/dist/images/branding/favicon

RED EPIC video Cable

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Chad Copeland, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Chad Copeland

Chad Copeland New Member

Hello,

I need to fly the EPIC and am looking for a way to see the video. Is there an SD cable that would send a signal directly to the MONDO Extreme or a different method being used? I need good range...

Thank you,

Chad

2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I'm using the freefly HDMI converter that sends a composite signal to the lawmate. For some reason I don't see them on freefly's website anymore.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

They are no longer sold by Freefly.

4. Chad Copeland

Chad Copeland New Member

They no longer make the HDMI converter which is terribly tragic as they were the best on the market. I'd do about anything to have them bring that back in a housing!

5. Chad Copeland

Chad Copeland New Member

So is there a solution?

6. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Dave King likes this.
  7. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Kopterworx puts out a HDMI converter, that doesn't require input power .... unless you use a blackmagic pocket cam ..

8. Howard Dapp

Neither does the Amazon converter. If you open it up, the board looks suspiciously like the one on Kopterworx site. Look at where the USB and pal/ntsc switch are on both (the bulge on the side of KW's converter is a usb port) they could be the same or similar. The prices certainly are not.

http://kopterworx.com/hdmi-to-av-converter-mini.html

image.jpg

9. Dave King

Howard I hooked up my freefly converter for the first time and it doesn't work. So your saying that where it shows USB/Power port its not needed? Plese confirm.

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Dave what converter are you using? The original FF converter didn't have a USB port?

11. Dave King

Gary I'm currently using the freefly converter. I was asking Howard about the Amazon one that he mentions above not needing power but on the unit its shows a USB power port. I bought the freefly converter new last year but I just used my composite feed from the 7D. For thie freefly converter I'm confirming that I have 5vs going in but its not giving me anything out.

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Dave check it with some of your other cameras. I asked Kopterworx months ago to test their device with a RED since I had heard that there was some issue. Never heard a peep back. Doesn't make sense but I don't have a RED to try. I have several of the cheap boards. One of them was an exact duplicate of the KW board. Some cameras need power others self power the board. And from board to board it is different. Just need to methodically test. Lots of variables in these cheap items.

13. Howard Dapp

Dave, I don't have the FF converter. I have the Amazon. So far it works with the Epic, 5D2/3 and F55.

14. Dave King

Yeah that's what I meant. If the amazon converter works with out power for the red.

15. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Dave it may not work. Some of my cameras are fine without power, others need power applied. If your testing with the RED did you add power to see if it works?

16. Dave King

Gary I put 5 volts to the Freefly converter and it doesn't pass the HDMI signal. I removed the Heat shrink tubing and checked some voltage at a couple transisters and its measuring 5 volts. I triple checked the wiring from the white/black to composite rca cable and its solid. I think the board is bad. With that said since you can't buy them anymore I wanted to try the Amazon converter and give it a shot to see if passes the signal without power. I don't think there's no easy way to give it power to the USB port is there?

17. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Sure, take it out of the case and either cut up a USB cable or direct wire power to the board. Here's a photo of the bottom of a board that works. While it has the power wired it worked without power for a couple of cameras and needed 5V for others.

IMG_1231.JPG IMG_1230.JPG

Dave King likes this.
  18. Howard Dapp

I started a thread here last year detailing the mod I did with the Amazon converter. Just remove the usb connector...simple. I've found that not all hdmi cables work. Early on I used an hdmi cable that caused flicker when using with the 5d and only worked well with power. I swapped cables later down the line and it works well without power. I believe the key is to use the shortest possible hdmi cable..i'm using a 1' cable. Too long and the 5v low amperage power will not be enough.

http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...mponent-video-for-wireless-tx.872/#post-13123

Dave King likes this.