/dist/images/branding/favicon

Power MOD for Paralinx Receiver

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Greg Hughs, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Greg Hughs

Greg Hughs New Member

Hi all,

I wanted to share a power modification I made to power the Paralinx receiver in my MoVI kit. I am using an Ikan VX7i monitor with a Sony NP-F970 battery plate.

I took apart the battery connector and soldered the Voltage Regulator that came with my Paralinx directly to the power board in the connector. I then super glued the voltage regulator to the outside of the battery plate.

In doing this, I eliminated 1 extra type of battery that needs to ship with my MoVI package (the Mophie juicepack).

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      935 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      963.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      920.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      753.5 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      640.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Lael Camak

Lael Camak Member

Hi Greg,

Now THAT is clever. I might give that a try for the both remote operator and Focus puller setups.

I have been looking for ways to power the multiple items on the MoVI. I have looked at something like this power distributor so I can power my Epic, lens control, and wireless video.
    What I'd really like is just the distributor part without the Vmount to mount beside the camera. Then I'd run power from the handle to the splitter beside the camera - which would then break out to power the camera, ffocus and Wireless video. Anyone know where I could find just the distribution part?
    All the best,
    lael
    VMountPower Distrb.jpg

3. Norbert Blenk

Norbert Blenk Member

Hi Lael,

what about this:
    http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catal...sories/power-distribution-powerPack-Universal

But i don't know if this box provides enough power to run an EPIC. I tried to find out, but wasn't successful.
    Actually i decided to build my own Powerbox together with the german company CINE60 wich build these "BLOQ"-Batteries.
    I would like to run the whole Movi-System on just one V-Mount battery mounted to the handrail. Hotswapable, with the option to carry the batteries on my body also.
    I will meet them again on Friday...perhaps i can tell you more in two days.

Cheers
    Norbert

4. Lael Camak

Lael Camak Member

Hi Norbert,

Thanks for that link. I had not seen that box from RR. Their website has seemed to grow exponentially and I can't keep up. I'll look into it.

I am a little concerned about the power draw on one battery from both an Epic and FFocus. Won't know until I try it. I also have the same idea you mentioned about carrying the batteries on my body. In a lot of cases, this would help greatly to get some weight off the setup. I'm sure it is a common idea with ops using larger cameras on the M10.
    Yes, please update us on what you find out.
    All the best,
    lael

5. Greg Hughs

Greg Hughs New Member

Lael,

I, too, was looking at that power distribution solution, but realized, keeping shipping weights in mind, that that solution would add too much to my package and case. In practice, here's what I've needed to power on my MoVI setup.

1) the MoVI itself (handled by a single, dedicated LiPO battery)
    2) My RedRock Follow Focus system (Which I'm currently using a LiPO battery with JST to Lemo connector. Works great, lasts all day).
    3) The Camera (I've been using dedicated batteries, hard mounted, or internal to the Camera Canon 5d or EPIC side handle).
    4) Small HD DP4, off the camera stage, so not affecting weight on the MoVI motors (Sony NP-F970 battery dual plate)
    5) Paralinx Transmitter attached to the DP4 (I have been using the USB cable that Freefly sells to pass the power through the DP4 and into the transmiter, but after seeing a post here and confirming with Small HD, I have found out that the USB port only supplies about half the amperage needed for the Transmitter. So, I will be doing a similar mod to the DP4 battery plate with another Volatage regulator and that will supply full power to my Paralinx transmitter.)

So, in the end, I will have:
    2 x LiPOs on my MoVI
    Camera independent battery
    Sony NP-F970s on my monitor, and of course, the Sony batteries on the external monitors away from the MoVI.

All of the above (minus camera) comes out to about 48 lbs when packed in my Cinema Oxide case.

