/dist/images/branding/favicon

Oscillation after tuning

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Kyle Corea, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Kyle Corea

Kyle Corea New Member

After Tuning the stiffness on the Nexus I still get camera oscillation when i hold the Movi with the top horizontal handle. There is no oscillation when holding the side handles though. Has anyone experienced this isolated oscillation when holding the horizontal handle? I tried making stiffness adjustments, but i don't want to comprise that too much. The video tutorial does not show this scenario operating the Movi with Top handle only. Is this normal?
    thanks
    -kyle

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Kyle yes it is normal. Not as much damping with one handle. You may need to adjust gains. Doesn't usually take very much.

Kyle Corea likes this.
  3. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

That will happen from time to time. You should tune the gimbal based on how you plan to use it. For example, if you hard-mounted with a Ninja Star you could probably get the stiffness settings much higher than if you are holding the side handles, and even more so by holding the top handle. Realize that gripping the rig at two points that are spread apart will be a more rigid grip than if you were holding by a single point that's centered over the rig.

If it's oscillating when you are holding the top handle, and you plan to use the Movi that way, then you should tune it down until it doesn't do that. I know that's not what you want to hear, but you can also try wedging the camera to make it more rigid on the gimbal.

Kyle Corea likes this.
  4. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Giday Austin.
    I've actually experienced the same issues as Kyle, but had read similar posts some time ago and was aware of the cause and necessary adjustment. However I'm a bit concerned about the need to wedge the camera for further rigidity. Is this something that could be part of the general set up?

Reason I ask is we were "playing" with our M10 yesterday and had the 5D mk3 on it with 16-35 lens, RR micro FF [which by the way finally arrived a few weeks ago after ordering at the end of Oct], and Dp6 monitor with Paralynx and had the same issues as Kyle mentioned. I'm not sure if this is the correct way to do this, but we adjusted the stiffness while still holding the unit by the top handle, not putting it back on the stand, until it stopped.

A further issue then arose after putting the m10 back on the stand, where after a minute or so it started to oscillate quite a bit again even at lower settings. We shut it down and were surprised to see the camera slumped very badly rather than maintain a balanced position. We then had to go through the balance set up again with minor adjustments necessary to re-establish balance. Everything appeared to be tightened up as it should be, so we're at a loss to understand how the balance goes out so easily.

While I'm here, and in the mood, heres another question for anyone reading. I'm powering the RRFF from its own Freefly lipo mounted on the rails behind the base station and motor. Is this ideal? It seem like theres an awful lot of weight onto of the camera making it very top heavy. Are there any alternatives that someone has experience with that are better? If so I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks gain.
    Garry

5. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

Without being able to troubleshoot personally, it's hard to say, but I'd assume that something was able to jostle free due to being loose. Remember, those plastic hand-adjustable levers still may need to be tightened with a wrench a little to get them where they need to be.

As for this, we've been mounting the Basestation and its power source (Freefly LiPo) up on the crossbar, so it's not even factoring into the gimbal and balancing equation. We accomplish this with our own flexible motor cable, designed for the microRemote. We are currently out of stock, but expect to begin selling them again soon.

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

And if you tune while it is being held off the stand and then place it on the stand then it will tend to vibrate since you don't have the same damping of being held. You do want to tune for the operating mode (top handle, both sides, copter, suspended from a rope) and put it in standby or power off when you put it back on the stand.

7. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

As always Austin, thanks for the quick response.
    Yeah I get what you mean about things coming loose and have since tightened those clamps a little more. We have also found that the oscillation can be so bad that the focus changes and goes from 16mm to 22mm without touching it. This is obviously what changed the balance when the unit was turned off, as when we reset the focus, it was fine. Maybe I need some tape on the focus ring to stop this happening, or invest in fixed lens. For now, the tape will suffice.

I understand your rationale on mounting the RR and battery on the bars, but I'm concerned about the cable getting in the way and hindering operation. I'll have to give that further thought.

Thanks again Austin. Do you ever sleep? It seems like you're always there ready to help out at any time.

Cheers
    Garry

8. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

H
    Hi Gary.
    thanks for the advise.
    What is the "standby mode" you speak of? I didn't know there was one.
    Also once the unit is shut down, for say a lunch break, we loose the settings on the tablet. How do I save them so we can simply switch the M10 back on, go to the saved settings on the tablet, and resume working? I can't seem to find a way to do it.

Hoping you can help.

Cheers
    Garry

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Standby is only available if you are using the Radio. The three way switch is Standby, Majestic, Remote.

If you have changed settings you need to 'write' them to the Movi. On the Android, make the changes, then click on the System Icon in the upper right corner of the screen. Then click on Write Settings. That will write them to the MoVI and when you re-power the unit those will be the default settings.

10. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Ah ha. Hadn't noticed that on the controller. Also the writing of the settings is now all too logical. Thanks for the tips Gary.

Cheers
    Garry