/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Cedar Beauregard

Cedar Beauregard New Member

Bill have you ever used the GB85-1 on pan without reduction? You mention a reduction for the video above?

thanks,

Cedar

2. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

I have a handheld brushless gimbal with 8018 on all 3 axis. I have a nikon d800 with 24-120mm zoom and it is perfectly balanced. In follow mode it is pretty smooth. Whenever I pitch or pitch and yaw with the transmitter i get a slight vibration on the camera. I have the lpf and speed at 4 and 6. Any reason why it would act this way with the transmitter only? Is anyone using Ferrite Rings? would this play a factor?

3. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

HELP
    1. Could u please tell me what are those small white connectors at both ends of the wire that is used to connect the Spectrum or JR Sat Tx. these are the three wire type. A lot of my wires have broken off, and wish to make my own.
    2. armbgc sensor also uses these same size connectors, but with four wise system...
    3. From where can i order them.
    4. Also could u please let me know where can i order the crimping tool for these Sat Rx tiny connectors.
    5. I already have the Standard Servo connector crimping tool... Got is from http://hansenhobbies.com but i have doubts if this crimping tool will do the job for the Sat Rx connectors.
    many thanks.
    Ramesh

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Ramesh:
    I'm pretty sure they're called Molex Microblade connectors.
    http://www.molex.com/molex/products/family?channel=products&chanName=family&key=microblade

You are going to have to do some Google searching (as I would have to) to find a source for the right connector and the crimping tool (which I doubt will be the one from Hansen).

OK, you piqued my curiosity:
    Crimper: $282.79 http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70090692
    Connectors: http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/microblade-51004-series/8429

Caution: Let's see if someone more knowledgeable can verify that they are indeed Microblade connectors.

Andy.

5. Erik Ronald

Erik Ronald Member

Ah, I got ya! Yes, I'll let the video stand as is and let people make their own minds up on where to pull the trigger. I am sure the facts will speak for themselves!

6. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

hi Andy..
    did some web hunting
    hansenhobbies has the connectors for Spectrum Sat Rx... they are 1.5mm
    http://www.hansenhobbies.com/products/connectors/150mm/150mm_1x3/
    BUT
    can't understand why he does not keep the crimping tool for these 1.5mm Sat Rx terminals.
    Although his crimping tool for servos wires is only $39.95 which is good for hobby guys
    the Molex crimping tool is 282.79 which is toooo hugeeeee
    rather order a third axis for my brushless gimbal and motor instead of the Molex crimping tool hahahaha
    Ramesh

7. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

Im just starting to tune my converted cinestar gimbal with alexmos and a gh3, Im using 5108 on tilt and roll and a 8017 on pan. Can any one share there settings for these motors?

Also is there a big difference between 8khz and 32khz? Is 8khz recomeneded?

8. Peter Gøthche

Why dos my gimbal drift on the Roll?? I have tryed to calibrate.

As soon as it moves forward it starts to drift, it has never done that before, what Can it be!?

Please help, i have i job coming up

9. Basile Collydas

Basile Collydas New Member

If ouy are using a cinestar type gimbal make sure all the arms are square and lavel. |t has nothing to do with calibration.

Bill

10. Peter Gøthche

The funny thing is that it has worked fine up until now. It is Like it has lost Its calibration??

11. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

If the clamps are a bit loose then it might shift from the original position. Check it out.

Bill

12. Peter Gøthche

No Its perfectly balanced, iam uploading i movie right now so you Can se the problem

13. Peter Gøthche

Here is my problem

14. Bill Collydas

To me it looks like the motor let go.
    Do you have another motor to try?
    Bill

15. Peter Gøthche

No Its not letting go, remember Its perfectly In balance

16. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Hi

Attached are some pictures of my CS 3-Axis into brushless conversion and the present GUI values I use.

The roll and tilt work reasonably well, but as you can see from the video, the pan is not moving smoothly. Especially when I pan slowly, the movement is jerky, as if the pan was moving in steps. When the copter is on a table, the pan is not still either. It is moving back and forth.

Also the manual pitch control is drifting a little bit even when the transmitter stick is in middle position.

Any help solving these issues is much appreciated. I have iPower GMB8017-120T on pan and roll and RcTimer GBM8018 022-090T on tilt.

Attached Files:

RICHARD DEFARIAS likes this.
  17. Peter Gøthche

Ok i found the problem! Its a bug i the new update 2,3b5

18. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Hi Bill those results are great but I do see some issues. The horizon is constantly rolling left and right. There is also lot's of bouncing, not as smooth as it can be. That footage would need to be stabilized. The gimbal's stabilization should perform as though it is disconnected from the multirotor's frame movement. He may need to go back in and fiddle with some settings. Does belt reduction affect those quick fine movements?

I ran into this video the other day. Not sure what they are using but wow, look at how the mountains, horizon and sun hold position. I sent them a message and the only reply I got was it is 1:1 direct drive with 5D3 + 16-35mm @ 32mm. Can someone post performance from a belt reduction setup that equals the below video? We are considering reduction to gain more torque.

"by sending hard tilt and roll angle commands to the copter. We used the copter's landing gear as a visual reference for the copter's frame movement in relation to the camera gimbal's stability"

19. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Very nice but still a bit shaky. What is your setup? direct or reduction? When hovering in one position, the background should appear as though it is a still camera photo, there should not be any jerks, twitches, bouncing or slight horizon rolling for as long as you can hold that position while hovering...this is the standard airborne brushless gimbals should be set at and it is a reasonable goal.

20. Bill Collydas

@Howard.
    I agree with you that he has to play with the PID's but the footage is RAW no stabilization on, with the Canon 14mm lens.
    He has to do post processing afterwards anyway.
    The IMU will adjust the speed of the motor accordingly no matter how fast or slow the movements are.
    Bill