6. Lael Camak

Lael Camak Member

Hi Greg,

That looks good. Good to hear the Lipo powers the RR FFocus. Maybe that is an option.
    One of my concerns to balance against weight is cable hang-age. In my current config, I could have up to 5 cables hanging.
    1 - Power to Epic (I don't use the Redvolts or side grip)
    2 - EVF cable from Epic to Red LCD on the handles
    3 - Power to RR FFocus
    4 - Power OR HDMI to Paralinx (depending on where I mount the Paralinx)
    5 - Thumb control to RR FFocus (tho not always used)

Now this would add weight, but by placing a power distribution on the gimbal, I could limit it to 3 cables (or 2 if I don't use the thumbwheel).
    1 - Power to Distibution box (batteries hanging off me so less weight on the handles)
    2 - EVF cable from Epic to Red LCD on the handles
    Again, problem here is weight on the gimbal.
    PowerPack from RR is 3.2 oz
    RR FFocus setup with Basestation is 1 lb. 5 oz +/-
    Epic 5 Lbs
    Paralinx - 4oz ?
    Lens 3 lbs +/-
    So I'm in a range of 10 - 10.5 lbs on the gimbal and my Vmounts are on my belt (and I'm running the Epic for much longer than Redvolts).

Please note that the above second config is theoretical - I don't have the RR FFocus in yet nor have I ordered their PowerPack.

All the best,
    lael

7. Lael Camak

Lael Camak Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to follow up on Norbert's input:

With 160wh Vmounts (the ones I have, not necessarily a minimum), RR seems to think that their PowerPack will power the Epic, RR FFocus, and Paralinx with no issues. They also said the Powerpack is 3.2oz. That seems a bit lighter than what it looks like - does anyone have one?

8. Albert Chang

Albert Chang Member

we made some simple but effective cables to fit our need...
    we also try to reduce the weight of the overall systems, but yet trying to make our life easier in the setup...
    so we made a cable that split from the Freefly lipo (JST-F) -> a P-Tap + JST-M...
    so the P-Tap goes into the RRM FF system and JST-M go straight to the Movi...
    apparently it works and works well... a standard movi battery lasted 4 hours with FF system and movi at the same time.

in addition, we customized another cable that has a P-Tap -> JST... reason we did that was we can find a fairly cheap LiPo battery from a RC car shop here locally... for the same 14.4V 2650mA we got for less than $20. and it's a quick and easy fix to our battery issue.

but of course myself not happy with the length of the operating time. so we made a 4000mA 14.4V LiPo that is almost same size of the Movi battery, except it's slightly wider and longer. We believe that with the 4000mA, it would be able to last the RRM FF + Movi for at least 6-8 hrs of operation.

[​IMG]

9. Norbert Blenk

Norbert Blenk Member

Hi my friends,

this is a very interesting thread, indeed!
    There are two things wich i think are not working:
    First, i do not believe that the RR powerbox will provide enough force to run the Epic! Think of cable diameters and the small Lemo-Plugs.
    This Camera draws about 60 to 70 Watts in normal conditions...perhaps more. It is 5-6A.
    The RR Microremote will take up to 3A max as written in their manual.
    Second, if you want to power the whole system like i want to do, you will have the Monitor, the Paralinx or Terradek transmitter and the Movi itself in addition.
    You will end at about 10 to 12 Ampere out of a Liion v-mount batterie... It is far too much, i think.

My configuration will be a v-mount plate on the top rail and from there...
    - Two cables to the inside of the gimbal, placed like the original wires along the arms of the Movi. One for the Red, one for the FF. All other cameras will be powerd by their own batteries.
    -USB power to the Paralinx.
    -Power to the Monitor
    -Power to the Movi.

A input Plug for external Power (a powerbelt for example, or a backpack), which makes it swappable on the fly.

Everything with the BLOQ batterie from CINE60.

