/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

I'm Curious about what exactly this means
    "Up to 5x more precision with the new PID (increase I-term until oscillation starts and than reduce a little back to get the maximum from it)"
    and this
    (GUI): new setting for additional POWER in case of big error (caused by missed steps)

• (GUI): new setting to enable estimation of the frame angle from motor's poles in the Lock mode, like in the Follow mode before. Helps to increase the range of frame angles where gimbal's operation is stable.

2. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

You'll have to go through all PID settings and readjust with this new firmware. My old settings produced erratic behavior. The new power setting is working well. It automatically increases power if an axis skips a step, my gimbals seems to have more power and torque :)

Still playing with settings.

3. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

You got that right. How much does the gimbal weigh with the 6 motors Howard?

Bill

4. Bill Collydas

Jason,
    In the advance tab raise the Gyro acc. to 150 or 200.

Bill

5. Howard Dapp

If I can remember it was somewhere around 6lbs this is with downlink and 1500 mah 15c 4s lipo to power the gimbal/downlink.

One thing I'm having an issue with is Yaw follow with the new FW...can't get it to work.

I do see high-speed rolling and tilting has been greatly improved. It seems now when I violently roll and tilt the frame as fast as I can both axis hold firm which is amazing to me.

6. Jason Herring

Jason Herring Member

Bill is that gyro trust? I don't see gyro acc,
    Thanks for your help, what does that setting do?

7. Bill Collydas

compensates for accelerations of fast movements.
    Yes Gyro thrust...

Bill

8. Bill Collydas

Howard did you try to invert the yaw motor?

9. Vilpertti Tirronen

Vilpertti Tirronen New Member

I tested new firmware. In last firmware yaw only worked with follow mode, now it works only without it ...strange.
    Pids seem to work similarly with new firmware.

I am still having problems with fast forward flight, when camera pointing forward also. Maybe pan axis is too weak with rctimer 4114?
    Camera is GH3 12-35. I need to use very high power and P value in yaw axis.

10. Howard Dapp

Were you able to get yaw follow to work at all?

Bill, inverting the motors didn't work. Strange

11. Vilpertti Tirronen

Vilpertti Tirronen New Member

It was too complex checkboxes in GUI for dummy like me.
    You have to enable ex. "Follow flight controller" -box and then "follow yaw" setting works.
    Roll and pitch can be left zero.

Now I think new firmware works pretty well. I have settings with or without follow mode in 2 profiles, can choose with board button.
    Long click enables/disables motors, which is good if you want to have gimbal powered in field but do something with camera.

12. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

Hi guys,
    I wanted to get some feedback on my brushless gimbal tuning. It seems to be pretty good at 24mm which is a focal length I am used to shooting for aerial. I seem to be having a good bit of horizon drift on the roll axis though. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.
    This is a nikon d800 with 24-120mm lens with vibration reduction on
    brushlessgimbals.com gimbal with 8018 on pitch and roll and 8017 belt reduction on pan in a 4 to 1 ratio.
    alexmos high power board

PID settings:
    P I D power # of poles
    Roll 16 0.3 18 180 42
    Pitch 12 0.3 8 153 42
    Yaw 10 .19 12 175 112

gyro trust 100
    accelerations compensation off
    gyro high sensitivity on

password: 24mmlens

13. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Looks pretty smooth, but I can definitely see some jerkiness and horizon shift. The jerkiness could be in the airframe or vibration isolators, not the gimbal.

You also need to clean the sensor on your camera. One of the problems of using a really small aperture (like f16 or so) is that sensor dust becomes very sharp. Strange how that works, huh?

14. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

Thanks for taking a look steve. How would you suggest I go about fixing the horizon drift? Do you think I need softer dampeners on the echo quick release?

15. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I’ll have to leave the horizon issue to others. I’ve had the same problem. :rolleyes:

But the quick release is certainly a suspicious part of this. If there’s any flex in it, that could be the cause of some of your issues. Can you eliminate it and test without it? I don’t use the QR systems, and I know others who have had issues with them.

16. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

I'm wondering if the gyro trust setting is a good place to start for horizon issues. Have you played with that? I have mine set to 100 but curious how well it would work dropping it to 50 or up to 150. I can't tell from the description which direction works better for holding horizon. The quick release I have is pretty good. It's a solid hard mount to the frame and has different dampeners and adjustable stiffness. I can't tell if I need to make it stiffer or softer. Does it look like I am getting hard mount vibration or rather wiggle from soft rubber?

17. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Increasing the I value should help recovering from horizon problem faster. Gyro trust should help also, mine is set to 200 as far as I remember.

Also, 6-way IMU calibration should be done perfectly to overcome the horizon drift problems.

18. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

What is the procedure to doing a 6way calibration? I've seen so much conflict ion information on that. What order of positions do you do it in? Do you press write after each position? Can I do it with the imu on the gimbal? Thanks in advance.

19. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Check out this video:

Steve Maller likes this.
  20. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

Has anyone had problems with direct drive on the yaw axis. My problem is that with a more sudden pan/yaw I believe the CS8 vibration isolators are giving and somehow confuses the gimbal and it yaws/pans in normally the opposite direction and doesnt stop until you counteract it and sometimes vibrates when you try to stop it.

using the setup from brushlessgimbals.com with yaw set as follws.

P 44
    I 0.0
    D 38
    Power 140