/dist/images/branding/favicon

M10 with open door helicopter

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Chad Lancaster, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Paul Watt

Paul Watt Member

Great piece. I've found the easyrig to really help in the heli, although in an A-Star the key seemed to be to flip up the seats, and sit right on the floor in order to have enough room to point forward back and down easily. Did you hand hold it the whole time? In the past I've bungied the camera to the inside of the heli. That might work with the Movi too.

2. Cam Batten

Cam Batten Member

thanks, it was a fun adventure! I'm local to Sydney..

Camera setup was pretty low-key on this one - 5dmkIII+24-70, all shot handheld in majestic as I was the sole shooter for the project.

I had 3 flights in the chopper - Flight 1: rigged the MoVI upside down for clearance ease to get higher to the roof and further out of the prop wash. I feel like the horizon had more drift using this method, but that may have just been the heli pilot getting used to non-aggressive turns.

Flight 2 + 3: Rigged it normally (sans top handle). I think this was the best method for limiting the horizon drift, but I had to be a little more careful about the wind wash since the camera was lower, closer to the door.

I didn't have any troubles with the rig shutting down, and the horizon levelled eventually, however it did affect some shooting opportunities when it was way off. I was able to shut the chopper door and re-initialize after swapping a lipo, but the second time I tried this I couldn't get startup, so we just landed and shot off again.

As for the dragonfly microlite, the MoVI handled the headwind really well, however all the work it was doing drained the lipo far quicker then expected, got about an hours flight out of that one before it shut down.

3. Diogo Domingues

Diogo Domingues New Member

Hey guys i recently had a shoot up in the drakensberg mountains with red bull and got mixed results, the best situation was definitely sitting inside the chopper out of the rotor wash and especially the slip stream, i had a few times where the slip stream nocked out the calibration of the Movi where i had to reboot it in the air during mid flight, it was easy to do i would rest one of the handles on my knee and kept the rig as stable as possible until the full reboot. i found if the helicopter was flying side ways i could come out of the chopper more as there was no slip stream and i got some really nice results. my rig setup was a ratchet around the top of the helicopter, then i attached a cows tail(climbing strap with multiple loops) to the ratchet which was used as a safety and away to free my hands whilst flying in-betweenlocations. i suspended the rig off bunjee cord which was attached to the helicopter . ill try post some pics soon!!

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

A good heli pilot will 'side slip' in forward flight to help the camera op with some shielding. Not always possible if high speed is needed.

5. Jason Hawkes

Jason Hawkes New Member

Hi Diogo, I searched the footage you produced, I assume its this , looks very nice indeed. I shoot aerial stills, sometimes footage from full size helis. Just wondered which rig you used M5 or M10 if you can remember. Id like to get hold of one and try it out. Hope to hear back from you. Jason

6. Andrew Griffiths

Hi Jason,
    Provided you are happy with a fixed focal length the Movi works fine. I find I still get better results with greater flexibility using a Tyler (for stills and video). When the Movi's working it's great but cannot be guaranteed in a chopper, hence the Tyler gets my vote for time critical work... And let's face it, time is critical when working with helicopters.
    Regards
    Andrew

7. Jason Hawkes

Jason Hawkes New Member

Hi Andrew,

Thats interesting that you say that. I normally just shoot aerial stills, sometimes shoot footage on a Cineflex and also have used another smaller gyro mount Ive used occasionally but its pretty basic. Which Tyler do you normally use ?

8. Andrew Griffiths

Mini and mid mount Tyler's. Still can't beat Cineflex and Shotover for stability :)

9. Ricardo Aguerre

Ricardo Aguerre New Member

i've been using my m5 with gh4 in a R44 seated in front side by side with the pilot.
    No problem with the space and camera angles. Most of it to the front. The wind is a problem flying over 40 knots but the main problem for me is the horizon level.
    If the helicopter changes course (ie just 30 degrees), no matter how gentle is the maneuver, the horizon doesn't stay level even if the movi is inside. It needs 20 second to recover.
    In multirotors I guess that g forces are strong. I don't know why the movi behaves like this.

10. Kevin Descheemaeker

Hey Guys

We're thinking of of putting our M10 rig in the battle for an upcoming production. The producer asked us to do this because the budget limits. I read a lot of pro and contras of shooting out of a helicopter.

We also got a low budget helicopter type Robinson R44. So what do you guys thin? Give it a shot or walk away from the job offer?

Greetz
    Kevin

11. Mateusz Hajdziony

Kevin, as others have said, there are some issues with using Movi in a helicopter that you have to be aware of and it would be best if you first test everything in the R44 before the shoot so that you know how you can deal with any issues that my arise.

I haven't used my M10 in a hell, but did use it in a small Cessna plane and I think that the situation is similar. You have to keep the Movi inside the cabin to avoid the wind caused by both the rotor and the heli flying fast. You WILL have issues with horizon drifting like crazy so you have to talk with the pilot prior to the shoot (and with DP) to design the shots in such a way so that the helicopter flies steadily without changing its course when the camera is rolling. Any amount of acceleration (be it the helicopter turning or just changing it's forward speed) will throw the Movi's horizon off by a huge amount (in the Cessna the Movi would be constantly tilted +/- 45deg on the roll axis since the plane was doing a circle around the target most of the time).

The last thing - a majestic (follow) mode is, in my opinion, out of question so you have to work in dual operator mode.

As for the pros for using a full-sized heli over a multicopter - the heli can fly faster. Plus you will probably be able to use longer lenses if you tune the Movi well. If there's no need for high-speed shots I can't see a reason why you wouldn't fly a multicopter. You will still be limited by the Movi (horizon, wind, no huge zoom lenses).

Andrew Griffiths likes this.