/dist/images/branding/favicon

MōVI Tips

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Gary Haynes, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Sorry I forgot to thank you for he tip on balancing. Yes, I did press on and as yet haven't done any test shooting as I'm still trying to get my head around the best setting for majestic mode.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Garry there are folks getting all sorts of settings due to all the variables. Lens selection would be one of those. But if you want a ball park then Pan, Roll, Tilt might be 100, 70, 20. Pan highest, roll next and then tilt. But each setup will be different.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

They vary a lot with my 5D Mark III. Using a 28mm f2.8, I have to have the stiffness much lower on all three axes than if I go with the 24-105 lens. It's all about the mass of the camera/lens, I think.

As the actual settings: for the 24-105, P = 55, R = 46, T = 30. (Expert settings both at 5).
    For the 28 mm, I don't remember them other than T was down around 14 or so.

Andy.

4. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

With my 5DMKIII I have P- 50 R-30 T-10 Noise filtre 1. Had P higher but had to bring it down started to shake. I suppose Stiffness doesn´t need to be high if balance is perfect.

Augusto

5. Augusto Alves da Silva

Hi Andy:

Is there a tech spec for the noise filter? I am already very familiar with all the parameters on the Movi and I understand each an every parameter. Just missing the noise filter. I know what it does but I can´t stop wondering why it comes with a value of 5 from the factory. The default should be no shakes right (0)? It would be very helpful if someone from freefly would "translate back" :) on a more technical way what is the noise filter doing to the tuning.

Best regards

Augusto

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

If there is a tech spec, I've not seen it, Augusto. Hopefully, once the holidays are over someone from FF will see your posting above and respond.

Regards
    Andy

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Augusto you say 'noise' filter but I don't know what you mean. There is a Gyro and an Output Filter. Normal default is a 5 value for both. For lighter cameras the goal is to have gain settings as high as possible. If you find that with the default settings that specifically the Tilt gain can't get much above 10 then try lowering them until you are able to get a tilt value, if possible, at 20 or above.

The settings that you show above are really low but you didn't mention what lens you have mounted. You can see Andy's values and those are pretty typical. If you are running the 24-105 then I suspect something else is going rather than the Gyro/Output filter settings.

Perhaps you can shoot some photos/short videos of that happens when you go back to the 5 value on both and try the settings that Andy is using. And as everything with the MōVI as you know is balance on all axis.

8. Augusto Alves da Silva

Hi Gary:

It is the output filter. Tabb mentioned it as a noise filter on Movi specs (Movi 10 features description) "With the patent pending MōVI noise filter, the camera operator can focus on framing and the MōVI takes care of the rest consistently and repeatably.
    You probably got me wrong. The settings I posted are working great I have no problem with them. Jut wanted to understand what the "noise filter" (output filter relates to). I have the tilt stifness at 10 because it is working great like that so no complaints. The gimbal is perfectly balanced and I don´t need to raise the stiffness (gain). But I would like very much if someone could enlighten me about the technical side of the output filter. As it says it gives the gimbal a "shakey" feeling logically should be the higher the value the bigger the shakes. Why is it factory preset at 5 and not 0 to get a perfect not shakey feeling?

Thank you for answering

P.S.- Gary sorry to disagree but the lighter the cameras are the lower gain you need. When you increase the gain with a lighter camera it will start shaking due to excessive power on the motors.

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Augusto what I meant by 'higher gains' is that you will get even better performance if you can get the gains to increase. I forget the exact wording but it has to do with trying to get the largest reduction in angular motion. Example a value of 10 on Tilt is not as good as a value of 20. And your numbers are extremely low compared to others who have posted or I have seen with a similar setup.

In the first training class what I remember is that the lower filter settings dampen that particular filter. So if you reduce the output filter it applies an overall reduction to all three motors. Maybe Tabb will see the post and add to the discussion.

10. Augusto Alves da Silva

Hi Gary:

I see what you mean...but 10 is the highest I can get without shakes...so I left it at 10. But it´s ok. Thank you for your help.

