez

Guillaume Perez New Member

Hi everybody !
    I have 3 iPads Mini Retina, do I just need 3 clips to monitor a multi-camera shooting or do i absolutely need a router ???

15. Steve Maller

It depends on how far you’re planning to travel. If you’re within 50-100m or so and free of obstacles, you might be able to get away with it. But you’d be much safer with a router.

16. Guillaume Perez

Guillaume Perez New Member

i'm usually quite close of the set, usually in the next room...

17. Bill Ehman

Bill Ehman New Member

I would like to have 2 ipads working at the same time, one for me and one for the client. In our tests we were unable to do this, has anyone had two feeds going on two ipads?

18. Steve Maller

I don’t think that’d work with the way the Clip’s point-to-point stuff is implemented. At least not now. It’s not technically a “broadcast” protocol.

19. Bill Ehman

Bill Ehman New Member

Steve you are probably right. We have been able to take a wireless feed out of the ipad (Aries Pro) to a nearby monitor but the picture on the monitor was not great, but it was useable.

20. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

Just got my Clip and all working well inside my house with buffalo router, i'll order rocket as well and i'll try to have some time do testing in air end of week. As i have only one ipad here at the moment so cannot test, is it true that only one ipad can be used for monitoring at the time, even if using router in infrastructure mode? If is, will it be available in future firmware versions?

Best regards,

Kari