/dist/images/branding/favicon

The New DJI LightBridge...!!!

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Marc BRACELET, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Marc BRACELET

Marc BRACELET Active Member

dji-lightbridge-hd2.jpg dji-lightbridge-hd.jpg
    This is really really awesome...

- 2,4ghz FullHD DIGITAL Vidéo
    - Transmition très longue distance (long range) 1,7kms et 5kms avec l'option antenne 14dBi - moins de 100mW
    - Entrée sortie multiples (AV input - HDMI input - DJI Zenmuse nacelle input - HDMI HD output - Connection USB 2.0 pour IOS et Android smartphone et tablettes)

Features:
    1 - .2.4G Full HD Digital Video Downlink.
    2 - .Extreme Long Distance Transmission.
    3 - .Multiple Input And Output Connections.
    4 - .Built-in Remote Control Link.
    5 - .Strong Anti-Jamming Technology.
    6 - .Low Latency Transmission.
    7 - .Built-in OSD(On-Screen Display)Function.
    8 - .Must Work With DJI Multi-Rotor Flight Controllers.
    9 - .Multi-device Operation Mode, Stable And Reliable.
    10 - .Built-in High Capacity Battery.
    11 - .Electromagnetic Interference Shielded Structural Design.

2. Marc BRACELET

Oh the price in my country (France) is 1359€ First release next month...:)

3. Marc BRACELET

And many more...!!!

Lightbridge4.jpg DJI-LightBridge3.jpg

4. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

So this unit will also replace your copter's RX and TX?

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I have a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think about a high-bandwidth video signal somehow being mux'd (or whatever) with my copter's command and control connection. Seems to me one is considerably more important than the other. Why would you want to combine them?

Tell me I'm wrong.

6. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

I'm confused as well - why would you want to tether a two-man operation like the diagram above??

7. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Exactly. This is why I asked if this unit will also replace the copter's radio system...why would they produce a long range high power wireless video system running on 2.4GHz???

8. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Hey, man. It's DJI. Don't ask too many questions. :rolleyes:

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Drew it is for training. Most of the TX on the market have the ability to go into Trainer mode. Hook two together with a connector cable. And hard to tell what is actually controlling the copter. The Radio or the DJI system. My bet would be the DJI system, again acting like a trainer setup. (Or the way you run the flight simulator program).

10. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Gary, I understand the training aspect but from what I've read and seen on other forums - it states that the Tx on the ground station bundles the analog flight signal through the wired connection with the gimbal controls and video uplink data in a single 2.4ghz digital signal. The Rx on the multi then interprets the signals and applies them accordingly. Google translate is responsible for a lot of what I read on the Chinese forums so we'll see what it actually all does?!

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hmm.
    This item is a bit strangely worded:
    8 - .Must Work With DJI Multi-Rotor Flight Controllers.

I would hope that was "Will work with...."

But it's an interesting idea -- the 2.4Ghz band has a fair amount of data carrying capacity (I seem to recall about 160 megabits/sec for 802.11n), and RC controllers don't take that much. The video downlink is another story though.

Looks like we're "living in interesting times..."
    Andy.

Marc BRACELET likes this.
  12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

On reflection, I think Drew might be on the right track, the two transmitters, operating in Trainer Mode, combine their signals into summed PPM (like the Graupner) -- this will be split out (de-muxed) by the receiver, so that flight control channels and gimbal control channels are sent to the different "servos."

Andy.

13. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Drew I badly worded it but I think you are correct. Radio is wired to the DJI box. TX turned off on the radio, like you might do in AeroSim, and the DJI is the TX/RX for the flight. Andy indications really seem to be that it works with only DJI FC.

Howard Dapp likes this.
  14. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Thanks Gary - after reading your post again, I realized what you were getting at. It is my understanding that it does only work with DJI FC systems. Apparently, setting up the system in the tethered fashion kills any chance of signal conflict on the 2.4 band?! Seems like a lot going on to trust flight controls, gimbal controls, OSD data and an HD downlink...

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I hear ya, Drew, but when you go digital, there's really no such thing as "crowded." Either the data fits or it don't. :) But I'm making the assumption (a big assumption) that DJI's system has some error checking and/or redundancy in the data streams. (At this point it may be worth remembering Adam Osborne, a pioneer of the computer industry, who coined a law (his second law), "Assumption is the mother of all f^&*k-ups.") For geeks amongst us, his first law was: Constants aren't, variables won't. Anyone who cuts code intuitively knows this to be true.

But you are right -- the overall complexity of the system has increased and you wonder what bad things happen if the camera op goes to scratch their nose and inadvertently disconnects, etc. -- in other words, I wonder what the failure modes of the system might be? But I'm sure DJI has tested that. I hope they have....I wish they had... ;)

The other question I have though, is if you're flying in an area where there might be WiFi nodes already sucking bandwidth from the 2.4Ghz range, what then? And this is where "crowded" does come in -- will the DJI system gracefully degrade or does it just swamp the other channels in the band?

This is certainly a product to watch. It may even be a product to buy! :)

Andy.

16. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Thanks Andy. The specs read: "Strong Anti-Jamming Technology" :rolleyes:

I'm with you, definitely a product to watch!

17. Patrick Thompson

Not super keen on the controller integration, but it looks like a great turn-key solution for an HD video downlink.

Unsure about the tethered controller, also. Perhaps some other pilots can relate, but how often have you walked away from the gimbal op, to maintain LOS on a craft, or moved the PIC position while flying, to gauge proximity to hazards. I do it all the time, and could not imagine being leashed to my camera operator.

Love the concept & price point, but the mechanics are pretty intimidating.

PT

18. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Here are some additional explanations of the Lightbridge features -

Screen Shot 2014-02-12 at 8.11.25 AM.png Screen Shot 2014-02-12 at 8.07.35 AM.png Screen Shot 2014-02-12 at 8.14.22 AM.png

19. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

For safety the connectors from the TX to the DJI system should be locking type connectors.... Coming up after the break is the top news of the night. Mean dog runs at the pilot who backs up and and inadvertently unplugs. Copter heads home. We'll be right back with that story and video....

Drew Kachurak likes this.
  20. Patrick Thompson

Lemo's would be nice, but I'd rather have the ability to disconnect, have the craft go to position hold failsafe, then re-acquire full manual control, with a redundant RX on the craft.

If it works as just a gimbal VTX downlink, and gimbal control station, for $1500, I can't fault it.