/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

HI guys Im sure you guys have follow Mario de Ross with his custom gimbal and doble tilt motors and doble roll motors some time ago I thought he had solve the torque problems with that set up, now recently he posted new pictures of a new gimbal with belt drive on pan and roll I wonder how that is going?

On another note: I always had the theory in my head if it would be better to let the camera be a little bottom heavie to help the roll motor with some gravity what do you guys think

2. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

If the camera is bottom heavy you might not be able to tilt the camera to 90 degrees

Bill

3. Ary Suryanto

Ary Suryanto New Member

3 month ago on this set up(5D+Cinema lens 15mm= 2.5kg), Im using 3S 1000mah battery. Gimbal should balance perfectly, it can tilt down 90 degree without problem.
    Gimbal works good stabilizing image during chasing tanker
    FYI : IMU sensor felt just second before shoot started/tanker start to move, so in desperate move I have to put it on flash shoe

Attached Files:

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Ary, that’s awesome. Where did you get those landing gear legs or extensions? I went with a super ghetto version of that, but I’m afraid that they’re not going to hold up very well.

Attached Files:

5. Bill Collydas

Those are the extensions I use on my gimbals
    hehe

6. Steve Maller

Mine or Ary’s? I actually have a set of 3 landing gears with shocks and rubber wheels, but they seemed like they’d put too much stress on the Cinestar landing gear, so I never used them. But the ones Ary’s using look perfect.

7. Bill Collydas

8. Bill Collydas

You cannot drill holes on carbon tubes, it weakens the structure.

Bill

Steve Maller likes this.
  9. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Hi Bill yes you are right but here is my theory first you have the tilt axis perfectly balance by racing or lowering the camera in relation to the camera mounting tray, then with the arms at 90 degrees you find the roll balance by sliding the camera left or right, ok now if you play with the 2 tilt horizontal arms a little up or a little down you offset the roll axis CG
    example, if the bars are higher than the CG of the roll the camera is going to want to turn upside down, if the bars are lower than the roll CG the camera will want to rotate or roll down right side up
    analyzing the roll CG it has 2 ways to find neutral 1 been the side to side of the camera the other by adjusting the angle of the 2 horizontal arms
    so my theory is, once you find the tilt CG and the roll CG by side to side, then by moving just a little the 2 arms from 90 so its bottom heave the camera would just want to go to a horizontal position by gravity therefor helping the roll motor get there faster the roll is an axis that mostly we all leave to work automatic and we all mostly want it to be perfectly horizontal
    I think that FF on the Movi with the stiff horizontal 90 degree aluminum bracket they don't not need the help of gravity because the roll motor has plenty of torque plus they solve the issue of those 2 bars drifting down with a heavier payload
    what do you think?

10. Ary Suryanto

Ary Suryanto New Member

Wich one? In shooting tanker I use regular cinestar extension leg. On my pcit profile I bought from famous hobby.
    Yes, I agree with you Bill. it weakens the structure. But I didnt drill hole on tube

11. Ary Suryanto

Ary Suryanto New Member

Bill,
    What is the best solution to lift RED?
    Using 3 Iflight 8017 on 3 axis? or 2 IFlight 8017 on roll & pan + 2 Iflight 5108(200T) on tilt? Which one you can recomend?
    Next week I will have assignment(movie) to carry RED running around football field, similar like World cup tvcom.(by F. Coppola)

12. Steve Maller

Bill's comment about weakening the structure was in reference to my hacked up CF tube extension for my gear.
    I ordered the same extension you're using. Thank you!
    Steve

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

But you do have the advantage that, for every hard landing, you can collect geological samples.... :)

Andy.

14. Bill Collydas

If you going to be running around then I syggest 2 5108 on tilt, GB85-1 on roll and this one http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...Adapter-Kit-fo-GBM8017/109347_1524374419.html you need that extra torque and stopping power when you run.
    I hope this helps.

Bill

15. Bill Collydas

@Jose,
    Depends what motor you use. If the pole count is high then it might center quicker but if the pole count is low then it will stop between the magnets.
    Why move the camera side to side.
    Put the camera dead center do all your balancing and then adjust the roll motor from side to side.
    I found out that if I use the RED with the Redvolt is not much room to move the camera. That's why I reposition the roll motor left and right.
    On my setups I use the Manfroto or the Giotto's quick disconnect.
    I prefer the Giotto cause there's a longer plate available. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ease_Assembly.html/c/product/#inpage:IN+STOCK

regards
    Bill

16. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

Hey Bill,
    Is there any special set up with that 8017 belt reduction pan axis from aliexpress? Do you still set it for 28 polls? What about power and PIDs? I've heard people say you want to get the belt as right as possible and that it can be a little bit notchy. What are your thoughts? I just got mine but havnt set it up yet.

17. Ary Suryanto

Ary Suryanto New Member

18. Steve Maller

I have seen the light! I flew my GH3 with its 12-35mm lens set to the 35mm end (which is 70mm equivalent in full frame) and the results are pretty terrific. The enclosed footage is completely unstabilized and straight out of the camera. The gimbal could still use some tuning but I’m super happy. Oh, and I solved the problem of actuating the pitch from my transmitter by adding a ground wire to the servo connection. Works great!

19. Bill Collydas

@Sam,
    You want to get your belt tight enough so that there is no backlash but not too tight.
    I you have a low pole count (28) then you should multiply it by the reduction ratio you have. If the pole count is High (42) then don't.
    The 8108's are 42 poles and the GB85-1 are about 200
    So, with the GB you don't multiply the poles (you can't go any higher than 255 in the GUI anyway)
    I never multiply mine and I have no issues.
    Resolution is better by multiplying but you have to watch your power input

Bill

20. Bill Collydas

Steve that is awesome, keep playing with it and you will get it spot on.
    Bill