/dist/images/branding/favicon

MōVI ‘Ninja Star’

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Jacob Schwarz, Dec 14, 2013.

1. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

Gotcha. Thanks Chris. I was actually almost able to make this happen the way I wanted (Ninja Star on top of the crossbar). I removed the 4 screws that hold the crossbar down, but left the small spacers, flipped the ninja star so the recessed holes face upward (away from the camera), then used those same 4 screws to tighten everything back down. Only one problem, those 4 screws are just a few mm too short to reach now.

Any chance Freefly has slightly longer versions of those screws available, or knows where to find them off the shelf?

2. James,
    I see what you want to do, unfortunately we do not have longer screws to enable you to do that. The screws are not that hard to acquire.
    We have a place here is WA called Tacoma Screw. I don't know what the equivalent would be in your area.

Chris

3. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

James, take a look at ebay. I bought a lot of different M3 screws in a german ebay store, but I guess there should be others too. Search for m3 50mm - I guess that's what you'll need. But you can also order 45mm ones - they are pretty cheap so ordering different lenghts gives you some options.

4. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

Are the screws supplied with the MoVI stainless steel or aluminum?

5. Charles Bergquist

About how long until there's another batch of them? Just went to purchase one and it's sold out.

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

James screws are stainless.

7. Dylan Law

Dylan Law Member

Hi Ben,

Quick question. How did you mount the Star to the actual Porta-Jib. I am working with the setup up now and noticing that the 1/4 20 holes on my 100mm Bowl head are not matching with the actyual Ninja Star. Do you have a 75mm Bowl attachment on your jib??? Any help would be great. Thanks

Dylan

8. Ben Bateman

Ben Bateman New Member

For that test we removed the 100mm bowl from the intermediate plate and fixed the Ninja star with only two screws in such a way that it was as far forward as possible. This was far from ideal and we're having a custom cheeseplate made that matches the dimensions of the plate from Losmandy but with holes so that we can attach the M10 more securely.

9. Dylan Law

Dylan Law Member

10. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Nice, how about the footage? ;-)

11. Dylan Law

Dylan Law Member

Cutting together the footage now I will post soon!!

12. Dylan Law

Dylan Law Member

MoVI M10 with Ninja Star Adapter on Porta-Jib Footage!!!

Barry Collins likes this.
  13. Kyler Zee

Kyler Zee New Member

Hey Dylan,

Great video! Thanks for sharing. Could you explain how exactly you attached the M10 to the portajib? Did you find a way to secure it from more than two points? Thanks again!

-Kyler

14. Dylan Law

Dylan Law Member

It took a bit of tinkering but we eventually secured it to the Mitchell Base Attachment for the Jib with a Washer and Tie Down with a Dovetail set up. This took some stress off the Unit since you can only really get one screw from the Ninja Star to the M10. I felt much more secure with this set up then I did before. I wish there was a few more points of contact that would work with the Porta Jib. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

15. Dylan Law

Dylan Law Member

M10 on Porta Jib with RED Epic Build Up from Rule Boston Camera Learning Lab

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

IMG_0325.JPG

Modification to Bridge Plate to secure Ninja Star with Two Points of 3/8ths Contact

IMG_0331.JPG

Ninja Star Attached to Bridge Plate with Modified Mounts

IMG_0335.JPG

Bridge Plate with Ninja Star attached to Dove Tail

IMG_0341.JPG

Mitchell Base Adapter to Mount to Porta Jib

16. Charles Bergquist

Great uses so far! Thanks for posting photos of set ups.

Are there any other videos or diagrams of set-ups that people are using for the Ninja Star? Anything officially from FreeFly?

Thanks, just got mine this week!

C

17. Adolfo Cantu-Villarreal

I agree with Charles, we've seen some great uses form different MōVI owners, but it would be great to see how Freefly is implementing the Ninja Star with the gear mentioned in the item's description "Steadicam, Tripods, Jibs, Car Mounts".

The tutorial videos were great, an extension of those to the Ninja Star would be incredibly useful for most owners.

Looking forward to the many uses we'll give this item!

18. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Dylan - nice. Have you modified the design for a toad solution yet? I'm trying to figure out how to do this - I can invert the 100mm bowl on my Cinevate Axis jib, but trying to make the leap from half ball to toad attachment. Fun fun...