/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi glitch in flight

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Ian Howe, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Ian Howe

Ian Howe New Member

We have been flying our movi mr under our skyjib 8 and are getting a strange glitch where if the movi is in remote mode and the camera is angled down from the horizontal, every now and again the camera will snap back to horizontal level position. It's as if the signal has been lost and the movi has returned to magestic mode. Our setup is as follows, the movi is hung under the skyjib 8 on the anti vibration mount and therefore we are not using the mr legs. We are using a dx8 and the satellite receiver into the movi. We also have a spektrum ar6210 receiver on the movi to operate shutter release on the camera. Both the movi and ar6210 are bound to the dx8. We have tried flying in normal and airborne modes and the problem occurs in both modes. I have installed a longer cable on the satellite to a better position for reception. Looking for other ideas to check out!

2. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

HI Ian,

--Have you tried to replicate with just the satellite receiver and NO ar6210?
    --Is your MoVI Aux pack fully charged?
    --Do you have an AVD on the kopter or gimbal?

Greetings,
    Adam

3. Ian Howe

Ian Howe New Member

Hi Adam,

Removing the ar6210 was going to be my next test but we then started having wookong issues so still to do.
    Pack was fully charged
    Sorry what do you mean by AVD? Video downlink?

4. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

I see, hope the WKM issue gets sorted out. Yes, AVD--wireless video downlink.

Greetings,
    Adam

5. Ian Howe

Ian Howe New Member

Adam hope to get the wookong sorted tomorrow. Yes we have tried two downlinks, one paralinx tomahawk type system and a 5.8ghz immersion rc system, both act in the same way! Guess it's time to try satellite on its own perhaps two receivers bound to the same transmitter may cause issues.

Jason Herring likes this.
  6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ian can you share some photos or diagrams on your receiver setup? Might help with trouble shooting or suggestions. I've run dual Futaba receivers without problem and have some Spektrum setup data that might help. On the road so can't send the info. Also how did you do the binding of the two receivers?

7. Ian Howe

Ian Howe New Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Here are a few photo's of the receiver setup. The satellite is on the bottom of the roll axis metal bar and the ar6210 is mounted on the side of the box that I think the movi gps unit runs into. Power for the ar6210 is supplied from a bec and the gear channel from it used to trigger the shutter. Binding was done by connecting the satellite receiver to the ar6210 and then bound to the dx8. The satellite was then removed from the ar6210 and connected to the movi receiver.

8. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Ian,

What are the specs. on the downlink Tx mounted to the rear? The only time that I experienced an irregularity with the MoVI (similar to what you had) was with the Tomahawk on-board. It was mounted on the rear landing gear leg of the rig. I noticed at times that the MoVI was bouncing back in forth from dual op mode to "stabilized mode". Paralinx doesn't have much for specs. on that Tx...curious what kinda boost its kicking out.

All that being said, you might trying moving the downlink Tx further away from your Spektrum receivers.

Greetings,
    Adam

9. Ian Howe

Ian Howe New Member

Adam, we have a aminon Hd downlink which is the same specs as the tomahawk (they make the inners for paralinx I believe) and as you can see in the photos we have tried a immersion rc 600mw sad transmitter. The problem exists with both systems. I am going to do some more testing tomorrow to see if I can cure the problem.

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ian agree with Adams comments and I would also try moving the AR to another location since it also emit emi. Just the thought that it is on a different power supply.

11. Ian Howe

Ian Howe New Member

Just a quick update on the issue we are having, I have moved both the satellite and the Ar unit as can be seen in the images attached. This has not solved the problem. I have even tried removing the ar unit and running just the satellite unit but the gimbal still drops into what must be majestic mode for a split second, enough to ruin the shots. Any other ideas?
    image.jpg image.jpg

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

13. Ian Howe

Ian Howe New Member

No but I will now!

14. Nick Wolcott

Nick Wolcott Member

Ian- I had a similar problem when I was using the Spektrum satellite and switched to Futaba and that fixed the problem. Then you can use one rx for the Movi and shutter as well.

15. Ian Howe

Ian Howe New Member

Hi Nick, Can you describe your radio setup please?

16. Nick Wolcott

Nick Wolcott Member

I use the Futaba 8fg with the 6208 rx that comes with it. It's nice for Movi op cause you can use the two knobs above the power switch for pan and tilt rates. The sbus runs to the movi and I use channel 8 for an aux switch.

17. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Yes, this seems to be a limitation of the Spektrum Tx/Rx as there does not seem to be a reliable way to shoe-horn a channel out of the sum signal. This is possible with Futaba and Graupner systems. The MoVI IMU has an expansion port which would be handy for these types of Aux camera controls, but not currently supported.

Greetings,
    Adam

18. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Ian, can you try relocatting your downlink away from the spektrum receiver to see if that helps?

Tabb

19. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Echoing Tabb's comments try removing both the downlink and the what looks like and HDMI converter away from the MoVI electronics.

As test try removing those items and run just the Spektrum the way you have it setup. If you still have the glitch try plugging just the Sat receiver into the MoVI and test.

Process of elimination should help get this sorted out.

20. Mike Hagadorn

Mike Hagadorn Member

Sorry if I missed this but what is the typical range you are getting with the system before you experience the glitch?

Cheers
    Mike