/dist/images/branding/favicon

Wookong Freak out in Cold Weather. Motors start spinning randomly

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Chris Newman, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

So.. I've have 2 random experiences with my wookong in cold weather.

The first was in Mammoth Cali. I went for my 3rd or 4th flight came down landed on the snow. Disengaged engines.... Randomly about 15 seconds later one of the motors turned on full boar and flipped the heli over. I had to hold the center of the frame while I unplugged the battery. It worked perfectly find the rest of the shoot, 9 hrs.

After that shoot I filmed with the heli all kinds of places, cold, hot (peru).

Filmed in Park City Yesterday. On the 7th flight I start up the motors, the motors go bezerk in a rocking pattern and it flips the heli over props spinning. I run over and upright it (so I don't lose escs) and puncture some holes in my brand new down jacket. :(

No issues like that the rest of the day.

Has anyone has similar issues? Is it wookong issue? something else?

2. Patrick Thompson

Scary stuff, hope you're okay.

I've never experienced the exact same issue, and have flown hundreds of flights in respective weather conditions, from -30c to +40c, varying humidity.

The closest incident was a brief blip of a single motor during idle-start, first flight, where it jumped to full revs and back in a heartbeat, rocking the bird to a 45 on it's skids. It was an AXI gold, on a CC esc, WK-M, Futaba.

It was incredibly humid that day, so I figured it was condensation(cold from air-con in hotel, straight to exterior set?) causing a glitch. Switched to the backup rig, which had been acclimatized, identical setup, no issues.

Have never had the same thing again, but have made a point to let electronics acclimatize to ambient temps, before flight.

If you find the issue, please advise, and provide some more details on your setup.

Blue Skies,

PT

3. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Yeah Patrick your experience is very similar to mine!

My Setup
    MT-3515's, Matech esc's, WK-M, Spektrum DX8 (first experience) (Dx9 Second experience).

Worst part we only had 3 chances to film the bob sled runs. And that happened right before the 3rd run. :(

4. Patrick Thompson

There was a post about the Maytech's having an issue recently- motor failure mid flight, with a similar setup. Coincidence? Are you running flashed ESC's? I've always been curious if this was an issue.

Following.

5. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Patrick,
    Do you have a link to that thread?

I have 2 setups, both maytech, one flashed and one not. The setup I've been using with the issues have not been flashed.

6. Patrick Thompson