/dist/images/branding/favicon

operating at near freezing point

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Albert Chang, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Albert Chang

Albert Chang Member

we are trying everything we can with the Movi. and recently we tried at near freezing point to see how it handles the cold weather.
    and as we suspected, the power become our biggest challenge. the LiPo drop so fast that it took us by surprise. we barely get 1.5 hours of operation and our 1st LiPo went dead.
    it force us to pull out the 4000mAh mods LiPo and it also didn't get too far with that either.
    I am wondering has anyone experience this in their Movi operation? and if 0 degree C is consider a possible operational temperature.

thanks

albert

2. Jason Eaton

Jason Eaton New Member

We're going out this afternoon at -2 deg C. I'll let you know how it goes

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

All lipos don't like cold temps. Best to keep them inside your jacket when not running them. And don't run them down to empty. That siad folks are operating sub zero fahrenheit. You just aren't going to get 4 hours out of the battery. They just want some warmth just like you.:)

4. Jason Eaton

Jason Eaton New Member

In fact all lipos perform optimally at a mean temp of 35 deg C. Flying in subzero temps cuts my flight time(s) by almost 40% at times. We built a special heated box for them since we usually travel with 20-30 packs at a time and only take them out minutes before use.

5. Albert Chang

Albert Chang Member

heat box? sounds interesting... any design suggestion?

6. Jason Eaton

Jason Eaton New Member

7. Jason Eaton

Jason Eaton New Member

You can also google "Lipo battery warmer" Hobbyking has them as well as various other outlets. If the only batteries you are heating are for movi a warming bag should work, in my case I usually travel and fly with 3 different MR's so I need a larger container.