11. YU Chenkang

YU Chenkang New Member

so if you want use m10 after transport, you need adjust left back?

12. Augusto Alves da Silva

I have chosen to use a cinemaoxide.com case to transport the full rig assembled and balanced...to me it is worth having it ready to work with some minor adjustments to the overall setup. Besides it is well protected and I can carry monitors, chargers etc...all in the same case.

13. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Hi Augusto.
    I'm considering the same case as they paper to be very good. Can you simply slot the whole M10 in without removing or loosening anything? By that I don't mean leaving the camera and FF on, but basically still set up so you can just add the camera and FF and do some minor balance adjustments.

Looking at the pic on the cinemaoxide website it looks as if the top handle of the M10 sitting substantially above the top level of the foam insert. How does the case lid close with this sticking up so far?

Cheers
    Garry

14. Augusto Alves da Silva

Hi Gary I keep the Movi assembled all the time. It is the advantage of this case. I tried to keep it smaller but came to the conclusion that very easily I ran out of space, so I found better to have a slightly bigger case than a bunch of smaller ones. Remember the monitors, FF batteries is stand chargers etc...etc...
    See below the pic of my case. The only thing I have too loosen is the top handle but to tilt it sideways a bit. They even send a metal ring so we can lock the handle in place.

Attached Files:

15. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Thanks for the quick reply Augusto.
    I thought the top handle would have to move somewhere, so that explains it. I totally agree that keeping as much as possible in the one case is the best way to go as it makes perfect sense. I'm still going to need something else for the Secraft monitor and remote bracket and harness, but hey thats about it.

By the way the pic of your case that you attached didn't load.

Cheers
    Garry

16. Augusto Alves da Silva

You won´t need a monitor case as you have plenty of space underneath the stand....two big compartments :)

17. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Hi Tabb any updates on this?

18. Augusto Alves da Silva

Hi Gary and other moderators. I was hoping that the Movi 5 was not what it is. Finally I had the chance of seeing one live and I am very disappointed at Freefly. I pulled the trigger on a Movi 10 and a few months after the 5 is announced and then released. With a payload of 5 pounds would be no match for the M10 not only of its payload but also the price. ONE third the price of the Movi 10. My impressions? Well the 10 is completely outdated by the 5. The 5 has been built to correct the flaws of the 10. I am not saying the Movi 10 is not a good rig, but the 5 is nothing more or less than a "Mini 15". I didn´t like the 3rd axis clamp it was really difficult to tighten on the 5 it is corrected. Found the camera craddle "weak" on the 10 on the 5 it is corrected. Not only it is a better version of the 10 but carries C100 and a RED and costs 1/3 of the price? Mr Firchau what is Freefly going to do with the people that supported the Movi from the beginning? Are you letting us down? Are you going to let us keep having those problems and solve them only for those who waited to buy the 5 only? We all hoped that the 10 would still be the flagship but I feel I am the owner of and old design which was the "beta testing for 2 full tested products...the 5 and the 15. I would expect this from the Chinese industry but not from you guys. I am a very disappointed Movi 10 owner today. My question is should I have waited? Or this is what we get from being faithful to a company? As a side note I have a Cinestar 8 and a 3 axis servo gimbal much before Movi ever existed...

19. Hello Augusto...The M10 was our flagship product, the first of its kind. Since it's release, we have been listening to our customers and using that information to improve our new products. In addition to improving our new products, we have been working on ways to incorporate these changes for the M10. We have announced plans for the large scale upgrade to the M15 but in addition we are working on other smaller changes that can be made without sending the unit in. It takes time to work out the best methods for making these upgrades possible (without needing to send units back) and we appreciate everyone's patience. As soon as we have more details on the upgrades that will be available, we will publish them here on the forums and through our email newsletter. If I can answer any additional questions or if you have other concerns, feel free to contact us directly at support@freeflysystems.com.

20. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Denise, that is great news. I too had concerns about my recent purchase of the Movi M10 and small upgrades that make a big difference like what Augusto mentioned. I am looking forward in what we can do to better our M-10 rigs and update them incrementally.