/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

I just spent a couple of hours trying to get my Mikrokopter FC to control the tilt on my Alexmos board. I knew it worked with the servos, and I used the same servo wires...but what did I forget? Man do I feel stupid!
    "Attention: the servo outputs get activated after the calibration of the gyros. Push the throttle lever in the upper left corner until you hear the buzzer and the green LED turns off."
    Of course, I never calibrated...

Also note in latest firmware: Camera tab: Compensation = off
    "That is needed if BL-Gimbals are connected and the gimbal should use the camera-nick for POIs."

FYI: I've really enjoyed reading this thread. I have a DYS 3 axis BL for the Nex-5, with a Canon EOS M. This is my "test" gimbal on my "test" MK Quad that I try most things out on before mounting on my CS6. My MK Quad has a Spektrum satellite Rx. This will be easier on the CS, as I use Graupner there, and I'll just run it through the Rx. I'd eventually like to move up to a larger gimbal, but I'm sure glad I didn't start with one, took me forever to get this small one even close to being dialed in.

Steve Maller likes this.
  2. Danai Chutinaton

Danai Chutinaton New Member

Bill,

Your comments have been most helpful. I'm running three GB85 motors direct drive on my hand held gimbal I'm building for my RED Epic. I'm about to order the Flyduino board per your recommendation. Will the 3 axis expansion board support the GB85 motor? Or do you run two 2 axis boards?

3. Gerard Metz

Gerard Metz New Member

Gary,

Hopefully you succeeded already in getting the parst together but i am also curious what is your experience with the G-Lock upgrade. I am about to pull the tricker and buy some ingredients from aliexpress but on the electronics side the reuse of radians look interesting (although an expensive route) but will it be a route already to go in terms of are all the parts there already, functionality, and ease of setup in comparison to the alexmoss route. Of course all of thes routes will have there own diffucties to overcome but it looks promising because i believe john Carvec is the same person who did all the programming for the radians. In the end it comes all down to the quality of the content we shoot with it. alexmoss is a more or less proven concept so it is difficult to say but maybe you are already can share some impressions.

4. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

Danai,
    The 3rd axis board supports the GB-85's.

Bill

5. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Hello to all here is a shot I did yesterday of a school in florida on the pan as you can see the horizon shifts
    question is this the IMU not been perfectly align how can I fix this
    thanks

6. Jordi Cristofol

hi jose luis, is an alexmoss?. I had the same problem and an advanced calibration solved this.

7. Bill Collydas

The advance calibration would help but also make sure your tilt bar where the IMU is mounted is level 90d,
    Power the gimbal and do the calibration, then measure from the table to a point on the tilt bar and make sure the other side is the same height.

Bill

Attached Files:

8. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Ok Jordi and Bill thank you I recently ditch my last servo/Radian combo on the pan and install a TM Gb-85 in the middle cage and o boy what a difference

9. Jordi Cristofol

Bill, where did you buy the metallic pinions of the brushless reduction?

10. Bill Collydas

I had the shafts made locally the guy charged me $30 a piece for 20 units.
    The pinions are from SDI/IP

Bill

11. Jordi Cristofol

Sorry for my ignorance, what is SDI/IP? Thanks.

12. Bill Collydas

13. Gerard Metz

Gerard Metz New Member

I want to share some thoughts.

I am on the edge of building my own cinestar like brushless gimball for use with GH3/Canon 5D like camera's. I will lift it with an octocopter from flexacopter.nl . I am very inspired by this forum. Initially i was hoping for the build of Mario de Roos from flexacopter.nl and indeed they made an excellent gimball i know for sure but it is for GH3/5D overkill. The beauty deserves a Red Epic :) and the price is according. So after reading carefully through this forum and asking questions to the more experienced people over here i came up with the following setup (yet to build from parts at http://www.aliexpress.com/store/109347 (Famoushobby shop))
    For Tilt and Roll the 5208 or 5108 motors (direct driven), but wich are better for the task (the 5108 are from the specs having higher resolution, 22P vs 12 P for 5208 and the specs give them a little more torque, 2000 grams vs 5208 1600 grams). I tend to the 5108 but?
    For the pan either a 8017 direct driven or a 5108 belt driven. Here i tend to the 8017 but of course this motor is much heavier and maybe a belt driven 5108 will do a better job?
    Last but not least are of course the electronic parts. For long i thought i had to go for the alexmoss boards but from what i read it takes a lot of patience to deal with this. Then i heard of the possibility to use my radians to drive the brushless gimball. (http://www.carvecsystem.co.uk/) It look like a good alternative for the alexmoss boards.

14. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

15. Gerard Metz

Gerard Metz New Member

Yes i saw that one and that is wat my thoughts were in the first place, but there are a lot of components i do not want or need. Direct driven Pan with 5208 will not be strong enough i think and i will exchange a lot of plastic clamps with alu ones. So it is close but just not what i want so that is the reason i made a list of parts instead of going with a complete package and afterwards to find out that it are the wrong motors or the pan is not strong enough. I was just curious what you people on the forum think about the 5108 for tilt and the 8017 for pan or maybe the 5108 with belt for pan. I have contact with Una from Famoushobby shop about parts or complete gimball.

16. Jordi Cristofol

Finally i decided to belt my pan motor, i don't know the best gear relation, just i have found this gears, 130 and 26 tooths. The relation is 1 to 5 aprox. I have a gh2. Will it work? image.jpg

17. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

Hi,
    Ive built a 3axis BL conversion kit up with Grayson Brushless Gimbal upgrade and it is working great!
    Just wondering if anybody is using rc control on your gimbals? Trying to get info on connecting Spektrum dsmx or spektrum ar8000. Any advice or links or threads you know of?
    Devin

18. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

Reduction looks bit large for me, i've used belts with 1/2 or 1/3 reduction with great success but now all direct drive. If reduction is lower than 1/3 compensation might be too slow, depending of motors of course. Don't see much need for reduction in P/R axis but pan axis is much easier to get right with belts with enough torque for gusty winds. If using cinestar pulleys look for MXL gears and belts.

19. Jordi Cristofol

Thank you Kari, tomorrow a friend with a cnc will cut my desing in carbon fiber for the pan motor support.i will try at first with this, meanwile i try to found mxl gears with better relation, as you say 1/2 or 1/3, but is dificult to find-it in Spain. I will share the test. image.jpg View attachment 4720 View attachment 4720 image.jpg

Attached Files:

20. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

Jordi Cristofol likes this.