/dist/images/branding/favicon

Complete Movi Setup

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Andrew Hewson, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Andrew Hewson

Andrew Hewson Member

Hi there,

I've been reading through the forums and I've seen a number of different peoples thoughts.
    But I'd like to know what would be the ideal set up would be for the Movi10? What brands and models are best for the wireless follow focus, wireless HD SDI monitoring and anything else that would be needed for a full/ideal setup?

2. Eric Yealland

Eric Yealland New Member

Ditto, I'm picking mine up today and curious about thoughts on best setup.

3. Andrew Hewson

Andrew Hewson Member

4. Chris Herr

Chris Herr Member

I'd like to know what people are doing with the paralinx primarily. I can see it being mounted on camera, to eliminate all cables going from the camera to the operator but notice that powering the unit may be an issue without a proper power adapter from a lipo battery. The other way I see is to wire an HDMI up to the crossbar and power the paralinx off of the DP4 USB port which isn't terrible, but can present issues with the wire becoming tangled mid shot. Any recommendations on this?

5. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

First, I recommend steering clear of powering the Paralinx from the SmallHD monitors. They perform better with 2 amps of juice, but the monitors only kick out 1 amp. Range will improve substantially with more juice. Second, a thin HDMI cable properly ran from the gimbal to the crossbars is not a problem. Ultrathin cables can be found from Freefly or Amazon that do the job nicely.

6. Joe Hell

Joe Hell Member

You can get a camlinx Tx for your hdmi transmitter (paralinx, camera motion research, teradek...). You will get a connector to fix to your monitor and a dock for the usb battery
    http://www.camotionllc.com/radian-a-106.html

7. Chris Herr

Chris Herr Member

I did not know that about the DP4, thank you. I guess a Li-Po with battery alarm to P-tap would be a better method. As for the hyper thin cables, my method is to put a right angle connector on the camera end and run it straight up to where the pan motor mounts, leaving enough slack for full movement. Does that sound about right?

8. Austin Glass

Regarding the cable run, yes, that's essentially what we are doing. We run the microRemote motor cable and the HDMI between the gimbal and the crossbar. The camera is powered via internal battery. All other power and acc. are on the crossbar.

Kyler Zee likes this.
  9. Andrew Hewson

Andrew Hewson Member

Austin is there anything you recommend ordering accessorise wise when shipping the Movi? I've read it's better to get some extra pieces straight up rather than trying to get them later? What would you recommend getting extra items of etc?

10. Austin Glass

Do you mean accessories from Freefly, or accessories in general?

11. Andrew Hewson

Andrew Hewson Member

I mean from the Freefly store.

12. Austin Glass

Ah, well in that case, I recommend getting a couple extra batteries for sure. Also, if you already know what follow focus you're using, and you plan to power it with a lipo, you can grab the jst adaptor of your choice.

I guess really it depends on how confident you are in how you plan to build up your rig.

13. Philip Aarseth

Hey Austin,

do you have a picture of your rig?
    and does not using a wired solution up the arm cause the MOVI's performance to falter?

14. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Another good reason for putting the Paralinx (or Bolt) on the frame with the microRemote is that you can actually power the wireless video transmitter through the microRemote Basestation's Accessory Port with a custom cable.

One battery to rule them all!

15. Philip Aarseth

Do you then put both the base station and the paralinx transmitter on the frame?

So you would have two cables going down the arm, power for the motor from the base station and an hdmi coming from the camera and up to the paralinx?

I really appriciate you being active here btw, Loren :) helps out a lot!

Loren Simons likes this.
  16. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Yeah the two cables would be just fine, especially one of those ultra-thin hdmi cables. I would zip-tie them together.

Or, you can kill two birds with one stone and pick up Austin's HDMI and Motor and HDMI Cable for the microRemote, which I have not personally used but I'm sure it works great!

And no problem Philip, we're all just a bunch of film nerds nerd-ing out, couldn't ask for more!

17. Philip Aarseth

Awesome!

Hoping to try this out soon!

18. Austin Glass

Thanks Loren, for the plug ;).

Philip, when using the ultrathin HDMI cables and a flexible motor cable, I think it is the best way to mount in most situations. Havig the Basestation on the crossbar allows you to power it from up there as well, and since you likely want a monitor on the crossbar, then it makes sense to also run the video TX from there as well. That setup requires two cables to run up from above to down below; an HDMI cable and a motor cable. We made a very flexible combo cable that has both, but we will also have just a flexible motor cable available soon for those that prefer to have the cables separate, or who are using SDI instead of HDMI.

19. Philip Aarseth

Thanks Daniel,

I will for sure consider getting me one of those sweet cables!

20. Kyler Zee

Kyler Zee New Member

Hey Austin,

Any idea when those cables you're making will be back in stock? Your site says they're sold out now. Thanks!