I will let you know, if it works.... :)

Cheers Norbert

10. Albert Chang

Albert Chang Member

i guess my intend for now is to drive the movi + FF for now...
    no added monitor at this point, (the monitor has it's own battery), and the transmitter also has it's own battery at this point (we are not using the paralinx or terradek... a little rich for our blood now)...
    so we are only trying to reduce additional weight and real-estate on the unit.
    the gage of the cable concerns me as well, so we did bump up to a better gage cable to handle the load.

i will keep it posted for the progress...

albert

11. Greg Hughs

Greg Hughs New Member

Hey guys, quick update. I ran my system today for about an hour, and then everything fell apart, signal-wise. The batteries just aren't powerful enough to make the monitors and transmitter/receiver combination work. Back to the Mophie and Small HD loop-though power, while I return to the drawing board.

12. Albert Chang

Albert Chang Member

we got the 4000mA lipo battery today and here is what it looks like
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

H
    Hi Greg,

I'm planning the same solution right now, you wrote the system run for an hour and fell apart. Was the first hour working flawlessly?
    Maybe the batteries were old? The power we need for monitor/rx combination is about 20 watts/3A maximum, that should be possible with the 970's.....

Could you describe the problems a bit further?

Thanks and best regards,

Wolf

14. Chris mierzwinski

Albert nice sourcing out the batts. They will stick out a bit obviously. But that's not an issue. I wonder if they fit into the Movi battery cage? If so nice find! :)

Can you post the link to these where you bought them.

15. Albert Chang

Albert Chang Member

the z height fits with in the cage, but the x and y were slight bigger...
    obviously the Y is longer... it measures 12-14cm... which stick out but does not interfere with the Movi...
    the X is wider, we did remove one of the screw (extremely tight screw) to accommodate the batt... other than that, it works great...
    we purchased this batt locally in Asia, and it was a custom batt... 14.4V 4000mA...~$50 each...

16. Ikbal Arafa

Ikbal Arafa New Member

Hi,
    I'm about to order a Movi M10 and I'm seriously thinking about powering all the set up on one V mount battery (Movi, Canon 5D MKIII, Paralinx Transmitter, SmallHD DP4 and RR Follow focus)
    What do you think about using an Anton Bauer PowerTap Multi + an IDX V mount plate ?
    I will use a Switronix adapter for the 5D and the regular DTap power cables for the Movi and the other accessories.
    The added weight should be around 400 to 500gr compared to a normal setup ( 01x lipo for the Movi, 01x Lipo for the RR follow, 01x Lpe6 Battery for the 5D and 02x Lpe6 Batteries for the Dp4 and the paralinx) It will depend on the V mount battery size of course.
    I don't have a Movi in front of me to test everything. I'm just sharing some thoughts ;-)
    Regards,
    Ikbal

Attached Files:

17. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

I don´t like using all gear powered from the same battery...it is all or nothing. I power the Movi with its own battery and all the rest with one other battery. And having soares of both is advisable. :)

18. Ikbal Arafa

Ikbal Arafa New Member

Hi Augusto. What kind of battery do you use for the other accessories?

19. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

Hi Ikbal:

The rest of the gear is follow focus, paralinx and monitor. Monitor I use the Canon batteries which and the ones used. The rest I use a lipo with a voltage regulator. The mophie would be ok but bulkier and less mah than the lipo.

Ikbal Arafa likes this.
  20. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

To give you all a quick update: I´m successfully running Monitor and Paralinx combinations, all powered by the Sony N-FP 970 batteries.

On the rig i have (momentary) a lilliput 5.6 " monitor , an SDI-HDMI converter and the PAralinx TX, all powered by the Sony battery and 3A BEC, on the operator desk i have a Swit 1071 monitor and the Paralinx RX same power solution. For follow focus i use the TVlogic 056 wp monitor and Paralinx, also with N-FP plate...

The runtime of all the components is at least 2.5 hours, i didn´t test it any longer to protect the batteries, but this is long enough for me.
    So i have just two types of batteries (FF Lipo for rig and Heden controller/Sony for all the other stuff), which is exactly the easy way i always had in mind. I even don´t power anything up or down when changing batts, its just swap and run…. ;-)

Cheers,

Wolf

Attached Files: