/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVI Videolink and Remote Follow Focus options

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Harsha, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Harsha

Harsha New Member

I received my Movi M10 and very exited to use but stuck due to limitations of not having FF and Video downlink.
    Can someone share your knowledge on the same.

2. Daniel Velluet

Daniel Velluet New Member

Hi HArsha,

Here sommes information about Follow Focus Red Rock item needed for FF controlling (answer email from Redrock)
    :
    Thanks for contacting us on live chat. Sorry we missed you but we were closed for the day- we close at 5pm central time and open at 9am, Monday to Friday. The MoVi and the remote are a great combo. Here's our official recommended setup for lightweight gimbals.
    Like a Steadicam, remote focus control is a must while operating on a gimbal The microRemote is the lightest remote focus system out there, so our gear is a perfect match for weight sensitive gimbal setups.

Here are the recommended parts for a microRemote lightweight gimbal setup that allows for both wireless and finger wheel control:
    The weight limitations on these systems refer to the amount of weight that can be on the gimbal itself, and not the bracket that is holding the gimbal. To keep the weight on the actual gimbal mechanism low, here is all we suggest attaching to the gimbal itself.
    • microShoeClamp
    • Single 6” Rail
    • Torque Motor
    • Motor Cable
    • microLensGear
    • Total of 14 13/40oz.
    That's less than 1 lb! The rest of the components attach to the bracket that holds the gimbal and does not effect the overall weight capacity of the system.

That means the camera and lens itself can be just over 4lbs. Here are a few heavier combinations that are only possible on these 5lb systems because the microRemote is so light:
    • 5D MK III with Zeiss CP.2
    • 5D MK III with Canon 24-70
    • T5i with 70-200 non IS
    • T5i with EF 300mm f/4L
    Lastly, here is an index of all the microRemote components with their weights, just in case you need the information:

Weight Index
    microShoeClamp – 4 4/5oz
    Torque Motor - 5 3/4oz
    Motor Cable - 2 3/8oz
    Single 6" Rail - 1oz
    microLensGear - 1oz
    microRemote Basestation – 5 1Ž2 oz.
    Canon EF Weight Chart

If you need anything else, please let us know. Cheers!

Kind Regards,
    Rachel Howard

3. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Harsha,
    regarding redrock microRemote be aware that there is a 30 business day lead time to delivery when ordering (at least they told me that back in the end of October).
    Regarding Video downlink: it seems most people either use paralinx or teradek. I ordered a teradek clip which seems pretty cool, but I haven´t got a chance to play with too much, so I can´t tell you much yet. Teradek has some different options depending on your needs.

4. Philip Aarseth

Hey Daniel,

I'm just wondering, how are you powering your basestation?
    I was under the impression that you needed external power to power the basestation and then again let that power the motor.

5. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

ddg_nick likes this.
  6. Philip Aarseth

Thanks for your reply Loren,

Do you have a link to anybody that sells such a custom cable?
    And also do you have any LiPo batteries you would recommend?

7. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Philip,

For the microRemote to Paralinx or Bolt Cable, you'd have to get a cable maker like Terry West ( techrat531@verizon.net ) to make one for you.

Or with some basic wiring knowledge, they're actually relatively easy to make yourself by buying a PowerPack D-Tap Cable, removing the D-Tap Connector, and soldering on either a 2-Pin pigtail for the Bolt, or a regulator and USB connector from the Paralinx.

And I've been sticking with the Freefly batteries since day 1

8. Philip Aarseth

Would it be possible to use the usb directly from the camera to the paralinx?

9. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Hm, I'm not sure what you mean Philip?

10. Philip Aarseth

Powering the Paralinx from the usb IO on the camera (I'm using a 5D Mark III), do you know if it's possible?

11. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Ah - I see. No that is not possible, that port doesn't have the capacity to do so.

12. Philip Aarseth

I would love to see Redrock make some kind of tutorial or recommended gear page for the microRemote paired with a paralinx/ teradek!

13. Kyler Zee

Kyler Zee New Member

This type of solution should be offered directly from redrock or paralinx. It's a shame it isn't

14. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Loren, do you have more angles of this setup you can post I want to see how both the battery and Paralinx is mounted.

15. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Chris,

This is probably the best angle showing those two things. The battery is mounted with dual-lock velcro to the back of the Gimbal Rail Clamp.

The Paralinx is plugged directly into our right angle HDMI adapter from our wirelock, mostly because I don't have a Shield for the transmitter yet.

Not sure I would leave the Paralinx plugged in like that for a shoot though, would be worried about the weight on the camera's HDMI.

16. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Thanks for the info Loren... That Right Angle HDMI adapter..... It WILL work on the 1DC?

17. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Chris,

It will work with the 1Dc, but I would be worried about the weight of the Paralinx pulling on the 1Dc's plug overtime.

18. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

Loren,

Correct me if I'm wrong but when utilizing the HDMI wirelock, it needs to be used in conjunction with the UltraBase support plate, correct? That being said, wouldn't the higher center of gravity take its toll when trying to balance the roll axis on the Movi? Do you offer a HDMI protection solution for the 1D-C without the baseplate?

19. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Chris,

Yes the HDMI wirelock needs to be used with the ultraBase, and I wouldn't suggest using the ultraBase with the 1Dc.

But that was my concern I voiced earlier. I was using just the Right Angle adapter from our wirelock bundle, and not the actual metal locking bracket. So there is nothing supporting the Paralinx other than the HDMI port, which could overtime do some damage.

I have been doing a little playing around on the side, seeing if I could support the HDMI Adapter from the locking Ethernet port. I have yet to find just the right Ethernet connector (I plan on cutting off the rest of the cable once I do), but it could be an interesting DIY solution. Not officially supported by Redrock of course.

IMG_0206.JPG

20. Chris Daidone

Chris Daidone Member

I gotcha. Just for the record, I don't plan on using the Arrow in that configuration. However, I am looking to find a good HDMI protection solution for the 1D-C as I will be recording uncompressed to an Atomos Ninja2. Any suggestions?