/dist/images/branding/favicon

General Windows vs Mac question

Discussion in 'Software Solutions' started by Dean Roczen, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Dean Roczen

Dean Roczen New Member

I have a Cinestar 8 kit (which Ive had for a long time) that I am finally getting around to getting built.

In the meantime, my old laptop died and while I am a longtime Windows user, Ive actually pondered making a fundamental shift and exploring the MacBook Pro line.

My question is... are there any particular software applications (MK Tools, utilities, etc..) that folks are using their workflows that require Windows? If I switch to a Mac, I will still have an old Dell with WindowsXP on it if needed.

Thanks,

DeanR

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dean, unfortunately it's still a Win world for some stuff. So MKTools is only Win. To handle this I have VMWare Fusion installed on my Macbook Pro. Works flawlessly. Pain that you need Win. I have used both Parallels and Fusion and just like Fusion better.

3. Dean Roczen

Dean Roczen New Member

Thanks Gary. I have some high end mapping software that is Windows platform so Id definitely be exploring running Windows on the mac as well...

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I switch back and forth between Parallels on my MacBook Pro (hosting WinXP) and a cheap little Acer netbook running WinXP, and I actually prefer the Mac/Parallels experience, mostly because of the large screen on my Mac. I run at least 5-6 different software packages, most of which require a USB connection to a bit of hardware (MK, Radians, Alexmos, DJI, etc.) and they all work at least as well as they do on a “real” PC. Which is to say they’re endlessly fiddly and temperamental. :mad: But they all work.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The advantage to VMWare's Fusion is that you run Windows in a Mac Window -- so you can run both Operating Systems at the same time. I found some issues with Parallels (on unrelated software) so I took to running Bootcamp, but that means you run either Windows, or Mac OS X -- not both simultaneously.

The latest version of VMWare Fusion (v. 6) looks to be pretty good. I can run programs that are graphic intensive, like CorelDRAW, without any problems and no apparent performance lag on a Mac Pro (classic, not trashcan).

Andy.

6. Steve Maller

I’ve been using Parallels for years now, and besides sometimes lagging a week or two on major OS X updates (and costing $$, too), it has worked great. And it runs in a window on my Mac just like VMware Fusion. The only reason I haven’t switched to Fusion is I have no idea where my original Windows XP Disc is, and I long ago removed my CD drive from my MacBook Pro, anyway. :cool:

7. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Parellels is the same way, Andy. It runs under the mac OS so you don't have to reboot. I've had no issues with it running all the windows gimbal/ copter tools I've come across, but it might be dependant on what version of windows you put on it. I much prefer the good 'ol windows XP. It even runs realfight at high settings on my older MBP. Parallels has a free trial so you can make sure it works before buying.
    Dean, I think once you get used to a Mac, you'll never go back. They do make very stable and elegant machines.

8. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Another good feature of parallels, and probably fusion too, is that Time Machine will make a backup of both systems, since they really are just another app in the mac, so when it's time to migrate or fix a broken system, you don't need to do both.

9. Steve Maller

Of note (maybe) is Microsoft’s declaration that Windows XP is headed for the deadpool. Not that it matters for these purposes. The only thing I use my Windows XP stuff for is copter things, and an occasional download of software or something (although I use Chrome, not IE). But it’s worth noting, either way.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/endofsupport.aspx

After 12 years, support for Windows XP will end on April 8, 2014. There will be no more security updates or technical support for the Windows XP operating system. It is very important that customers and partners migrate to a modern operating system such as Windows 8.1. Customers moving to a modern operating system will benefit from dramatically enhanced security, broad device choice for a mobile workforce, higher user productivity, and a lower total cost of ownership through improved management capabilities.

10. Adam Koontz

Adam Koontz New Member

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to use the Mac, VMWare Fusion and XP combination that has been discussed above but I can't seem to get the VCP-driver to install to be able to connect the MKusb as explained on the MKwiki and FTDI site, as well as to Andy's dvd (as far as getting it matched to what Andy achieves). I've installed it via mac platform and it doesn't seem to be recognized. I've tried it on the Fusion/XP side as well but it won't allow me to install. Any insight on how to get this squared away would be greatly appreciated. Thanks --Adam

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I had similar problems with VMWare Fusion, Adam -- specifically USB drivers vanishing after being installed. So what I did was to cut over to use BootCamp -- which means that you boot up Windows "natively" without any virtualization. You can share disks between the Mac and Windows worlds -- it's obviously not quite as convenient as having Windows-in-a-window, but it works far better in my experience. In fact, I think the Mac is a great hardware platform on which to run Windows.

That said, VMWare Fusion works fine for MS Office, CorelDRAW etc. -- apps that don't come "close" to the hardware in the form of USB drivers etc.

Andy.