/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

I am waiting on some screws to arrive so I can attach my allied drones quick release to the gimbal. It's hard to really tell much by holding that little disk with my fingers. I would say it's definitely worth the money though. The torque seems to be pretty impressive!

I will post my findings here. My new bird will be here Tuesday as well so I can actually fly one of these gimbals soon. Went with vulcan octo, avroto lift 3520s and tiger 16" cf props. wookong FC with IMU upgrade.

Howard Dapp likes this.
  2. Milo Heaton

Milo Heaton New Member

Is there an optimal place to place the AlexMos gimbal controller IMU? I have seen IMU's mounted all over the camera, under the camera and on the tilt motor etc.

In other threads sometimes when there is a stability problem I have seen moving the IMU solves the problem. So that makes me wonder is there a best location for the IMU?

Should the IMU be 100% rigid mounted or some vibration tape used?

3. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Hi had my IMU on the right side top of the horizontal camera boom but had issues with opening the battery compartment of the camera since I had it protected inside a small plastic project box, also I hid part of the cable trough the right side horizontal boom but that created tension on the cable 45cm long I needed at least 50, recently I change the IMU it be on the same camera boom but right under the camera and the cable straight back to the alexmos Board this sims to be working better
    I was wondering if placing the IMU closer to the lens axis would help IMG_0010.jpg

Steve Maller likes this.
  4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Another couple flights with some more tuning. No stabilization in post.

Dave King and Bill Collydas like this.
  5. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

That's awesome Steve. Congrats.
    Bill

6. Cedar Beauregard

Cedar Beauregard New Member

7. Bill Collydas

Excellent Cedar, nice footage love the sound track but the little guy/girl stole the show.

Bill

8. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Nice piece super stable if you do another one may I ask for a Gopro on the back of someone helmet the cameraman has to look cool too..

9. Patrick Thompson

Looks great- good to see the full "ENG" style load out with mic & monitor.

Favourite part was the off-piste bobble head at 4:00, reminds me of my first days on the slopes. Nice build Cedar.

10. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Aw
    Awesome Cedar, please tell us more about it all.
    Regards from Sweden.
    Janne

Devin Card likes this.
  11. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

Hi Guys!
    You are all super inspiring and creative and I wish all of you the best in the new year!!!:)

A quick question, is there a list of must haves for tools or accessories when building a custom brushless gimbal? Got most of parts and alexmos coming but just wondering what I am missing?
    Thanks for all you help in the last year!
    Cheers,
    Devin

12. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

Hi folks, wish you all a happy new year!

I'm building a brushless cinestar 3-axis gimbal conversion for my new sony a7R, it's almost finished but i got a broken gbm4108 from a shop, reordered a new one immediately but it was broken again! The problem was that the cables didn't held anymore to the motor, the glue was off and then it bounced in the package and broke an internal small wire. Now i think about replacing all my gbm's by dualsky motors. Does anyone of you use dualsky motors? I thought about a 4010, 5010 and 5015 for tilt roll and pan with belt reduction on a gimbal with an overall weight of 2.5kg incl. All parts, Camera, motors and lipo.
    Any suggestions are welcome! :)

13. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

Besides good hexa-tools, side-cutters, a "dremel", bevel box and soldering station; the crimping tool becames my best friend while building my gimbal ;)
    i wish you good succes with your project!

Devin Card likes this.
  14. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Sam, with this setup what will be your AUW with camera and accessories? Which 16" prop will you use? Thanks

15. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

AUW is 30 pounds and I'm using the tiger cf 16x5.4 props this is a flat 8 with boom 1 as a mantis.
    What are you running?

16. kjetil tønnesen

her is my gimble testing:

Patrick Thompson likes this.
  17. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

Hey guys,

I have converted my 3axis to brushless over he last couple days (with a lot of help from this thread) and I have a few questions left that I am hoping somebody may have the answers to.

My setup is using 3x GB85 motors and the 3axis Basecam board from brushlessgimbals http://brushlessgimbals.com/p/8745806/high-power-3-axis-alexmos-controller.html

I have it set up pretty well, good stabilization but not test flights yet (Toronto has been a bit too cold for that). I should get my first one in tomorrow or Monday when I head down to Arizona.

The part that I am having trouble with is setting up a 3 position switch for arming/disarming the gimbal. I have the switch set on my controller, and I can see in the alexmos GUI that it responds, but I cant seem to actually program the three modes inside of he GUI. On the RC SETTINGS tab, I have LOW/MID/HIGH set to profile 1/2/3 respectively. I have been able to program my profile for the HIGH position, but the GUI doesn't seem to let me choose profile 1 or 2 in order to program them. The drop down above LOAD and SAVE only has the current profile that I am working in and nothing else.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to posting some test videos once I have it worked out in a few days!

Thanks a lot!

Mike

18. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

Heres a video of my bird/gimbal in action, still some gimbal and vibration isolation tuning to do but overall I'm liking the results. This bird is 16LBS AUW Hex, brushless on roll and tilt, 3rd axis will be servo/radian but not hooked up yet. Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera with Sanyang 16mm cinema lens, heavy lens for flying but the only lens i have for right now and i use it for my hand rig as well.

19. Bill Collydas

20. Andreas Kielb

Andreas Kielb New Member

Hi Bill,

this is an older post from December of you. Do you use those settings with high gyro sensitivity enabled or disabled?
    I have the pids in that area as well (with a little lower power settings) and get better results when I enable high gyro sensitivity but not perfect yet. Walking is ok but running not really. My motors are 8017.

Best regards,
    Andreas