/dist/images/branding/favicon

international power

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Darren Brower, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Darren Brower

Darren Brower Member

I have a question about power supply and charging. I am sending my C8 down to Argentina for a job on Thu. I own the Efuel 60amp 1200W power supply to power my Hyperion eos720i. Argentina is 220v and the power supply is only rated to 110/120v. Now, do i need to buy a power transformer to power the power supply to power the hyperion? or do i just need a simple power socket converter to bring down the power to 110v?

Cheers,

Darren

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Whoa...hold on there, cowboy. The eFuel will not work with 220v. And given the high current draw, that thing will detonate any adapter you try and use.

I’d suggest getting one of the PRC500 PSUs from Quadrocopter. They say they’ll work with any voltage.
    http://www.quadrocopter.com/PRC500-Power-Supply_p_412.html

Darren Brower likes this.
  3. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

I'm using the eFuel 1200 in Aus, on 240V, and it works just fine, check on the input voltages, you will find the input voltages cover that range, same as most computer power supplies these days. 100-120 and 200-240V

I bought my eFuel from the Canada, and just swapped over the power lead. just double check the input/output plate on your unit.

Some specs are here http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=128

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

From the manual

Total Output Power...............................................................................................1200Watts
    Voltage……………………………………………..…......................100-120V AC (PSU 60ADE)
    200V-240V AC (,PSU 60ADU)
    Input AC Frequency………………………………………………….……….….………50Hz/60Hz
    Output Voltage………………………………………………………..……………..15-24V DC±1V
    Output Current………………………………………………………………….60A±3A @ 20V DC

50A±3A @ 24V DC

5. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

6. Darren Brower

Darren Brower Member

Thanks Chris. Yes, i have the exact same power supply and for the life of me i don't understand why its only marked as 110/120v. So my question is, does this do all the work for the charger? and if so can i plug it into a plug adapter that converts the the power down to 110v or do i need a whole new power supply.

7. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

hmm .... older version or different variant? does it look the same as this?

Attached Files:

8. Darren Brower

Darren Brower Member

Im not exactly sure what this all means Gary. my supply only says 100-120v input and 50-60 hz. Do i need a whole new power supply or how can i make this work. when it comes to power, it is way above my brain cells.

9. Darren Brower

Darren Brower Member

Yep, exactly the same. Crazy right!

10. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

I would contact SkyRC, they are the importer/company that does the eFuel to get the straight story.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

My two eFuels have 100-120v silkscreened on them, once on the top, once on the end near the AC power cord.
    There must be two variants. I got mine from QC.

Andy.

12. Darren Brower

Darren Brower Member

Hi Andy,
    That's exactly what mine says too and i also got them from QC. So how do i charge in a 220v country? how can i make this setup work?

Attached Files:

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Darren:
    I'm afraid you're going to have to get different DC power supplies. Those eFuels will turn to eToast if you plug them into 220v. It would certainly be worth contact the vendor to see what gives and why there are two variants -- but the Progressive RC PRC-500 might be your next best bet. So much for standardized voltages around the world, eh? :(

Andy.

14. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

On my Hyperion duo 720i I have to use 12-24 V DC. I use a HP Server power supply that is rated for 100-240 @ 8.6A a piece. They are 12V but can daisy chained in series to get 24V out of them if you require it. The Model number is DPS-600B. I found some ebay a while back for 30 USD but they go for on sites for about 39 USD.

There is a how to guide to do it. It requires a little bit of soldering to add some female bullet plugs. That can be a bit tedious but not too terrible just requires a healthy amount of solder and you may have to redo it a few times, There are 16 pins in the middle of the main DC power terminals. You have to make a jumper wire from the middle 2 pins on the far right right and connect them to the far bottom left pin. I made a pig tail using a JST for the pin pair and a single female jumper wire that connected the other wire. This is what tricks the power supply to turn on.

Here is the product.

http://www.impactcomputers.com/321632-001.html?gclid=CO_8m5XoirwCFYqPfgod4zwAJQ

photo (34).JPG

There is a lot of how to do it on the internet. There are different pin combos to turn it on. Some people go real crazy with them taking them a part and adding power switches daisy chaining them. I have not daisy chained as I slow charge my batteries and don't require 24V. When I bought mine I did not not take it a part. I Just soldered the terminals and jumped the following wires

This is a low cost option if you don't want to buy another charger. If you need 24V you will have to get 2 and take the chassis off and ground them properly. Like I mentioned there are plenty of how to on the internet just google converting HP DPS-600B for Lipo Charger.

Of course I only charge slow so if you are charging at 10000maH at 1C in parallel it wont do it for you. I charge mine at 2A per battery which is fine for me.

Shaun

Steve Maller likes this.
  15. Darren Brower

Darren Brower Member

Thank you Shaun, thats what i ended up getting and it works great. I have the 24v version which is two of those in series.
    Thank you for the advice.